Magenta Lizard's first Haunt

Magenta Lizard

I'm going to be updating this sort of stream-of-conciousness through the night. Got here about two hours ago and am waiting for them to open up for Skeleton Crew.

I've been through four houses so far.

After riding FoF (had to, no line) Kill Mart was first, and my least favorite. There's only so much you can do as a disaffected zombie Walmart worker I guess. Plus I couldn't really see much because it was so dark and I had come from fairly bright outside.

Next up was Slaughterhouse which probably ruined me for the rest of them. It was actually fun, a lot of chance for non-startle-based interaction with the scareactors. I did apologize to one of the actors for touching her when I was trying to get through a particularly tight squeeze, but I seriously couldn't even see her. I think I saw Sam outside the entrance if he looks kind of like Duke from Haven (Eric Balfour) only more, you know, bloody. Someone referred to him as Sam but he was more articulate than I expected....

With a break for Beast, I went through Madame Fatales. Since I totally missed out on the TR:TR and Crypt years, it was my first time in that building and was worth it for that alone. Had some fun interaction with a young lady who "cut herself shaving" and invited me to touch her foot.

Next was Diamondback (oh how I've missed it the last two weeks, I don't know how I'll survive the winter), and a trip through CarnEvil. It was interesting, but mostly depended on startles. I like the nod to traditional funhouses, especially with the mirrors and "tornado" I walked through.

A quick ride through Boo Blasters (1700-some points), and now I'm here waiting. I saw the guy whose sandals the clowns stole at that one Cirque performance, and he was in an "official" area so I'm relieved to finally know he wasn't just an audience member.

Having seen the show, I'm floored. I don't want to say too much, but you have GOT to come see this one. It has elements of Cirque: some guys in red, some in silver and black, a rope act, the ring, clowning around on a trampoline. But wow! To give an idea, I loved Cirque (and as a whole show, prefer it). But the only time I was brought to "whoop" while clapping was at the final performance of Cirque. At the end of tonight's rope act, I was whooping and clapping so hard I nearly broke my hands. It was awesome.

From earlier in the night, say it isn't so:

1cd8dd521e31b43d425859ee194b9d94.jpg

I love all the decorations that have been added to the park, some in the most unexpected places. But it absolutely KILLS me they put this much theming into something for two months of weekends, and Adventure Express looks like it does.

• Like 7

I love all the decorations that have been added to the park, some in the most unexpected places. But it absolutely KILLS me they put this much theming into something for two months of weekends, and Adventure Express looks like it does.

This x100. Not just Adventure Express, but so many others. There is so much attention to detail during haunt, and I do love it, but I would love to see that intense of a focus on detail on rides as well!

• Like 3

I don't think any of the Hot Blooded crew are repeats from Cirque, unfortunately. Although there was a brief moment when I thought, "holy crap, Julien (long haired clown) shaved his head!" He was doing some tumbling and acts in a similar way, but it's not him.

Edited to add:

Nearly missed the second Skeleton Crew show of the night. Missed the beginning of Blood Drums when I was composing my review of Skeleton Crew, so I decided to wait for a later showing of Blood Drums and try to get on Tombstone Terror-Tory. I ended up more or less trapped, unable to easily get out of the line until 9:25. Quick jaunt across to the Showplace tho, and I even got a good seat. I liked the Dueling Banjo skeletons at Tombstone even though that was all I got to see so far of it.

Nearly saw a fight break out after the show, apparently someone dared to comment on some lady's usage of her cell phone during the show and she wasn't happy about it.

Two issues with the smoke effects. One, it makes every smoker in the park (it seems) think they can light up wherever, including in line. Also, I can't see much other than the flames of Blood Drums even though I'm right across the plaza standing on the concrete wall. I'm wondering if I know one of the Blood Drums fire performers. There's a friend of a friend who does a similar act, which she's performed at a July 4th fireworks shoot at that friend's place.

Edited again: talked to my husband, the FOAF doesn't perform anymore so it's not her.

Two things I really like about Haunt. I'm not really into the houses, but most people are here for them so lines are short for rides. Just rode Banshee, DT, and Delirium all nearly walk-on even though the park is fairly packed. Also, they have new interesting FUNTV. They were showing clips from old black and white B horror movies, and I saw the video for the Ghostbusters theme song.

Just after midnight.

I discovered purgatory by sitting near the front of the train for Tombstone. Ages to get on a train, ages after you get off. I should definitely have stopped at the restrooms first.

Edited again, it's now the next day.

Tombstone was a great disappointment after all that wait. It would have been disappointing regardless. There is next to no variety on the long path back to the park, boxes every ten feet alternating left and right, often people lurking (visibly) behind them. Outside of the man who did the spiel on the train, no one seemed to be actually in a character other than "teenager in an old west zombie costume halfheartedly trying to startle people." I suppose they can be forgiven for their lack of enthusiasm, because I lost all of mine in the time I was standing out in the woods in the cold waiting for the disclaimer to be repeated over and over (could this be moved to the train PA so we all get it at once, and not create that second line?), and they had all been out there a lot longer. I also thought the hijacking would have been a lot more interesting than it was.

Afterward, I went on to a station wait for a spectacular night ride on The Beast. The way the smoke lingers out in the woods around The Beast is my favorite usage of the effect, it makes it extra spooky. (My second favorite smoke effect was when I rode Drop Tower. It was cool to rise above the smoke near the ground, then after a bit rise to a second atmospheric barrier where the smoke had collected, and pass through it like a cloud)

I finished up the night with a ride on Adventure Express (I was sort of hoping they added something to the theming, but alas no). I got a train entirely to myself, front seat. I particularly love that coaster at night.

I'm looking forward to going again on Sunday to have more time to check out the decorations and theming in the light of day.

• Like 7

Having seen the show, I'm floored. I don't want to say too much, but you have GOT to come see this one. It has elements of Cirque: some guys in red, some in silver and black, a rope act, the ring, clowning around on a trampoline. But wow! To give an idea, I loved Cirque (and as a whole show, prefer it). But the only time I was brought to "whoop" while clapping was at the final performance of Cirque. At the end of tonight's rope act, I was whooping and clapping so hard I nearly broke my hands. It was awesome.

I liked Skeleton Crew, but I strongly preferred Cirque to it. I saw it twice tonight. The first time I saw it I was actually kind of disappointed. It felt like a backyard circus version of Cirque. The second time I saw it I liked it a lot better. The timing was better, the performers had a better groove, and the audience was really into it. Each time there was a huge round of applause at the end, so I guess that's what really matters. It ain't about impressing Ryan. It's about the thousands of others who pay their hard earned money to go see it.

Oh, and there's is actually a returning cast member from Cirque in Skeleton Crew. You'd never guess who it is.

• Like 4

Unless it is Philip (the one who replaced Sam near the end of the season), I probably couldn't guess. With the heavy makeup, zombie expressions, and especially the face coverings, I was having trouble making out faces at all*. I noticed the one in the dreadlock-style wig/hat from Cirque looked like Philip in body type/height, but it's just so hard to tell.

*Not to mention heavy smoke by the third performance. They should probably get some big fans to clear the area because it can't be good for the performers to be sucking that in while working so hard, whether it is toxic or not.

Edited to add: you are going to have to spill who came back, because it IS going to drive me nuts otherwise :)

• Like 4

After seeing it the second time I liked it better. I still think the anticlimactic act needs to be modified. It pales in comparison to Cirque Imagine at least at this point.

I had heard Philip was the one who returned, but with only a glimpse at the end of their faces, it is hard to tell.

• Like 2

Tombstone was a great disappointment after all that wait. It would have been disappointing regardless. There is next to no variety on the long path back to the park, boxes every ten feet alternating left and right, often people lurking (visibly) behind them. Outside of the man who did the spiel on the train, no one seemed to be actually in a character other than "teenager in an old west zombie costume halfheartedly trying to startle people." I suppose they can be forgiven for their lack of enthusiasm, because I lost all of mine in the time I was standing out in the woods in the cold waiting for the disclaimer to be repeated over and over (could this be moved to the train PA so we all get it at once, and not create that second line?), and they had all been out there a lot longer. I also thought the hijacking would have been a lot more interesting than it was.

That's a disappointment to me, I was looking forward to Tombstone again this year. It is my favorite Haunt and has so much potential. Maybe since it was the first weekend it was a little rough? The hijacking is my favorite part and I can see how it might be tiring "robbing" the train all night but I still think it has the set up for a good Haunt, hopefully it will improve!

No Sam The Butcher was not out front of Slaughter. I happen to know the tall long haired freak and he has to much respect for his buddy Sam to ever try to take that name. I did here that guy has a big mouth and loves to hear himself talk.

Im 2 bizy with my pigys rakoons n gaters now 2 go owt frunt ov tha howse. Aftr thos yeers ov werking with Cletus 2 fix that kar horn at the old howse that tal long haird freek iz reely hapy 2 finaly heer hiz own voys! -Sam

• Like 3

No Sam The Butcher was not out front of Slaughter. I happen to know the tall long haired freak and he has to much respect for his buddy Sam to ever try to take that name. I did here that guy has a big mouth and loves to hear himself talk.

Im 2 bizy with my pigys rakoons n gaters now 2 go owt frunt ov tha howse. Aftr thos yeers ov werking with Cletus 2 fix that kar horn at the old howse that tal long haird freek iz reely hapy 2 finaly heer hiz own voys! -Sam

Gary, Sam hijacked your account again.

:)

• Like 7