Tony Clark: "major announcement on 9/2 at high noon"

Regardless: Based on the strangeness of hyping up a ride "removal" announcement, it seems like Cedar Point's got something unique up their sleeves. Parks don't really tend to say, "Now, for the moment you've been waiting for... We're going to remove a ride. GET PUMPED!" Even parks with the ever-teasing hype machine that is Tony Clark as their public relations guy. There's something big to this that's yet to come. Stay tuned.

That is EXACTLY the thought then went across my mind when I saw this announcement.

Usually a roller coaster removal isn't necessarily "promoted".......

Really?

Rolling Thunder?

Really?

How so?

One difference is that Rolling Thunder was announced to be removed (supposedly) to make room for Big Droppy Thing.

The announcement was made to permanently close Mantis to make room for what?.....

Park goers had something to look forward to that was "replacing" Rolling Thunder, while Mantis is being "replaced" by what?...

As we all know by now, Cedar Fair is not Six Flags. Whatever this is, it's going to be unique and have an appeal to us enthusiasts. They wouldn't just "remove" Mantis.... would they?

They could. Why knows? And if so, does that area have an involvement in their 2015 plans? Later?
I've been wondering if a possible Mantis removal has more to do with 2016 or later than 2015. Possibly a dark ride similar to Guardian in 2015 somewhere else in the park. Then construction on a new large coaster beginning late in the 2015 season in the spot formerly occupied by Mantis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things - and please correct me if I'm wrong.

#1 - There is fresh paint on Mantis,albeit a different color from what is currently on the ride.

#2 - King's Dominion is removing Shockwave.

This means stand-up's days are being numbered?

Two things - and please correct me if I'm wrong.

#1 - There is fresh paint on Mantis,albeit a different color from what is currently on the ride.

#2 - King's Dominion is removing Shockwave.

This means stand-up's days are being numbered?

Kings Dominion is not removing Shockwave. Canada's Wonderland is removing their Skyrider.

I don't think they'd test paint on a ride to then have it moved to another park.

Just speculation on my part...but I can see a scenario where B&M has developed a new and improved "sit-down" train with the vest-style restraints found on Banshee and their Wing Coasters. Perhaps they want to sell these to parks with existing B&Ms (stand up and sit down) and retrofitting Mantis is a perfect way to showcase their new product. With new trains, fresh paint, and name change, the parks get to market a "new" coaster for a fraction of the cost, and the guest experience is better because of increased comfort. And B&M has another product to offer their existing customers, some of whom might not be in the market for a new coaster.

is there really market potential for new trains with vest restraints? I don't know, but somebody thought it worthwhile to put them on the Wing Coasters and Banshee, when the standard over-the-shoulder restraints would have been likely cheaper and perfectly functional.

That said, last month my family rode Mantis for the first time since 2001. I expected the worst and made sure restraints etc. were all adjusted properly, and kept my legs "shock-absorber" throughout. Result? We all loved it. A bit rough, but not enough to detract from a great ride. I'm glad my last ride on Mantis was a good one.

If they do switch to sit-down trains, I selfishly hope they have floors because my wife won't ride "feet danglers" (even Diamondback).

• Like 6

I saw that Cedar Point's FB had changed their cover photo to that of a black and white picture of Mantis and the "getting squashed" quote and October 19th date. I would think that if the ride were to be demolished, I just can't see them making a fuss over it in this manner. I mean if that were the case, wouldn't one think they would do the same for SkyRider? That ride is nearly 30yrs old and didn't receive near the attention Mantis has ( production quality video and cover photo change ).

My hopes are with new trains, color and name. The layout is still fun and I think would be better enjoyed with new trains that don't hurt your body in some way. For me, it hurt my legs. I would love to be able to ride this coaster without pain because I know other than the shooting pain in my legs after a lap around the track, the ride itself I found to be smooth. Never had head banging or anything of the sort and I always had my hands up!

Anyways, this will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Several hours ago Dorney Park tweeted using #DPstandsUPwithCP. Could they be relocating Mantis to Dorney?

See, I was thinking the same thing earlier when I saw the video. Steel Force at Dorney, ironically the logo for what Mantis was supposed to be, had the Grim Reaper also.

The name and logo for what would be come Mantis was Banshee.

2e0b3bd62731c9ec7bcff2adbfc1c25d.jpg

I scanned a old sticker if anyone wants to know where I got it.

• Like 3