Tony Clark: "major announcement on 9/2 at high noon"

Skyrider is not Mantis and CW is not CP. Their own marketing departments choose how to handle each situation.

No need to get nasty about it. I was just making my own personal statement...

This is the kind of attitude on this forum here lately that just makes me want to stop posting. The unnecessary attitude that comes across when just trying to have a friendly conversation and speculation on roller coasters.

• Like 2

That is very true. It's why I don't like emails or text messages. My mood affects how I'm trying to read someone else's emotions. Never works out.

On a side note, whatever CP has planned for Mantis, I won't be upset if this change means a more comfortable ride experience for others. I have not experienced the pain that other people have, and I'm not sure what I do differently than anyone else. I never have purposely positioned my body for a painless ride. A friend of mine and I rode it on a trip we made together years ago. We both had different experiences. He said his legs hurt while I had no after affects. We are both around the same height at 5'11". He weighed about 20 lbs more, but I have no idea if that even makes a difference.

• Like 1

Skyrider is not Mantis and CW is not CP. Their own marketing departments choose how to handle each situation.

No need to get nasty about it. I was just making my own personal statement...

This is the kind of attitude on this forum here lately that just makes me want to stop posting. The unnecessary attitude that comes across when just trying to have a friendly conversation and speculation on roller coasters.

I apologize. I didn't intend to come off as nasty at all.

All that I'm saying is that each park does its own thing and makes its own choices. You can not necessarily predict the actions of one based on the actions of another. Each park operates very independently of the next. There isn't a whole lot of intervention by corporate. That is a good thing, though - although they are run by the same company, each has its own personality.

• Like 9

I apologize if this has been brought up already. Currently as of today the only recent trademarks by Cedar Fair in the last year to be used on rides that are not already in use are Centurion and Rougarou. There is also the possibility it could be renamed after LeBron James. They mentioned Mantis being squashed which to me doesn't really highlight one of these while eliminating the others. If it were to fit a western or wooded theme I'd put money on Rougarou.

**Insert floorless trains with new B&M restraint system here**

**Insert new paint job/station**

NEW FOR 2015 A BRAND NEW B&M

SEASON PASS SALES START TODAY FOR 8 EASY PAYMENTS OF $19.99

/sarcasm

Really though this is great for CP. Glad to see they know Mantis is one of the weaker coasters at the park, and they are acting on it. Still waiting on the woodie up yonder…

I, for one, happen to love that woodie up yonder, and would be far less likely to spend my dollars at The Point if it goes anywhere. I love Magnum and Maverick, but I can ride a better hypercoaster and an almost-as-good launched coaster at my favorite amusement park in the Pittsburgh area. I can ride a better Mine Train, Suspended coaster, Invert, and Arrow Looper in Mason. Millennium Force excites me about as much as mowing the lawn with a pushmower and Dragster is a one-trick-pony, so I'm not missing much if I don't ride them often. Take out Mean Streak, and suddenly I become a lot less excited to go to Sandusky, especially since I discovered that Kennywood's corn dogs are every bit as good as the ones at The Point.

Blue Streak is pretty good, too, but not good enough for me to drive three hours when again, there is an out-and-back woodie in Mason that I find to be very, very close to it in terms of fun and excitement.

And yes, the corn dogs WERE a driving force in me going to Cedar Point again this year. And yes, they are that good.

• Like 4

The Mantis is getting squashed.....the train portion was the "Mantis" of the ride, not the track...So maybe the train is getting "squashed" into a sit down version...the floorless idea is nice but think of the modifications to the electronics and the station. Going with this route of conversion would allow more money to go elsewhere in the park.

I think the train is getting converted and the track is getting painted, maybe toss in a couple of tunnels and then voila!.... "new" coaster.

At one time Busch Gardens Williamsburg had their Catapult ride (Scrambler) indoors. It was interesting since the walls were painted to look like a village and there was textured lighting that made it appear that you were scrambling through a midnight forest. Every once in a while lightning would strike and thunder would roar. Great ride!

• Like 2

^ kinda ends abruptly - --"because Mantis.....

a) will no longer be there in any more winters

B) will have a different color

c) will have different trains

d) will not be called Mantis anymore

e) will be in a different park next year

f) add your own idea here...."

(Or do the SFOG thing...put Scrambler in there, play some cheesy moosic, hang a Disco Ball...

Sigh.

I actually miss that thing.

Conneaut did something similar...)

Wait, that scrambler is gone!? My best friend talked about it all the time and recently just took a job in Atlanta. At his going away party, the indoor scrambler was all he would talk about.

• Like 1

On a side note, whatever CP has planned for Mantis, I won't be upset if this change means a more comfortable ride experience for others. I have not experienced the pain that other people have, and I'm not sure what I do differently than anyone else. I never have purposely positioned my body for a painless ride. A friend of mine and I rode it on a trip we made together years ago. We both had different experiences. He said his legs hurt while I had no after affects. We are both around the same height at 5'11". He weighed about 20 lbs more, but I have no idea if that even makes a difference.

I've never really had a painful ride on it either. Maybe my many years of riding King Cobra prepared me for properly riding a stand up coaster and it's become second nature to me, my body automatically conforming to the best way to ride.

especially since I discovered that Kennywood's corn dogs are every bit as good as the ones at The Point.

What?!? I finally tried Potato Patch fries this year, and now I have to go back to that wonderful little park to try the corndogs?!? OK, twist my arm... :lol:

• Like 1