Tony Clark: "major announcement on 9/2 at high noon"

Well, I am late, :P but I'll react to this: this looks solid in more ways than one.

#1- It'll be much, much more comfortable to most guests. That's a plus.
#2- The ride's capacity will increase as now it is a basic floorless coaster and not a it-takes-a-long-time-to-load stand-up. Which is great because if I ran a park I could use as many high-capacity rides as possible to keep lines short. (Cedar Point seems crazy about capacity as well it appears- mainly due to their large collection of Arrow & B&M rides which are both known for their great ability to move lines). A ride like this right next to the uber-popular Millennium Force is also great since it may help reduce the line for MF a bit.

#3- The layout looked great to start with, but may have been ruined by the stand-up configuration. Now, it may not be a problem and the park will have another great coaster...and like CP even needs more great roller coasters. :P

As for the other additions for 2015, they look awesome as well. Cedar Point- and Cedar Fair in general- are really looking good since Matt Ouimet took over.

• Like 5

Anyone who knows me knows I love the color orange! I'm a fan of Rougarou's paint scheme!

Oh my gosh, yes... it's actually happening! :D This means that in 2015, 2 new coaster types that I've never ridden before are now closer to me than they previously were (the other coaster type would be a Vekoma SLC, which will (hopefully) be realized as T3 at Kentucky Kingdom)!

You've never ridden an SLC? You're in for a few months of anticipointment.

Jonathan is EXACTLY RIGHT. I rode my first Vekoma SLC, Mind Eraser at Six Flags America just a couple months ago. UnrealNightmare told me I wouldn't like it and he hit the nail right on the head. Never before have I gotten off of a roller coaster cussing like a sailor. Most uncomfortable and unenjoyable 5 minutes of my life that I wouldn't mind having back. I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard rather than experience that thing again. Honest when I say that. It may look fun but prepare for disappointment. I'm not a fan of Vekoma in general.

Looks like a wonderful transformation! I have never been on a floorless before so I am looking forward to trying this out next year!

I can't wait to get up to Cedar Point next year to ride it. I'm still on the fence about making a return trip this year (and riding Mantis before it closes). I've been on several B&M floorless coasters and they've all been enjoyable (Bizarro, Hydra: The Revenge, Dominator). Stand-Ups in general aren't enjoyable but B&M makes it at least semi-tolerable for me (Apocalypse and Green Lantern) unlike some other manufacturers (cough, TOGO). If you want your legs to feel like Jell-O after your ride, I highly recommend Green Lantern at NJFTP!

• Like 2

Anyone who knows me knows I love the color orange! I'm a fan of Rougarou's paint scheme!

Oh my gosh, yes... it's actually happening! :D This means that in 2015, 2 new coaster types that I've never ridden before are now closer to me than they previously were (the other coaster type would be a Vekoma SLC, which will (hopefully) be realized as T3 at Kentucky Kingdom)!

You've never ridden an SLC? You're in for a few months of anticipointment.

Jonathan is EXACTLY RIGHT. I rode my first Vekoma SLC, Mind Eraser at Six Flags America just a couple months ago. UnrealNightmare told me I wouldn't like it and he hit the nail right on the head. Never before have I gotten off of a roller coaster cussing like a sailor. Most uncomfortable and unenjoyable 5 minutes of my life that I wouldn't mind having back. I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard rather than experience that thing again. Honest when I say that. It may look fun but prepare for disappointment. I'm not a fan of Vekoma in general.

The SLC at Kentucky Kingdom may have ONE saving grace. Vekoma has redesigned their OTSRs recently and they are similar to the new B&M ones. If T3 gets new trains (and thus, new restraints) it might make for a drastically improved experience. And if any coaster were a candidate for new trains, it would be that one.

As an added note, not all SLCs are created equal. Darien Lake's Mind Eraser was actually a lot of fun. Flight Deck at Canada's Wonderland was absolutely dreadful, and is the only coaster that I flat-out refuse to ever ride again. I'd marathon their Zamperla Flyer before I ride their SLC even one more time.

• Like 2

Now I'll actually be looking forward to riding this B&M as opposed to "Hey, if the rest of the park is crowded, I'll ride this just because it's a walk-on" type deal...

Which is funny, considering that 4 years ago before I made my first trip to CP, since I had never ridden a stand-up before, I was greatly looking forward to it, more so than a lot of other rides...

I thought to myself "Oh, standing up while riding a coaster, that just sounds wonderful!" until...I rode it. As soon as I got into my (bicycle) "seat", I instantly thought "You know, I'd actually rather just sit down". Afterwards I promptly thought "what a terrible idea, why would anyone want to stand up while riding a coaster?". It made me take for granted how valuable sitting down on coasters actually is, as opposed to...you know...

Which is why I believe the stand-up coaster is the definition of a "fad". Sure some people genuinely do enjoy them, but for most people it sounds better than it actually is, and a flawed concept to begin with IMO...

Rougarou should be an excellent and much-welcomed improvement!

• Like 5

I think that is going to be their best spot for theming as well. It'll be hard to do too much on the water itself but could add a lot to the dirt area that always looked kind of unfinished to me.

I love this conversion as well. I always though Mantis had a great layout to it but it was so uncomfortable as a stand up. It would start off ok but by the end f the ride I was ready for it to stop and get off. Having it be a floorless coaster now will be great, and might make for some views of riding over the water too. I really like the name as well. I thinkt he paint job looks great too but seems a bit bright for the name and logo though. Wsh they would have gone with a darker orange but at least it should look sharp. Can't wait to ride this again for the first time.

Honestly, I was never too crazy about Mantis (though I certainly didn't hate it) but I always felt it would be a shame to lose that delightful B&M roar and that amazing tangled mess of twisted track. I'm happy with this. The tangled mess of track stays. The roar stays. The ride (presumably) becomes vastly more rideable. Win-win all around in my book.

And to those who are sad because they really enjoy standups, believe me when I say there are a whole slew of fantastic standup coasters still running. Vortex at Carowinds is still a delight to ride, and there's a standup at SFGAd that shares many common elements with Mantis if that's more your cup of tea.

But just my opinion, if this proves to be a roaring success, expect to see more of those standup coasters converted. Especially the larger ones.

• Like 6

I ride it once. It was painful. Not like SLC painful, but definitely uncomfortable. I felt the same way about Chang. After about the first drop I just wanted it to be over.

I am confident that it will be a different situation with the new trains. It's a new experience.

This was a smart move financially, I think. Mantis is almost unmarketable after a few decades of operation. It is, however, in too good of shape to just scrap. This way they are breathing new life into the ride for a fraction of the cost of a new ride.

• Like 9

And to those who are sad because they really enjoy standups, believe me when I say there are a whole slew of fantastic standup coasters still running. Vortex at Carowinds is still a delight to ride, and there's a standup at SFGAd that shares many common elements with Mantis if that's more your cup of tea.

Vortex at Carowinds is actually towards the bottom of my standup list personally, only above Iron Wolf/Apocalypse. Riddlers Revenge and Georgia Scorcher are the only standups that I enjoy riding. I find it interesting that the last two standups that B&M made were the best of the bunch.

But just my opinion, if this proves to be a roaring success, expect to see more of those standup coasters converted. Especially the larger ones.

I was thinking about that, but it's interesting that parks that have some of the larger standups (Riddlers at SFMM, Green Lantern at SFGAd) already have floorless coasters on the property (Scream and Bizarro, respectively). Would it be practical to convert the smaller versions (Vortex at Carowinds and California's Great America, Apocalypse at SFA, Georgia Scorcher) from an ROI standpoint?

The general rule for me with the floorless coaster is the bigger the coaster the better it is. Hydra and Batman: Dark Knight at SFNE are both fun enough but the other, taller floorless coasters are vastly superior. I'm sure that converting the smaller standups would make the riding experience much more comfortable, but I'm not sure that the rides layouts really warrant such a move. It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

• Like 2

Depends on the ROI you are looking for. Small short term investment that looks good but is a minimal change/cost or are you looking for a big skyline changing investment and the ROI involved.

Gatekeeper was a huge change and the park enjoyed the ROI of it, so much so that the park is doing similar investments at other parks (see Carowinds new front gate).

This change seems very minimal to me. No rebuilding of track, no destruction costs. Just some possible station changes, new trains, and paint.

• Like 5