For this who don't want to be scared...

BoddaH1994

It works for me.

The image is a sign advertising "no boo" necklaces on sale for $5. They're worn to tell monsters that you don't want any "Boo!"s.

Sam told us to get one for ohiocolts last night on our second trip through Slaughterhouse Reloaded. Yesterday was apparently the first night for them. I didn't see any, though.

• Like 7

It's still a shame all the parents who force their kids through the mazes. I saw a mother who was very forceful with her 3 young children last night pushing them through Madame Fatale's. We were right behind them and weren't being scared (rightfully so) because the "monstors" could hear the kids screaming that they wanted to go home and they tamed it down.

These glow sticks would definitely assist in the problem, however getting their parents to purchase these is another story.

• Like 7

I like the thinking behind this but I think it makes it very tough ln the scare actors and could complicate things for people in mixed groups of pro-boo and no-boo. You can't please everybody, but I respect that they are trying.

That's what I was thinking, it's not just the 'No Booers" not being frightened, it's everyone in a ten foot vicinity.

I like the idea for the park, i.e., walking down Coney, but perhaps those too frightened to go into mazes might be a little more responsible for themselves and just not go into the Haunt mazes!

• Like 5

I like the thinking behind this but I think it makes it very tough ln the scare actors and could complicate things for people in mixed groups of pro-boo and no-boo. You can't please everybody, but I respect that they are trying.

That's what I was thinking, it's not just the 'No Booers" not being frightened, it's everyone in a ten foot vicinity.

I like the idea for the park, i.e., walking down Coney, but perhaps those too frightened to go into mazes might be a little more responsible for themselves and just not go into the Haunt mazes!

I think the roamers are what they have in mind for this, rather than going through the mazes, although I'm sure they'll attempt to respect the fact that you don't want to be scared in the mazes too.
  • Like 4

A pretty cool idea.

But guys, this also relies on the notion that all scareactors have been informed and educated about what to do (or not do) when they see one of these. If relevant past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior, many scareactors probably don't even know this is sold.

Perhaps when you purchase one, you'll be told, "If the scareactors are still scaring you, have them call Guest Relations and we'll explain it to them."

• Like 4

But people do bring their kids to the Haunt, I'll not lie, if my father had a chance in the past, before they had large scale Haunts, he would have brought us to to KI at Halloween.

I was his soldier in the past, and looked out for my sister. He would take us to the JayCee Haunted Houses, a passel of girls, and go through with us. If my sister got too scared, I was there. This sparked a huge interest in me: special effects makeup, I would not have the job I have today if I weren't so intrigued.

He was a big monster movie buff, he loved frights, and in a dad's mind, he's sharing what he loved with us, like he did fishing.

I saw a dad in front of me in line to get in,(My husband says I'm a Monster Magnet.) his boy was about 12, and as monsters came by, he gave reassurances, and had his arm around him.

Some kids should come to Haunt, we don't know the psychology behind the parents bringing them. I have to say the parent should be there, to share the experience with them, not just drop them off and pick up.

In my personal experience, parents lose a lot by not being an active part of their children's lives. The father and son in front of me in line have a lifetime of memories.

Some of the parents who dropped their children off at Six Flags on Fight Night will have a lifetime of regret.

I think the new gewgaw, the "No boo" is, as Boddah says, good for the midway. I suspect the roamers will know about this, as everyone must meet each afternoon to get their look on.

• Like 5

How quickly do you think this scenario will happen at guest relations..."my little Joey was wearing a No Boo necklace and the monster came up and intentionally scared him. I demand our admission fees back or some restitution. I mean little Joey is now scarred for life." and then it hits the evening news.

And now the monsters on the street and in the attractions will have to screen every guest before they scare them.

Why not have a special line for those wearing the necklace that breaks off from the main line, heads around the outside of the haunt to a waiting area at the exit......problem solved. ;)

• Like 5

Guest dtk1376

I'd wear the thing if I went up there just to ride rides, not because I would be scared of the people in outfits, just because I don't want them pestering me while I'm walking around the park. It's bad enough trying to get through the swarm of KI employees in the entrance way trying to take my picture (now that's something I would buy, a necklace to keep them from trying to take my picture).

• Like 8

I'd wear the thing if I went up there just to ride rides, not because I would be scared of the people in outfits, just because I don't want them pestering me while I'm walking around the park. It's bad enough trying to get through the swarm of KI employees in the entrance way trying to take my picture (now that's something I would buy, a necklace to keep them from trying to take my picture).

Figure out what color the slips of paper are that they hand you after taking your picture. They don't change daily to my knowledge. Bring a small slip of paper of that color with you and hold it up as you walk in.

I have done this before, and it usually works. Sometimes you get the overzealous guy that wants to take your picture anyway, but honestly, it's 5 seconds and they've got quotas to meet, so just let them take the picture and they'll be satisfied and you can carry on with your day.

Another idea is to have your group split up and rejoin after you get past them. I have not been stopped by them a single time when coming to the park alone.

Guest dtk1376

My daughter hates strangers and freaks out when they start approaching. We usually cut through the gift shop to avoid them, but they have fooled us by being way back towards the fountain before. Seems a nuisance to carry a piece of paper to keep from getting my picture though. I think a much better option would be have a stand on both side of the fountain as well as the entrance to Action Zone with a big clear sign saying get your picture taken here or something along those lines.

• Like 3

So here's the lowdown:

I talked to a couple of kids who were selling these things. Mainly I wanted to see who was buying these things. Essentially, the consensus I got was that the vast majority of those who purchased the No Boo sticks were people who wanted to enjoy the rides at the park but weren't particularly fond of the roamers. My observation in seeing the No Boo's was that you would either see a group of adults (or at least old enough for HH) all wearing them, or one or two adults in a group of more.

I actually did a handful of mazes tonight and didn't see a single one in line. People who buy these things aren't stupid. They don't expect 100% accuracy - especially in the mazes. No one bought them for their 4 year old kid while they were line jumping and smoking outside of the designated smoking area or anything like that.

Some idiot on KIC's Facebook was saying that this was another example of how they're doing this to make it too expensive to go to the park. That this was another example of corporate greed. Really? A $5 thing that you AREN'T required to purchase? In fact, it's a better deal than I had thought - they could EASILY have had $5 one time use Glowstick No Boo's that you'd have to purchase every time. This is an LED light thing that can be used over and over if you wish.

The truth is, stuff like this is an opportunity for the park to make money. There's no denying that. It's also an opportunity to augment a person's personal experience in a way. Not unlike Skeleton Key. It in no way hinders your experience at the park or at Haunt specifically. Giving the public more of an opportunity to spend money does some wonderful things: first as the park and chain generate more cash so more capital investments are made in the park. Inverted roller coasters don't buy themselves. Secondly, they can do more without being forced to raise the prices of season passes, general admission tickets, parking, etc.

• Like 16

I would consider buying the no boo stick. I could handle paying $5 to get some last night rides in before the season ends. I don't like being scared so I would not be one who even attempted the maze.

And for those that are trying to spend time with friends/loved ones that do like the experience of Haunt, it could be seen as a good compromise.

• Like 4

I think this is a great idea. I would have gladly paid $5 to not have had to run from ride to ride all night and not to have piggybacked my daughter all the way from Banshee to the gate when we were leaving a few Fridays ago because she was too scared to walk. We were just riding rides and the actors themselves didn't bother her too bad when she spotted them; it was just the stupid fog and the possiblity of someone hiding it that freaked her out.

• Like 1