Kings Island Inn & Conference Center closing soon?

Well personally......that would be the worst use of that property.

I was truly hoping for something similar to the old resort with updated accommodations. But again, this would be my personal preference even though housing may be a better fit for the economy of the area.

I'm just being selfish.

• Like 5

I dont mean to play devils advocate (oh wait, I sort of do :) )......

There are a lot of businesses/buildings that have sat vacant for years in the Cincinnati area. So it doesnt seem too surprising to me that for the last few years if it was up for sale an no serious offers were made. Maybe it was too much, maybe it just wasnt what someone wanted. I do find it odd that all of sudden its closing and new plans are being made. It makes me think that it may be a more true statement than false.

Maybe the people who were looking at it saw the potential for only a resort type atmosphere and being across from Great Wolf Lodge, sort of hurts the idea that it could be profitable.

Hopefully the local government will see it that way as well, though I doubt it. If the planning has gone this far, I'm sure they've already lobbied the local politicians for support. These large property companies will have done "research" that will undoubtedly paint a great and rosy, (and undoubtedly highly profitable) picture. Sadly in cases like this, the long term impact will likely not match the short term gains.

I had high hopes, as it seems others have had as well, that Cedar Fair would have seized this opportunity to protect their interests in the area. An apartment complex, no matter how "luxurious", is an apartment complex. In it's time, the KII&CC, was considered to be quite nice. IMHO the area has already been overdeveloped. To add a residential zone that close is asking for problems in the long term.

• Like 4

I'm surprised at the proposal. Apartments in that location doesn't quite make sense. If it goes through, I imagine that there will probably be noise complaints about I-71, traffic complaints May through October, and complaints about fireworks. It doesn't matter that they picked that location to live and KI is long time fixture.

It happened in Columbus with Polaris/Germain Amphitheater. That was with people that bought houses in the area after the concert venue was built. Folks complained about Cooper Stadium - and anything proposed to be there after it moved - on the basis of sound, even though 70 is a few hundred feet from the location.

It says the zoning decision will be made on December 18th...we'll find out soon.

• Like 4

300 apartments...approximately.

$35 million.

Luxury apartments?

Really?

This is way too low in cost for luxury apartments in the Mason area. And look at the parking in that picture in the Business Journal. For that matter, look at the artist depiction of the buildings....

Were I Cedar Fair, I'd be making the company's views known....

• Like 4

"I will pay you, your car, for one dollar"

I can't help but think of that looking at the prices! Sad thing for it to go, but I wouldn't mind having a thing or two from there now.

Luxury? Apartments? Concept? Across the street from.GWL?

I have a headache.

If these houses do happen, how long till they complain about the noise and traffic of KI?

that's sort of what I was thinking. If I were guessing, they'll look like the new apartments off 741 west of I-71.

I can't help but wonder though what is gong to be the bigger complaint: noise from I-71 to the west or the noise 6 months out of the year across the street, not to mention traffic issues are various points of the year.

KI Inn's time has well passed- but I'm not real certain that there'll be a waiting list to get into housing at this "prime" location.

• Like 6

Towne Properties is a fairly well known company in this area. They do own many luxury apartment and condo developments, the closest to KI being the Falls at Landen subdivision off Columbia south of Socialville-Foster. Plans there start at $895 a month for 890 square feet.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Towne Properties is a fairly well known company in this area. They do own many luxury apartment and condo developments, the closest to KI being the Falls at Landen subdivision off Columbia south of Socialville-Foster. Plans there start at $895 a month for 890 square feet.

You state they own many luxury apartments and condos Then state the closest to KI, runs about $895/month. I don't know much about rental rates in Cincinnati, but that hardly sounds like a "luxury" rate.

Being unfamiliar with the area you quoted, I don't know how far away from KI it is, or if it's location is less desirable.

• Like 2

You state they own many luxury apartments and condos Then state the closest to KI, runs about $895/month. I don't know much about rental rates in Cincinnati, but that hardly sounds like a "luxury" rate.

Being unfamiliar with the area you quoted, I don't know how far away from KI it is, or if it's location is less desirable.

It's about a mile from the park. The website for the property calls them "resort style" apartments, so I assumed it was luxury.

• Like 1

My guess is the Commission might have the developer go back and make tweaks to the design to incorporate more luxurious building materials--more brick and metal, less wood. Plans are often tweaked several times before they're approved. In the Indy burbs anyway, a nice apartment is about $1.25 or so per square foot, which is right in line with these units. If so, that would make the rents anywhere from roughly 900-1250 a month, which again is considered luxury. I lived in an apartment for a year in a tony subdivision that was about 1100 a month for a 2 bedroom unit. It featured white appliances and laminate countertops and had a very small kitchen. In tax parlance, governments are always seeking what the highest and best use of the land is. No doubt if KI or the Beach went away, that land would be chopped up and sold off to developers.

• Like 4

Towne Properties used to own Hunters Run Apartments in Lebanon, Ohio, where I live. It is what is called, "affordable housing" and my 3 bedroom/2 bath ranch apartment runs $740 a month. They sold it last December to another management firm. Believe me, they had those apartments for just the tax write off and did not maintain them as they would with their luxury apartments.

• Like 2