Tony Clark: "major announcement on 9/2 at high noon"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surprised I haven't seen more/any reviews of Rougarou pop up around here. Guess I'll start it off:

I was extremely impressed with it. There were one or two moments where my head met the restraint, but overall, the headbanging is DRASTICALLY reduced. It may be me wanting to imagine it so, but the ride seems noticeably faster--if true, it doesn't seem to make the ride worse the way the stand-up trains would make you expect. Everything after the MCBR used to pass by in a blur while I attempted to avoid brain damage; now you can actually focus on it. And it's actually quite good! The quick transitions, which made the stand-up experience really unpleasant, makes the ride one of the more enjoyably aggressive floorless coasters I've ridden. I will actually attempt to make that ride one of my stops during my CP visits now. In my opinion, they've hit the ball out of the park with Rougarou!

(The only thing I can possibly critique: it would have been so neat to see the queue enclosed in a bayou-esque cabin with subtle references to the legend of the rougarou inside. But that's me. Banshee, Thunderbird, and BGW have spoiled me in the theming department.)

• Like 5

I know how to minimize that head-banging!

Swap out the OTSRs with the newer B&M style, like what they did for Banshee.

Oh, wait, they went with the existing train design..  Because "too wide"..  Because now will bang up my ears as much as ever.  :(

• Like 2

(The only thing I can possibly critique: it would have been so neat to see the queue enclosed in a bayou-esque cabin with subtle references to the legend of the rougarou inside. But that's me. Banshee, Thunderbird, and BGW have spoiled me in the theming department.)

One would think they could have at least re-purposed props and set pieces from Halloweekends' Blood on the Bayou scare zone for Rougarou's queue/station.

• Like 3

I rode it three times today, in various seats (excluding the front).

It's definitely an improvement for the general public, but my initial impression is that I don't enjoy it as much as I did Mantis (albeit after learning to ride the latter "correctly"). I found headbanging, which I find particularly annoying, to be harder to avoid. Also, the forces on my head during the loop were uncomfortable; I felt slightly lightheaded after navigating it each time. I'll give it another chance when I'm there next (probably Coastermania), but I'm currently thinking it will be a once-per-trip ride for me. I do need to try the front row before judging it fairly (vs. Mantis).

Note that my roller coaster preferences are anything but typical, so don't necessarily take my word for it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I finally rode the front seat at CoasterMania on Friday, and I have to eat my words a bit.

In the front, Rougarou is an improvement over Mantis in just about every possible way. It's a more thrilling ride (after the first loop), and it's a more comfortable experience - able to be enjoyed by people who couldn't tolerate Mantis. My only complaint is that the first drop "feels" shorter in the new rider position, but that's a relatively small price to pay.

For what it's worth, on my previous visit, I rode in rows 4-6. I still need to try other parts of the train; I'm curious whether I'll enjoy rides in rows 2 and 8.

• Like 3

Malem, I will agree that row 4....sucks!  Rows 1 and 8 are both good, with 1 being the best by a good margin.  I hope those who have not ridden a floorless prior to Rougarou do not judge all by this ride experience, Dominator smokes it by leaps and bounds!  Its absolutely fantastic!!!

• Like 3

I'm someone who couldn't and wouldn't ride Mantis. It just physically hurt too much between the standing and the head banging. I rode it very few times the last few years, mostly as a "if I try the tricks people mention, maybe it won't hurt?" Haha. Nope.

I rode Rougarou twice on Friday night and really enjoyed both rides. The first ride was 1st row as I became a group's 4th and the second ride was 7th row solo. I was worried how the restraints would feel and was preparing myself for lots of head banging. That really wasn't the case for me until a few sections near the end. That alone was an improvement! It's just a more comfortable ride which allows me to focus on the elements and experience instead of "ugh, please let this be over soon!". I enjoy the change and the ride has turned from something I avoided to something I will likely ride every visit.

Just an FYI, they do stop Rougarou for Luminosity's fireworks. I was on the last train before that and it was around 9:45p. There was an annoucement in the station as they were checking restraints. They will let you get in line and will start the ride back up after the fireworks.

• Like 7