Discovery Channel filming for 6-27

BoddaH1994

For those of you who did not get the opportunity to take part in the Discovery Channel filming last Friday, this is basically my experience.

We had to be at the park no later than 7am which is really no fun when you're from northern Kentucky and it's nearly an hour drive to the park.

Anyway, I arrived there around 6:45 or so to join the crowd of about 50 and growing at Security Post 3. Just before 7:00, they let us into the park (and yes, even that early you have to go through those stupid metal detectors). Afterwards, they took your releases, and took your picture to go with it.

While waiting to have my picture taken, I heard a guy talking about a book he had written about the park. Of course, it was none other than our very own Italian Chef!

After a long delay, they split us up into two groups: the Delirium group and the Tomb Raider: The Ride group. Delirium entered the park immediately, while TR: TR had to wait for another 10 mins or so.

They eventually let us into the back entrance behind The Beastie and we worked our way toward TR: TR. They had a small, but generous continental breakfast waiting for us under the shelter to the right of the ride. There, we had to decide who was going to do ride commentary for the filming. It came down to two ladies. One of which was a young teen girl, while the other was an older lady. Both of which would have been good for the part, but after a slight amount of trivia about different things, and an infamous game of "Choose a number between 1 and 100" the older lady came on top.

While experience yet another of the many delays of the day, the Italian Chef introduced me to Jeff Seibert, who was an extremely nice and enthusiastic guy.

Eventually, we were split into two groups. I was fortunate enough to be the very last in the group that got to go first. They had us enter the ride through the exit and ran several cycles of the ride with long delays in between. We were belted in the whole time, so it got to be unbelievably uncomfortable.

Eventually, they had us go into the room in which you watch the video. We were told that the other group was filming on the ride, and there would be a long delay. (Side note: We were really worried at this point, we were told that there was going to be a short delay before we go to ride the ride the first time, and we waited nearly an hour and a half, we feared what a long delay might entail.) It turned out to be only an hour or so being crammed in that chamber when the door opened and the other group came in to join us.

At this point, they filmed us entering the ride 3 or 4 times trying to get several angles. They then filmed us getting into our seats 2 times, and then filmed the employees checking our harnesses 2 times.

Finally, after four and a half hours, the filming was completed. It was scheduled to end at 10:00 when the park opens, but actually ended at almost 11:30. We were given any information they had about the airing of the show, which is basically none (sometime this fall) and they released us.

If you did the Delirium filming, post a message on here. I'm curious as to how it went!

Things I noticed while I was there:

1. The park staff was very courteous and extremely appreciative that we took part in the filming.

2. Italian Chef could write a second edition to his guidebook entitled "Unofficial Guidebook to the Restrooms at Paramount's King's Island" (if you know him personally, you'll know what I'm talking about) biggrin.gif

3. Filming is a long, tedious process. If I wasn't so committed to the park, I don't know if I would want to do it again.

4. If you watch the TR:TR video more than once, it gets really old, really quickly!

5. If you get there at 7:00am, you get killer parking spots! biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, and if you did the Delirium filming, post on here and tell us how it went!

Regards,

Ryan

Your the one that Italian Chef introduced to me, aren't you? I belive you are...

Oh, and those "killer parking spots" you mentioned were in the handicap area of the parking lot. We didn't ticket you guys for parking there that day, of course, b/c we pretty much told you to park next to post 3 and those are the most convienent spots for that.

As author of The Unofficial Guidebook to Paramount's Kings Island, the former producer and star of public access TV show, and in Mrs. Chef's words "a looky looky American"......I HAD to take the day off from work to participate in The Travel Channel's PKI show. Mrs. Chef couldn't take the day off from work and none of my friends would......so I went alone. Mrs. Chef dropped me off at 6:50 AM - and we saw DragonLord at the park on duty. He's a nice guy and I appreciate his manners towards my wife. I reckon he's a real gentleman with ladies in general.

There were 2 segments being filmed that day, 1 for Tomb Raider and 1 for Delirium. The vast majority of people were there for Delirium. While chatting with many people....I met BoddaH1994. He was scheduled to hang out with his lady friend after the filming and graciously invited me to hang out with them so I wouldn't be stuck by myself all day. BoddaH1994 is a very nice and intelligent young man.

Plus I met DanielRadsgrl. She seems like a nice and intelligent young lady. She was almost chosen to narrate TR:TR for The Travel Channel. And attractive (Brother Charles appreciates older ladies) lady old enough to be her mother beat her for it in rock, paper, scizzors.

The filming was not pleasant - it lasted at least 4 hours. We had to be filmed riding Tomb Raider: The Ride 2 times in a row. We were filmed putting on our safety restraints, entering the ride, and doing other things several times. After putting on our safety restraints for the filming - we didn't actually ride - just sat there locked up for 20 minutes. It was tough.

To make a long story short....it was well worth the experience because I'll be on national TV for the first time in my life. That is so totally cool. And I had had a great time riding some of PKI's best rides with BoddaH1994 and his lady friend - and they are both very nice young people. Plus I got to introduce them to Jeff Siebert and David Mandt.

It was a great time....but after spending over 4 hours in TR:TR, I need a long break from it.

Italian Chef

Edited by italianchef

Sounds like everyone had fun filming the show. I can not wait to see it on TV. What public access TV show did you star in Mr. Chef?

I was the producer and star of HOME COOKING WITH CHARLES. It was a cooking-comedy (we didn comedy skits while cooking) show that ran in Northern Kentucky from early 2002-early 2003.

Hi everyone--

I was at the Tomb Raider shoot, by way of ACE e-mail. I actually got picked to narrate the ride. It was really cool narrating, because I could talk during the ride without everyone looking at me like an idiot. Group two ran through twice, and after the second time, they said they had it, so they filmed us walking in, multiple times, and they took a lot of footage of me walking into the ride and just sitting around, not looking at the camera.. it was a little uncomfortable, just sitting there. They made the poor ride-ops check and recheck our harnesses multiple times. The filming took place until around 11:00, and then I went and rode The Beast, Son of Beast, ate lunch, and then went back to interview. During the interview, they pointed a sun-reflector at me and asked me strange questions. It felt like I was writing an essay question, because I had to incorporate the question into the answer. There were people that didn't get chosen (like the Ace regional rep, who was pretty cool, and the kid from pittsburgh) who also got interviewed, and will probably get 5 seconds of fame... literately. After the interview, Tomb Raider was closed for some random reason or another, so we walked back into the queue and got some footage of me looking around.. that too was uncomfortable. Then we called up Jeff to get permission to use the 175 thou land rover parked in front of the ride. He had to come up to where we were, so the film crew just sat around, while everyone in the ride line (which had just opened up and already had about a 2 hour wait) was looking at us. Jeff came, liked the idea, so I got to get into the Land Rover, hop out, and say "Great parking space!" to the camera, and then run to the entrance of the ride. It was pretty corny, but fun. After three takes of that, we finally had it right, and everyone in the line applauded. We were free to go, and we had to get out of the park by 3:30, so I stopped by the gift store and picked up Italian Chef's book.

I saw italianchef there, shamelessly promoting his book , as well as some fellow ACErs. I also saw, but didn't know who they were, DanielRadsgrl, BoddaH1994, and DragonLord. It was really cool. And, I got into the park for free, which made it worthwhile, seeing as I live in Columbus.

Thanks, Stay Cool,

OC

Hey, I noticed that an employee made a comment about where we parked. I parked on the left side of the fence if you were standing at Security Post 3 looking toward the parking lot. Whose parking lot is that? I doubt it's for the general public, and I'm pretty sure that I wasn't in a handicap spot.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey, I noticed that an employee made a comment about where we parked. I parked on the left side of the fence if you were standing at Security Post 3 looking toward the parking lot. Whose parking lot is that? I doubt it's for the general public, and I'm pretty sure that I wasn't in a handicap spot.

Thanks,

Ryan

It sounds like you are refering to the small lot between the main lot and the employee lot. It's a long lot with spots on just one side, and you get into that lot from the main lot by driving through the open gates or from Post 3's side. That lot is the V.I.P. lot, usually reserved for family memebers of full timers or special guests that don't have clerance into the Admin lot.

No, I actually work on TR. I was going on break with one of the other workers, and I notice someone sitting in the jeep. Noone is supposed to be there, and I was going to go say something, but then I noticed the film crew was over in that area, and saw you go out of the jeep and walk to about the TR sign. I was wondering what was going on.

PS. Dont get any ideas. Thats still my jeep dry.giftongue.gif

Edited by SOB_TOM

I was there that day and I was interviewed at the exit of Kings Island and Mianin Valley Railroad. We had to stop filming several times due to people exiting the ride and one case of a physically chalenged lady and her family entering from the exit.

It wasn't the grooviest place to film at.

I was close to telling someone to move away from the Land Rover, but the person never got in it... I hope your stunt didn't give anyone ideas that they can just sit in it when they want! That's the real deal and I really don't think I want to see someone try and drive it away... not like they would get far anyway!

I was close to telling someone to move away from the Land Rover, but the person never got in it... I hope your stunt didn't give anyone ideas that they can just sit in it when they want! That's the real deal and I really don't think I want to see someone try and drive it away... not like they would get far anyway!

Nah, I checked, there weren't any keys in the ignition. rolleyes.gif