My first...and Scary Haunt

Italian Job 2005

I attended opening night tonight. I'm making this brief for now...but at around 11:25, me and my friends were walking out from Flight of Fear and saw two security guards pinning a man in a green shirt to the ground and yelling at him to do things like "put your hands where we can see them" and such. (right in front of the concession stand in X-Base) It really didn't look like the man was complying, hence the yelling of the guards. As we made a brisk walk out of X-Base, we saw maybe 7 more security guards jogging towards X-Base (which naturally increased our fear and the speed of our walk to the front gate). We were out of the park by 11:35, after stopping at Skyline on International Street for water.

I know security issues like this arise at parks sometimes, but I couldn't help but worry in the moment that maybe the guy had a weapon or something.

This made me question a few things:

1. About how many guards to they have on duty every Halloween Haunt?
  2. If there is an issue where they can't contain someone with a weapon and he frees himself, how would the park notify other guests about the incident and/or evacuation?
  3. Why do people run after security guards when the guards are running somewhere? (why do people run TOWARDS potential danger? as there were kids questioning if there was a fight or something)
  4. Statistically, are there more "incidents" at Halloween Haunt than during summer operation?
  5. Is this the "upping the scare factor" that they talked about in 2008? :)
  • Like 1

Details of police/security staffing aren't (and shouldn't be) made public.

If there is an emergency, guests should listen to park associates for instructions.

Onlookers are there because it's human nature to be curious.

The park police department currently doesn't release records of incidents at the park. Related litigation and legislation is pending in Ohio.

No.

• Like 5

I attended opening night tonight. I'm making this brief for now...but at around 11:25, me and my friends were walking out from Flight of Fear and saw two security guards pinning a man in a green shirt to the ground and yelling at him to do things like "put your hands where we can see them" and such. (right in front of the concession stand in X-Base) It really didn't look like the man was complying, hence the yelling of the guards. As we made a brisk walk out of X-Base, we saw maybe 7 more security guards jogging towards X-Base (which naturally increased our fear and the speed of our walk to the front gate). We were out of the park by 11:35, after stopping at Skyline on International Street for water.

I know security issues like this arise at parks sometimes, but I couldn't help but worry in the moment that maybe the guy had a weapon or something.

1. About how many guards to they have on duty every Halloween Haunt?
  2. If there is an issue where they can't contain someone with a weapon and he frees himself, how would the park notify other guests about the incident and/or evacuation?
  3. Why do people run after security guards when the guards are running somewhere? (why do people run TOWARDS potential danger? as there were kids questioning if there was a fight or something)
  4. Statistically, are there more "incidents" at Halloween Haunt than during summer operation?
  5. Is this the "upping the scare factor" that they talked about in 2008? :)

I was also there tonight but everything was calm where I was at. The only commotion was the screaming patrons walking close to the strolling scare actors which seem to target groups of teenage girls. :o

• Like 2

• About how many guards to they have on duty every Halloween Haunt?
  • If there is an issue where they can't contain someone with a weapon and he frees himself, how would the park notify other guests about the incident and/or evacuation?
  • Why do people run after security guards when the guards are running somewhere? (why do people run TOWARDS potential danger? as there were kids questioning if there was a fight or something)
  • Statistically, are there more "incidents" at Halloween Haunt than during summer operation?
  • Is this the "upping the scare factor" that they talked about in 2008? :)
Let me take a crack at it:

1. Likely more than usual with a large teenage crowd.

2. There several ways. They have a full-park PA system, word of mouth from associates, and most recently FUNtv (Yes, FUNtv can be that dynamic)

3. It's human nature to rubber neck, I guess.

4. As Malem said, we don't know for sure. It seems to draw a rougher crowd, but I've never felt as though I was in a situation that is unsafe. There's a reason why the metal detectors come out for Haunt.

5. If you got to visit Fear Fest vs Halloween Haunt, you'd get to know the difference. Fear Fest was cool and all, but they didn't really push any boundaries.

• Like 2

I was at the park last night and thought it was pretty calm.

From my experience, any event that is going to be at night with a higher volume of teens/young adults, there will always be a high police/security presence. Less parental supervision means someone has to babysit the crowd because it is natural for young people to push the rules and boundaries.

I would hope they would never release the number of security/police that is present in the park. Doing so could cause more harm than good. I thought they had a well balanced security/guest ratio last night. As Haunt goes on and crowds increase, I would suspect security would increase.

I have only heard the park use the PA system for weather related things and know it is effective. They do a great job relaying that type of information to park guests. I will presume if a situation occured that could jeopardize the safety and well being of park guests, it would be as effective. I am sure a plan is in place if such an event would occur.

I have gone to the park since 1974 (yes, I am old). I have yet to have an incident occur where I have ever felt my safety was in jeopardy. I have seen security handle a variety of circumstances and have always thought they handled things quickly and effectively. Most incidence have been people fighting. With all honesty, the amount of times I have gone to KI in the 40 years I have gone, I have not seen excessive issues. I saw more issues pre Cedar Fair days than now, but definitely never anything excessive.

• Like 7

I know that the park is generally a very safe place. However, I'm way more anxiety-ridden than other people when it comes to these types of things (I really wish I wasn't). My mind couldn't help but jump to the worst possible conclusions of what could happen. I loved getting scared in the haunted houses and such, but when I saw the guy being pinned to the ground I freaked; even though the park obviously took care of it just fine.

Out of curiosity, were the two men pinning the guy to the ground wearing light colored uniforms or dark ones? Because the dark uniforms are actual police, not security guards.

Both had black shirts. The ones running back towards X-Base were a combination of both white and black shirts.

Did you really leave the park because you saw someone being detained without knowing why?

No, I have a 12:00am curfew; Flight of Fear was our last ride.

5. If you got to visit Fear Fest vs Halloween Haunt, you'd get to know the difference. Fear Fest was cool and all, but they didn't really push any boundaries.

I've only had a Gold Pass to Kings Island for four years, so I never had the opportunity to go to FearFest. I'm curious, what specifically is better about Halloween Haunt?

I would hope they would never release the number of security/police that is present in the park. Doing so could cause more harm than good. I thought they had a well balanced security/guest ratio last night. As Haunt goes on and crowds increase, I would suspect security would increase.

Agreed. Though in my anxiousness I couldn't help but wonder.

2. There several ways. They have a full-park PA system, word of mouth from associates, and most recently FUNtv (Yes, FUNtv can be that dynamic)

That's cool! They've actual used FUNtv for that purpose before?

• Like 1

Speaking as someone who has worked Haunt events in the capacity that you are inquiring about, let me give you the best answers that I can give:

1. Operationally, I can't give you that information, but I will tell you that there is an increased presence just due to the nature of the event.

2. The methods the park gives out information has been well documented by the users in the above comments, but I will tell you that with the amount of Park Police, Warren County Sheriff's Deputies, and Mason police, that this would be squashed quickly. Never in the time that Kings Island has been open has this situation happened there and, God willing, never will, so hopefully that puts your mind at ease.

3. That's just the nature of people sometimes. Seems to be even more true now with people able to video record incidents and upload them to social media websites.

4. What kind of "incidents" are you referring to? If you are referring to those that had an arrest, I am sure a public records search would help you with this question. I will be honest with you in saying that I was less likely to give some leniency to someone acting up during the Haunt, than other times.(Obviously depending on the situation) My reasoning behind it was this, the nature of the Haunt puts more folks in the "fight or flight" frame of mind, and I wanted to make sure that situations would not occur to make a guest have to choose one of those, especially the first option.

5. I haven't gone to the Haunt every year, so I am not sure I can speak on that. A lot of the other members here have much more knowledge than me on this topic.

• Like 3

BoddaH1994, on 20 Sept 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

That's cool! They've actual used FUNtv for that purpose before?

Not to my knowledge. What I can tell you is that they can put anything they want on one, some, all, or none of the FUNtv monitors at any time very easily.
  • Like 3

Last night when I was there, security was running the wand over people coming in and asking people to empty their pockets. Still someone could have brought a weapon into the park and wrapped it in aluminum foil causing the wand to not detect it (Ryan I'm sure you saw this happen a time or two with merchandise at the Big Blue Box- I sure did) or they could have concealed something around their ankle or low enough that the wand wouldn't have detected it. Generally, I felt pretty safe last night and I saw a good amount of security personnel as we made our way around the park. I have never felt unsafe at Kings Island, but for what it's worth Cedar Point, Kings Island, and I believe Dorney Park are the only parks in the Cedar Fair chain that I did not encounter a metal detector on my last visit, save for the wand last night.

I'm not sure exactly what happened but I did see Security hauling along at a pretty good pace toward Coney Maul last evening about that time.

To answer your question on incidents Italian Job 2005, my girlfriend asked me also why re-entry was not allowed last night. From what I've heard, it's a liability issue as someone could go out into the parking lot, consume alcohol, and re-enter the park which could potentially cause issues. It's something I don't believe Cedar Fair's legal team and the insurance underwriters would want to chance. She also asked me why they would not disclose why Diamondback was down for a little bit while we were next in line to board- I had to try my best to explain that one to her as she isn't used to dating a coaster enthusiast just yet.

Just my two cents...

My completely jaded assumption is that they don't allow for reentry because people gotta eat, and if people gotta eat and can't reenter the park, then suddenly people gotta eat IN the park (and at the park's prices!)

I would love to find out that I'm wrong. But I find it hard to imagine that this reasoning isn't at least a small factor.

• Like 1

Last night, my friend came up from my old town and I was going to buy her a ticket with my associate discount. I was already in the park at the time and it was about 8...I was denied going to the ticket booth to buy my friend a ticket then coming back in. Plus I have an associate ID. So I had her meet me at the turnstiles to which I gave her my money for $42! I understand somewhat the no re entry policy (maybe) but this whole situation made me mad. I wasn't the only one doing this either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found it particularly annoying because I had to dress for a 20-some degree temperature span. Since I don't like carrying stuff, and frankly don't really trust their lockers, I couldn't partially change clothes like I usually have on days when it's been much cooler in the mornings than afternoons.

At the beginning of the night, I was sweating even though I wore my hoodie around my waist, and by the end of the night I was really wishing I wore my long underwear.

At least as the season goes on, it should be more evenly cold.

As for the alcohol, yes, people can get it at the park, but in that case in particular, the mark-up should keep nearly anyone from seriously overindulging. It costs about the same at KI for one cider as an entire six-pack at the store. If the closed gate policy does keep people less under the influence, I'm personally for it. I can see why people might be much more likely to want to get drunk at Haunt than during the days at a park filled with kids (for some people their own children, who they are less likely to bring with them for Haunt).

• Like 3