Tony Clark: "major announcement on 9/2 at high noon"

(Or do the SFOG thing...put Scrambler in there, play some cheesy moosic, hang a Disco Ball...

Sigh.

I actually miss that thing.

Conneaut did something similar...)

Wait, that scrambler is gone!? My best friend talked about it all the time and recently just took a job in Atlanta. At his going away party, the indoor scrambler was all he would talk about.

A. Scrambler is a registered trademark and, as such, is always capitalized here.

B. It's no longer in the box...if it's in the park at all.

On a side note, whatever CP has planned for Mantis, I won't be upset if this change means a more comfortable ride experience for others. I have not experienced the pain that other people have, and I'm not sure what I do differently than anyone else. I never have purposely positioned my body for a painless ride. A friend of mine and I rode it on a trip we made together years ago. We both had different experiences. He said his legs hurt while I had no after affects. We are both around the same height at 5'11". He weighed about 20 lbs more, but I have no idea if that even makes a difference.

I've never really had a painful ride on it either. Maybe my many years of riding King Cobra prepared me for properly riding a stand up coaster and it's become second nature to me, my body automatically conforming to the best way to ride.

especially since I discovered that Kennywood's corn dogs are every bit as good as the ones at The Point.

What?!? I finally tried Potato Patch fries this year, and now I have to go back to that wonderful little park to try the corndogs?!? OK, twist my arm... :lol:

I always thought King Cobra was a better ride than Chang or Mantis. It was simpler and didn't put the stresses on my body that the others did. I actually sat out of the Mantis ride when my group rode at Cedar Point last year.

And Kennywood, in all facets, is underrated. You knew that. :)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm not as upset with this.. I've always wanted to ride a floorless coaster.. I'll still experience Mantis as Rougarou.

Sucks that now one of my favorites there won't be a walk-on as often.
At least I have had several opportunities to enjoy a B&M standup with Chang and Mantis. I can write that away. It'll be nice to see a fresh new look for the ride.. For it to resemble the Six Flags Goliath paint schemes.

I've seen a few enthusiasts who have said it sounds like something Scooby Doo would say. I can't wait to get back there and ride it. The only floorless I've been on is Dominator. I'm wondering if Mantis will have that kind of crazy speed or if the trim on the first hill will even be necessary.

• Like 3

1) This announcement was a shock. But I like the suddenness of it; pretty unique for CF.

2) I loved Mantis' colors but I think Rougarou's will be pretty cool. I love the orange track and especially the supports (whatever color you want to call them. I'll stick with dark green teal.)

3) Epic video. Awesome editing and production.

4) The logo is pretty sweet.

5) The Rougarou name is definitely different and I know many people will mispronounce it (by the way, it's ROO-GA-ROO--it's French.) I think it will grow on me, though.

6) Granted this is only a preliminary animation video, but the trains are shown with the old, classic B&M OTSRs. I hope they might be changed to the new fest restraints but at least the ride experience will be significantly improved. Floorless coasters are really fun.

7) Adding on the point 6, I hope some theming will be added. Even if it's just as simple as a tunnel or two.

I am very surprised still and happy with these impromptu announcement!

• Like 6

I've seen a few enthusiasts who have said it sounds like something Scooby Doo would say. I can't wait to get back there and ride it. The only floorless I've been on is Dominator. I'm wondering if Mantis will have that kind of crazy speed or if the trim on the first hill will even be necessary.

I'm hoping that the trim will be removed. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hmm... I stand corrected...LOl...it won't be sit down conversion.

I figure that most of the money will be spent in converting the station for the floor, along with the electronics.

Now I suppose we still have CENTRURION to look out for...

Wonder what that could be and where it could go???

• Like 2

Oh my gosh, yes... it's actually happening! :D This means that in 2015, 2 new coaster types that I've never ridden before are now closer to me than they previously were (the other coaster type would be a Vekoma SLC, which will (hopefully) be realized as T3 at Kentucky Kingdom)!

You've never ridden an SLC? You're in for a few months of anticipointment.
  • Like 6