So what woodie at Kings Island would you want to get an RMC treatment?

Oldschool75

Big Bundle of Nope.

The Racer, in its form was the powder keg of the nex gen coaster age. The Beast, in its form, is the longest wooden coaster.

If RMC gives it some "love" we will not have any kind of woodie coaster.

Woodies are starting to disappear from a chain already, don't let it spread.

• Like 11

They'd be mad to touch The Racer and The Beast as they are today. Sure, everything can change tomorrow, but as of today that sounds like complete lunacy to me.

A vast majority of the RMC converted woodies had horrible reputations for being rough and were becoming less and less popular each year. Whether that speaks to poor maintenance or marketing, I don't know but it's fact. The Racer and The Beast are both great rides and very popular on their own. The Beast obviously moreso, but I've seen The Racer get sizable lines too.

• Like 3

Neither of Kings Islands woodies need any type of RMC treatment. If it was available it could have been an option for SOB. Would a new Hybrid be nice, yes maybe an Iron Beast. I do wonder how some of the new treatments on Twisted Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain will work out. I don't foresee any "racing" to occur after media weeks, unless the PLM blocking is set up that way, but that will require dispatching to be on pace, or people will be calling 911 from the 2nd lift waiting for the other train to catch up.

• Like 3

They'd be mad to touch The Racer and The Beast as they are today. Sure, everything can change tomorrow, but as of today that sounds like complete lunacy to me.

A vast majority of the RMC converted woodies had horrible reputations for being rough and were becoming less and less popular each year. Whether that speaks to poor maintenance or marketing, I don't know but it's fact. The Racer and The Beast are both great rides and very popular on their own. The Beast obviously moreso, but I've seen The Racer get sizable lines too.

The Racer had some very long 20-25 minute long lines during some weekdays June & July.

Neither of Kings Islands woodies need any type of RMC treatment. If it was available it could have been an option for SOB. Would a new Hybrid be nice, yes maybe an Iron Beast. I do wonder how some of the new treatments on Twisted Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain will work out. I don't foresee any "racing" to occur after media weeks, unless the PLM blocking is set up that way, but that will require dispatching to be on pace, or people will be calling 911 from the 2nd lift waiting for the other train to catch up.

YEa if Son of Beast was still around I'd vote it easily to get the treatment. Before it got torn down thought it would be a good way to revive it but probably too costly. Love to see another one though in a similar vein to Son of Beast with the hybrid track. Like the idea of an Iron Beast in the park like that.

• Like 2

As I mentioned in a similar thread, I would not want to see any of the wooden coasters at Kings Island turned into Rocky Mountain Coasters hybrid coasters* (although turning Woodstock Express into a hybrid could be interesting as RMC hasn't yet built a family hybrid coaster...). However, I would be open to the idea of RMC adding an original hybrid coaster at Kings Island. And while we are on the subject, I'm picturing a RMC re-vamp of Son of Beast as having a twisted inverted dive drop (like Medusa Steel Coaster at Six Flags Mexico) that would replace the turn going into the big drop was came after the lift.

*EDIT: After further thought, I don't think I'd mind if Woodstock Express became an RMC Hybrid. However, I still think The Beast and Racer should remain wooden.

• Like 3

There is no coaster at Kings Island that I would want redone the way Six Flags has been doing recently.

I would, however, be in favor of Beast sparingly using Topper Track in conjunction with minor reprofiling to remove/reduce trims and introduce stronger laterals. I do NOT want it to be fully retracked with Topper Track, because part of The Beast experience is the wooden feel of the ride. There's something somewhat disappointing about the fact that the hill after the first drop was obviously meant to have airtime but can't because the train's moving too slowly due to trims. (I know the ride's always operated with trims because the original ride was considered too intense and/or jarring, but still. It seems like this could be fixed with today's technology.) The laterals in the helix have felt somewhat reduced to me since a few years ago, too--there was talk about the helix banking being slightly increased, but I don't know if that was factual or just enthusiast speculation that I bought into. If that actually happened and was caused by maintenance costs, I'd like to see Topper Track used there, too. Think Tremors or Georgia Cyclone.

Of course, I'm being a fanboy with a pipe dream that would probably offend several folks. But since we're on the subject...

I somewhat like the idea of using it sparingly on Beast to cut back on trims but I wouldn't want it to change the overall experience. And if it added speed in one spot it'd probably affect it in other places so probably would have to add more than expected. Plus if even a little bit would take away from it being considered completely a wooden coaster I wouldn't want that either. I think it's good enough as is.

• Like 1

(although turning Woodstock Express into a hybrid could be interesting as RMC hasn't yet built a family hybrid coaster...)

I don't think RMC has any need to make a family coaster. Their marketing strategy basically involves adding new elements to wooden* coasters and doing things never before done on that style of coaster. There aren't a whole lot of elements you can add to a family coaster without making it no longer a family coaster. Then again, if Gatekeeper is anything to go by, apparently you can have a coaster over 100 feet tall with 6 inversions and call it a family attraction... All that being said, however, if you had asked me two years ago if I thought B&M would ever make a family coaster, I would've said there's not a chance of it. And yet, look toward China, and there one is...

*but not really...

• Like 2

If only Kings Island currently had a crappy 'beater' wooden coaster that is insignificant to the park's history or excessively rough, (SOB would have been the latter) then I'd be completely in favor of RMC renovating one of KI's current woodies...

But, that is not the case. You shouldn't EVER mess with two ACE Coaster Landmarks and a timeless classic popular among all ages.

• Like 7