Kings Island Inn & Conference Center closing soon?

I remember when the campground was still open, my family and I used to just walk from the campground to Kings Island which was really convienient and cheaper than the Great Wolf Lodge. We used to go to Kings Island and go back to the campground and eat lunch and go back to Kings Island . It was more cheaper, than staying in a hotel too, so I'm in favor for a new campground , if possible.

• Like 3

I remember when the campground was still open, my family and I used to just walk from the campground to Kings Island which was really convienient and cheaper than the Great Wolf Lodge. We used to go to Kings Island and go back to the campground and eat lunch and go back to Kings Island . It was more cheaper, than staying in a hotel too, so I'm in favor for a new campground , if possible.

I would rather not camp out right next to the highway......

I feel like the only revenue that KI&CC is really getting is nostalgia. When it comes down to it, there are two resorts to stay at relatively close to KI. Option A is an old run down motel next to the interstate with at par amenities, and a huge hotel with an indoor waterpark. I personally would stay at GWL more than KICC. But at the same time, it looked as if it was making some profit during the season. I hope that it is not going, but I am actually surprised that it is still there. (I'm waiting for the motel enthusiast to come and rage about this any second now :) )

Let's say the KIICC were to get ousted, what would I want?

-New hotel

-New KI store for the off season

-RV/Cabin site

-Restaurant

As Terp pointed out, a stand-alone campground (unfortunately) wouldn't bring in enough revenue to stand alone. It would be an interesting/exciting move if Great Wolf offered some sort of outdoor camping experience, but they would obviously have to extend their brand on that one.

Sorry for getting this convo off topic..

Yikes! Certainly not the worst I've seen in person at some other hotels but it's up there. I've learned to take reviews on both extremes with skepticism. But when there are such pictures, it's hard to justify paying more than $40 a night for the room.

If they haven't closed in the off season before, it will be interesting to see what they are planning. Most hotels at that level will stay open during renovations, even when there is one building with interior corridors. If they are doing renovations, I wonder why they wouldn't just close down a building at a time.

I think this place closing could be a blessing in disguise for Kings Island. Most of the reviews I read about it range from mediocre to terrible, and I think in many cases that can reflect poorly on Kings Island. I know that Kings Island/Cedar Fair does not own the Inn, but, as others have said, many in the general public think that they do. They share a name and have a shuttle service going to and from the park.

I once came across a 1-star review on the park's Facebook page which, to paraphrase, said something along the lines of: "The park is great, but the Kings Island Inn is not etc. etc...." For that reason alone, I would think the park would be happy to see it go, getting bad publicity for another company's low standards is not something that the park would want I don't think.

I'm also curious as to why the Inn was allowed to still use the Kings Island name after it was no longer owned by the park operators... I guess the golf course did too, but it also enjoys a better reputation...

• Like 2

There are lots of businesses that have "Kings Island" in its name, just as there are businesses that has "Cincinnati" as part of its name. I don't think there is any trademark or other protection to prevent using it as part of its name.

Lets face it, the Inn was constructed in the early 1970's and it is dated. Why the current owner did not update the motel is a question mark. I think it had been remodeled in past years but not sure what has been done lately. You would think new carpets, new beds, and bathrooms would be part of any basic rehab plans, but who knows. Maybe they do have plans to do either a complete rehab, maybe just paint and new carpets and beds, or a complete deconstruct and build NEW buildings to bring it into the 21st century and compete with the newer hotel/motels. If the current owners or new owners if it might be sold, might close the entire hotel, tear down the old, and build a new hotel on the same spot. Or they might do sections at a time and remain open for partial business. Time will tell.

It would be interesting to see what the current or past employees are saying. With potential changes like we are speculating about, rumors must be spreading among the employees. Maybe time to go into the bar, have a beer or two and pop the question to the bartender as we make small talk. They know the current condition that the rooms are in and I am sure they have pointed them out to management. The condition of the motel rooms reminds me what has been in the news about that hotel in downtown Cincinnati that has been in the news about its similar room conditions and its infrastructure that has had serious issues.

• Like 2

*shrug*

I actually like the place.....suits my needs perfectly.

^ same here. I have only stayed there once, but I thought it was decent and I really liked the fact that it was close but not expensive.

I agree with both of you. I stayed at the hotel for Coasting For Kids this year and the only problem I had with my stay was the fact that the website said I could check in as early as 2 pm but when I got there, the front desk said 4 and my room wasn't ready yet.

The room was nice and clean. It was a big room actually for 1 person. I'd be upset if this place closes as I'd definitely stay there again.

• Like 6

With those pictures showing the obvious deficiencies that are visible, what about the things that we can't see unless we get up real close or use an UV light source? I once made reservations at a hotel in DC that was close by to the White House and a block from the FBI building that was very cheap (as compared to other hotel/motels) in the 1980's and on the safe side, made reservations at a known motel just in case. It turned out the Hotel Harrington was just like the old Hotel Gibson in Cincinnati. The Hotel Harrington turned out to be clean and it catered to the tourist trade. Next time that I visited it had been rehabbed with new carpets, beds and paint. Granted it was not the Hilton and definitely not the Ritz, but was perfect for a person on a budget. It is still opened and if it had been in the shape that the Kings Island Inn is and with the pictures and bad reviews and no improvements made, I doubt it would still be open to this day. Time will tell what takes place at the Kings Island Inn.

I'm shocked that across the street from the former CFHF, businesses seem to thrive. I suppose it's based on smaller acreage. At the time I checked the CFHF property, it was not being subdivided...it was buy it all or nothing.

I'm wondering if KI might opt to snatch up the KI INN property for an "on-site" motel property since the electrical infrastructure and right of way will still remain?

• Like 1