Two new haunted mazes and new show highlight Kings Island's 2014 Halloween Haunt lineup

I always look forward to Haunt season. A little disappointed that my favorite maze, Holiday Horror, won't be returning. I knew fall was officially here when I walked up and heard "Calendar Girl" blaring through the speakers.

Board to Death was a welcome addition last year with a similar sense of humor. Here's hoping KillMart is just as fun!

• Like 4

That would amost certainly require SERIOUS accommodations of a type recently discussed to be made...

My guess is you may be talking ten million dollars or more...

To re-install a lower deck for Bat's queue and an accompanying elevator? I highly doubt that. Assuming it's a Banshee style elevator, I doubt the project would top $2 million, if that.

• Like 1

Yea $10 million seems way to high. But I think $2 million would still be seen as too expensive for a project that is going to have very little impact. I don't think they'd sink that much money into something small like that on an old coaster. The new paint job was great and needed, but I don't think ridership has increased that greatly since the repaint for them to sink a few million into something that isn't really needed and could be spent elsewhere in the park. It would be great to see some nice theming for the queue but I just don't see it happening.

• Like 1

I was reading the descriptions for everything on the site, and I'm sorry, but this rhyme is downright horrible:

Tombstones quake as the residents come out for a swinging wake. Beware of grim grinning ghosts wanting to socialize. What they really want to do is terrorize.

I wonder if they were at a certain Mansion while posting that, a Theater maybe?

• Like 4

I was reading the descriptions for everything on the site, and I'm sorry, but this rhyme is downright horrible:

Tombstones quake as the residents come out for a swinging wake. Beware of grim grinning ghosts wanting to socialize. What they really want to do is terrorize.

I wonder if they were at a certain Mansion while posting that, a Theater maybe?

Surprised those happy haunts who materialize have yet to begin to vocalize their disapproval of the botched wordplay.

• Like 2

I recognized those almost-lyrics right away. It's in my "Haunt mix", my selection of songs that I listen to almost exclusively this time of year. Yeah, it's a favorite of mine... both the song and the attraction.

• Like 1

Wait...I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do go to a Walt Disney World Resort. Please, do take the elevator too. As I have heard the High Tower Club has some lavish parties with some of my fellows from the local Mansion.

Wait...I'm confused.

"When the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake

Spooks come out for a screaming wake

Happy haunts materialize and begin to vocalize

Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize

Now don't close your eyes and don't try to hide

Or a silly spook may sit by your side

Shrouded in a daft disguise, they pretend to terrorize

Grim grinning ghosts, come out to socialize"

Those are lines from the song "Grim Grinning Ghosts", which is the song that plays in Haunted Mansion at the Disney parks.

• Like 4

When I was a kid, I had a little book-and-record based on the Haunted Mansion. Grim Grinning Ghosts, I believe, was on the B-side of the record. The book basically took you through the ride experience, from the stretching portraits through to the beating heart of the bride and beyond. I knew the "story" so far as that goes (I still think removing most of the plot-aspect before it was even built was one of the biggest mistakes of that era of Disney, personally), long before I ever went on the ride (when I was 13 or so) because of that.

I'll admit it was really cool to see the actual imagery, eventually, but I don't think I'd have had a clue quite what was supposed to be going on without already knowing. You're right that it is hard to hear things on the ride itself.

So you can experience the book-and-record yourself if you like.

And if you ever wanted to know way too much about The Haunted Mansion, http://www.doombuggies.com

• Like 3

I don't know how you guys can follow along with the story of Haunted Mansion. It is so loud in there that it makes it hard to tell what exactly is being said.

Practice makes perfect.... :)

Um...I'm obsessed with DHM.... I recreated the moving busts using plaster casts of a Halloween mask and enhanced them by candle light and I used to play the soundtrack while passing out Halloween candy....LOL

• Like 3

I don't know how you guys can follow along with the story of Haunted Mansion. It is so loud in there that it makes it hard to tell what exactly is being said.

Um...I'm obsessed with DHM.... I recreated the moving busts using plaster casts of a Halloween mask and enhanced them by candle light and I used to play the soundtrack while passing out Halloween candy....LOL

Have any pictures of that?

• Like 1

Which one? Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom? DisneyLand? DisneyLand Paris? There are more than just one, and all of which have their own interesting sceneries and plots.

By the way, yes, I have the book on The Haunted Mansion.

Have any pictures of that?

I'm sure I do...somewhere. I rarely recorded the events myself, so I'll have to do searching and scanning...LOL...

I use to "do it up" here. My house was built in the 1700's and it sits on a hill. (it's been remodeled since so it doesn't have the colonial look to it anymore.)

I used to put green party lights in every room and on the porch. Turn on the fog machine in my "graveyard"(rose garden... ;) ), aim a lightning machine with strobe lights from a tree downward towards the walking path (it had a cassette device that timed it to thunder.) and I would dress in character with the HM soundtrack playing in a loop....all the while passing out candy to the kiddies.

My house has been themed to Poltergeist, Psycho, Phantom Theater, The Haunting of Hill House, and many more.

Here is how I recreated the busts.

1. get a cheap latex mask, preferably one with out hair or attachments.

2. Cover the eyes and mouth hole with duct tape from the inside of the mask.

3. fold the back of the mask inwards towards the facial area, to form a pocket that can be stuffed.

4. stuff the pocket with something solid. I used newspaper, but as I remember, it wanted to float....so I would suggest something more solid.... perhaps clay.

5. turn the mask upside down with the face upwards in a small, deep tray. I used a hospital wash tray that I got from the local hospital. You can use anything that is non-stick.

6. spray down the mask and the tray with Pam or some non-stick cooking spray. Be sure to cover all crevices.

7. Mix Plaster of Paris and pour over the entire mask. It took two boxes of plaster for one bust.

8. let the plaster cure for 48 hours.

9. carefully turn the mold over onto a stable surface and carefully peel out the mask. You should have an inverted image of the mask.

10. To enhance the effect, use black paint to paint the outer edges of the mold.

11. I built a box frame and pedestal to display the bust with a candle in front of the mold. I placed them on either side of my sidewalk leading to my house. As I remember, I crossed the street to test them and as you walked down the street the images did appear to follow you.

Probably cost about 30 dollars to create way back when.

• Like 5

Heh. I just put on my The Beast comic book cover style t-shirt I bought at the park earlier this summer and noticed at the very top it says "King's Island Creative Team." So, I think the news media can be forgiven for that mistake.

In all the years I've known of Kings Island (so, my whole life pretty much), I never noticed it shouldn't have an apostrophe until I saw things about it here on KIC forums.

• Like 2