Odd Issue With Vortex

flightoffear1996

So is Kentucky Kingdom's Thunder Run a completely different coaster in 2014 than it was in 2009? It was completely retracked before it opened, which would mean it didn't run on the same track as before.

FTW, not being argumentative... just asking the question that's kept him from speaking up in the "Are Mantis and Rougarou separate credits?" thread.

• Like 3

That question hasn't kept me from posting there. The fact that I haven't looked at that thread lately is what's kept me from posting there.

I look at it like travelling on a road. I can travel I-75 in my car or on a bus with standing room only. But either way, I'm travelling down I-75. They can add or remove lanes (an analogy for Son of Beast and Hades and their inversions) but that doesn't change the fact that it's still I-75. They can repave it (Thunder Run) and it's still I-75. However, if they tore up the asphalt and converted it to a completely different form of transit (let's go with a canal, because those are fun) then it is very clearly no longer the same thing, even if they continue to call it I-75 (An analogy for the RMC conversions at SIX parks).

The only situation this doesn't have an analogy for is relocations. And for those, I consider it the same coaster.

Yes, Rougarou will probably be a totally new experience, but I track coasters, not experiences. If I tracked experiences, then my spreadsheet would be a lot longer to make room for wheel seat rides vs non wheel seat rides on The Beast, as one example.

• Like 2

A complete demolition, followed by a complete rebuild from all new materials constitutes a new road (or coaster) by the way I count.

Of course, some people might count differently, and that's fine. This conversation is prompting me to program my own database application to track my coasters. Coaster-Count.com works, mostly, but it only offers one way of counting. As we've learned, not everyone counts the same way. I'm writing my own database (with a browser-based frontend written in HTML and PHP) where I specify everything manually, so I can count racing coasters as only one, while also counting Haunted House at Camden (things coaster-count doesn't allow). I will happily share my source code when I' done if anyone wants it. I'm also really awful with CSS if anyone wants to help with styling.

Anyway, looks like another topic has been successfully derailed. Sorry about that, lol.

• Like 5