Why No Bat Merchandise ?

Screaming_Chicken

There are shirts with The Bat's logo, however, I have only ever seen it on shirts with the logos of all the rides.

Of course, there is also merchandise with its former name, as well as at least one product with The Crypt's name and logo. There are two things I have seen in stores within the park this year that feature the likeness (but not the name or logo) of Son of Beast.

• Like 4

The "$10 and Under" shop at the entrance to Coney Mall is a good place to find merch for retired/renamed attractions. I bought a t-shirt (for $5!) earlier this summer that lists Firehawk, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Crypt, Son of Beast, Flight of Fear, Flight Deck, Beast, Vortex, and Racer. I got it specifically to commemorate the two in that list that only existed during the 15 years or so I wasn't going to KI.

• Like 3

There are two things I have seen in stores within the park this year that feature the likeness (but not the name or logo) of Son of Beast.

What are they? For I must purchase them.
Both are at Thrill Seekers on I-Street. One is a snow globe of the KI skyline, featuring the Crypt and Flight Deck's logos, and the likeness of SoB, plus Delirium with its pre-2014 color scheme.

The other, at the same shop, is a T-Shirt for the little ones with the text "The Beast future rider" and an impeccable likeness of not The Beast, but his beloved son.

• Like 2

There's a sticker set featuring The Crypt, Flight Deck, and Boomerang Bay: http://www.kimarketplace.com/Kings-Island-14-Piece-Sticker-Set-P325.aspx

And a mug featuring featuring Flight Deck and Crypt: http://www.kimarketplace.com/Kings-Island-Neon-Ride-Names-Mug-P390.aspx

Along with several others featuring defunct names or attractions...

I agree. It surprises me some that a shirt wasn't sold this year.

I wish they would sell more apparel (shirts specifically) for older rides. Not everything, but having a shirt for Racer and Adventure Express sounds cool. Only 4-5 rides tend to get all the apparel, and it's usually overkill...like 5 different shirts for each. Cedar Point suffers from the same problem. You can't find a Mantis shirt, but they have 25 Gatekeeper shirts.

• Like 3

It's a vicious cycle. When you superserve the target market and virtually omit others, you shouldn't complain when your peripheral audiences seek options elsewhere.

See also flat rides, midway seating, food selection, ambient music, parking lot trams...

Best day ever...for young thrillseekers.

The Kings Island or Cedar Point of 40 years ago these parks are not. In some ways, that's good. In others, it's very, very sad.

• Like 4

Yeah, I would buy the heck out of a forest green Adventure Express shirt with this logo and the 1972-1992 Kings Island logo beneath it. Would have made a neat limited edition shirt for the 40th anniversary. Oh well.

FTW, not faulting KI... Just pointing out how impressed he was with KD's 40th anniversary this year.

• Like 4

The Kings Island or Cedar Point of 40 years ago these parks are not. In some ways, that's good. In others, it's very, very sad.

I know someone who visited the park in the '70s and worked there in the early '80's. He has a pass now, and he said that it's very different now. He said that going to Kings Island used to be SPECIAL. Now it's "hey let's kill a couple hours at Kings Island." It's still very fun mind you, but it's not special once you get a season pass. It's hard to place all this with nostalgia getting in the way. I remember as a kid in the 90s and early 00's our yearly trip PKI was quite special.

How much do you guys think the parks original intention as more of a themed destination park like say Busch Gardens Williamsburg or Dollywood was killed with the introduction of the season pass? Sometimes I wonder if the industry regrets the day they ever introduced season passes, or maybe to a much lesser extent pay-one-price. Less kids, more big spenders.

• Like 1

Well, when you think about who usually will end up buying apparel, enthusiasts aside..

Do I need to finish the thought?

--That implied, I wouldn't complain if The Bat got a T-shirt

I get what you are saying, but I do think there is a market out there. Just not to an extreme degree (probably don't need a t-shirt for Scrambler).

Many people have been riding The Racer for 30+ years and are more likely to buy a Racer shirt than a Banshee one. I'm sure there are also season pass holders whose favorite ride might be Delirium or Flight of Fear.

• Like 4

I know someone who visited the park in the '70s and worked there in the early '80's. He has a pass now, and he said that it's very different now. He said that going to Kings Island used to be SPECIAL. Now it's "hey let's kill a couple hours at Kings Island." It's still very fun mind you, but it's not special once you get a season pass. It's hard to place all this with nostalgia getting in the way. I remember as a kid in the 90s and early 00's our yearly trip PKI was quite special.

How much do you guys think the parks original intention as more of a themed destination park like say Busch Gardens Williamsburg or Dollywood was killed with the introduction of the season pass? Sometimes I wonder if the industry regrets the day they ever introduced season passes, or maybe to a much lesser extent pay-one-price. Less kids, more big spenders.

Hard to compare, the person comparing Kings Island of the 80's to the Kings Island of today is having that be after 30 years (give or take a few) of maturity added onto them, things look very different through the eyes of a young child than that of a middle aged adult. My father recently visited Kings Island for the first time in over 20 years and he was blown away by how it is now, and in a good way. There are things there now that I wish were there when I was a kid (water park, Haunt, etc) and things I wish were still there that are no longer there (Winterfest, theming on the train ride, etc.). Things just change with time, that's the nature of moving forward and trying to stay relevant with the times.

I bought a Bat mug yesterday. Without the sign and regular entrance path, there's probably quite a lot of people who don't know The Bat is there or open this time of year.

I rode it yesterday and as I passed the Son of Beast station up the ramp on my way back out, I had a woman ask me what ride was back there. I told her The Bat and to go ride it. I think she was going to.

• Like 1

While visiting Sea World and BGT back in June I walked into every shop I saw, looking for shirts. I never saw a single shirt dedicated to any one Coaster. There were thousands of shirts with the parks logo on it though or animals. I finally found a shirt at BGT that had 5 Coasters on it and settled for it instead.