NEW SLAUGHTERHOUSE vs. NEW KILLMART

Skyrider

Just went to opening night of Halloween Haunt at KI and went to both the new SLAUGHTERHOUSE and also the new KILLMART. Wanted to take a poll and see which one you thought was more scary and why. I will share my thoughts later, but I wanted to get a feeling of which one you felt was the better haunt.

• Like 1

KillMart was a big yawn-fest. I'm not a fan of zombies in general, and it was a pretty good example of why. They just aren't particularly intriguing.

Slaughterhouse on the other hand was the only house I went to tonight I can unequivocally say I enjoyed. Rather than simply people wearing costumes hiding behind corners, etc, jumping out to scream at you periodically (which was the norm for the other handful of houses and trail I did tonight), Slaughterhouse had some actual acting, characters into their roles, interacting with you for more extended periods rather than just sneaking up and being in your face for a couple seconds. It was fun and creepy.

• Like 5

Slaughterhouse was great as always. Is it REALLY a completely new experience? No. Not in the same way that a truly new Haunt would be. Yes, the layout changed, but you have the same themes and characters, and even many of the same props. It seemed longer though.

That said, I preferred last year's version, perhaps due to the sheer disbelief that the park could fit that much stuff into what was then Stunt Crew Grill.

Besides the "new" Slaughterhouse, I didn't do any Haunts that I hadn't done before. Wolf Pack was better than last year. Club Blood was... Club Blood. Anyone who's gone through it will know that's all I need to say. I am curious to go through Madame Fatale's again. In 2012, it was superb, but when I went through it in 2013, it was understaffed and many of the surprises were ruined as a result.

Oddly enough, Haunt 2012 seems like only yesterday, while Haunt 2013 seems eons ago. Perhaps it's because my visit for Haunt in 2013 was rainy and miserable, and is the second worst day I've ever had at Kings Island.

• Like 4

Slaughterhouse was great as always. Is it REALLY a completely new experience? No. Not in the same way that a truly new Haunt would be. Yes, the layout changed, but you have the same themes and characters, and even many of the same props. It seemed longer though.

That said, I preferred last year's version, perhaps due to the sheer disbelief that the park could fit that much stuff into what was then Stunt Crew Grill.

Besides the "new" Slaughterhouse, I didn't do any Haunts that I hadn't done before. Wolf Pack was better than last year. Club Blood was... Club Blood. Anyone who's gone through it will know that's all I need to say. I am curious to go through Madame Fatale's again. In 2012, it was superb, but when I went through it in 2013, it was understaffed and many of the surprises were ruined as a result.

Oddly enough, Haunt 2012 seems like only yesterday, while Haunt 2013 seems eons ago. Perhaps it's because my visit for Haunt in 2013 was rainy and miserable, and is the second worst day I've ever had at Kings Island.

I feel completely differently about that. I thought Slaughter House was kind of men over the past few years but I couldn't be happier with the new version.
  • Like 2

Slaughterhouse will be/is the best haunt that they have. Even for the first night in the new building, was very well done. Only complaint that I have is that it was very, very hard to navigate. I turned the wrong way numerous times, and I have never, ever done that in any haunt anywhere. Great actors, great scenes, very well done.

Kill Mart is a great concept with potential, a long haunt, very well put together, but, come on. Zombies does not equal scary, and, does not take talent to pull off. Went to way too much work to set up that haunt to have teenagers walking around like zombies. There are tons of places for scares in there, use them in the future, please.

• Like 2

I loved Slaughter House. I didn't go through KillMart the line was long.

Last night the wait line sign said a 75 minute wait for Killmart but really it ended up being around a 30 minute wait. This was at around 10:15p.m that I got in line. The people in front of me when we were almost to the front were asked by security (I assume since they were in a yellow jacket) how long they wait so far. The patrons said 20 minutes in which the KI worker said that's not bad. I wish they could update their wait signs and make them more accurate. Would going digital help this? Maybe they could get a digital signs similar to what Disney has. This summer I was given a lanyard to give to the attendant once I got to the front of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Car roller coaster.

• Like 1

Did they keep the blow up thing that caused claustrophobia in Slaughterhouse?

Yep.

I wish they could update their wait signs and make them more accurate. Would going digital help this? Maybe they could get a digital signs similar to what Disney has. This summer I was given a lanyard to give to the attendant once I got to the front of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Car roller coaster.

I think the best way to have accurate wait time estimates would be to stop "eyeballing" the queue and guesstimating, but instead keeping count of how many people are in line at any given moment and dividing by expected hourly capacity. This would be far more accurate and could easily be kept updated on a screen, but would require additional technology or additional staffing.

• Like 3

I did both and they seemed to be "well lighted".... Almost too much light. So much so that I could easily see all scare actors in their hiding places and I could easily tell that one of the characters was caged behind red bungee cords. Plus I dont understand the criss-crossing of the entrance and exit lines to both attractions. Over all both are improvements but still not quite "there" for me.

Plus...did anyone else notice the shout out to Phantom Theater in Slaughterhouse?

• Like 4

Plus...did anyone else notice the shout out to Phantom Theater in Slaughterhouse?

If you're referring to the reuse of the old furnace ending towards the end of Slaughter House... then yes! It was cool to see that be used again.

That furnace has been a part of Slaughter House since it started in its original incarnation in 2009. I was glad to see it made the move and is displayed much more prominently in the new house.

• Like 3

I have to say that I enjoyed SLAUGHTERHOUSE much more than KILLMART. SLAUGHTERHOUSE was great as I agree with others that the actors interacted more with you and I also liked how the maze was confusing at times. KILLMART was just actors popping out at you. You can tell they spent some real thought in the physical details but the actors need to be more frightening as it seemed more funny than scary. There was one actor on the floor that seemed like she was trying to imitate the one on the commercial for THE HAUNT at KI. The ones on the commercial seem a lot more scary than the real ones in the park unfortunately. :( It is still very fun to go to THE HAUNT but it seems like Bush Gardens and Universal seem to really do it right---never been but would love to.

• Like 1