History Questions

Spectrum91

I am trying to figure out certain dates and details regarding past Kings Island attractions. Any help answering the below questions would be immensely appreciated.

What year did Ferris Wheel open and close?

The first mention I can find is the 1979 poster map, the last the 1990 media kit.

Was Shake, Rattle, and Roll ever officially called 'Troika'?

The 1975 poster map lists it as "Troika", but the same map also calls Zodiac 'Giant Double Wheel'.

What year was Zodiac removed?

I know that Flight Commander took that spot in 1990, but it was off maps and the like by 1988.

What year was The Bat's final year of operation?

According to an April 2012 Facebook post from Kings Island, the ride closed for good in May 1982. A newspaper article from summer 1982 says that the ride had closed indefinitely, but I've heard/read numerous reports of it operating in 1983. I've also heard that it was planned to operate in 1984, and a crew was even hired to operate it, but it instead sat motionless that full summer before being removed.

Finding answers on this stuff has proven a tad tricky. If anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful :)

• Like 3

I am trying to figure out certain dates and details regarding past Kings Island attractions. Any help answering the below questions would be immensely appreciated.

The first mention I can find is the 1979 poster map, the last the 1990 media kit.

The 1975 poster map lists it as "Troika", but the same map also calls Zodiac 'Giant Double Wheel'.

I know that Flight Commander took that spot in 1990, but it was off maps and the like by 1988.

According to an April 2012 Facebook post from Kings Island, the ride closed for good in May 1982. A newspaper article from summer 1982 says that the ride had closed indefinitely, but I've heard/read numerous reports of it operating in 1983. I've also heard that it was planned to operate in 1984, and a crew was even hired to operate it, but it instead sat motionless that full summer before being removed.

Finding answers on this stuff has proven a tad tricky. If anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful :)

As for the original "The Bat" I believe it operated at least a few times in the 1984 season with public riders.

• 3 weeks later...

If any one was curious, here's the answers I've came up with.

The Ferris Wheel opened in 1978 and last operated in 1990 or 1991 (I'm learning towards the former). Regarding the ride opening in 1978, it does not appear as though it was planned to be a new attraction - the 1978 park map still lists Bavarian Beetle in that place, but photos from that year show prove the steel roller coaster was actually removed.

I haven't yet found a definitive answer on this one, but it was for sure Shake, Rattle, and Roll by 1979.

Zodiac was removed after the 1986 season, although I have strong suspicions it did not operate in 1986. This goes against some old web posts, including KICentral's own timeline, but I am very certain of these dates.

I still haven't gotten a clear answer on this, but I'm overall confident it last operated in 1983 before sitting dormant for most/all 1984 before being removed.

With those mostly answered, I now have a new question that maybe someone can help me with...

What day did Racer's construction start?

A few weeks ago, Kings Island tweeted:

On this day 44 years ago (Sept 16, 1970), construction of The Racer roller coaster began.

However, last year on September 17 the park posted on their Facebook:

On this date in 1970, construction began on The Racer roller coaster...

I'm thinking the Facebook post may have been posted later in the evening and the time zone the profile was listed on was already past midnight, dating it to September 17. I'm not for sure though, and any earlier mentionings of the coaster's construction would be helpful.

• Like 2