Vortex acting werid when I went last. (last weekend)

JubJester

So I left line of WindSeeker because it got stuck at the top (completely other story). So I decided to go towards The Beast but when I was passing Vortex I heard this loud screeching noise. I noticed when I looked it just came out of the corkscrews so I decided to watch it go through another run. When it reached the point of the corkscrew when you're upside down it made the noice again and there were sparks or something coming out of the wheels. Does this meaning it might be nearing its end or does it just need refurbishment?

All rides at Kings Island undergo regular maintenance. Some parts, such as the wheels of roller coaster trains, are replaced periodically.

If you think that a ride sounds different than normal, definitely inform a ride operator.

yea. The sound was very loud and people went over to the maintenance workers who just happened to be finishing up work for the broken down WindSeeker.

Wheels on Vortex can be replaced relatively quickly, too. As I recall from a previous KIC meetup, a wheel replacement on Vortex happened while another group was in line for it, and took roughly the same amount of time that it took jcgoble3 and I to ride Flight of Fear (with a skip-the-line pass).

So basically, if the issue is that a wheel needs replaced, it isn't a repair that would likely put the train out of commission for a great length of time.

• Like 3

...but when I was passing Vortex I heard this loud screeching go towards Tnoise. I noticed when I looked it just came out of the corkscrews so I decided to watch it go through another run. When it reached the point of the corkscrew when you're upside down it made the noice again and there were sparks or something coming out of the wheels....

I believe the squeeling wheels but I'm calling bull**** on your claim of "sparks or something coming out of the wheels."

• Like 5

...but when I was passing Vortex I heard this loud screeching go towards Tnoise. I noticed when I looked it just came out of the corkscrews so I decided to watch it go through another run. When it reached the point of the corkscrew when you're upside down it made the noice again and there were sparks or something coming out of the wheels....

I believe the squeeling wheels but I'm calling bull**** on your claim of "sparks or something coming out of the wheels."

What ever makes you sleep at night. I was the one there

The weels had sparks around that area.

Well if the ride was sparking I'm sure it would have been shut down.

Also if it was sparking, I'm sure it would have been reported by more than 1 unknown person who is new to a fan blog.

Also if it was sparking I would hope you would have reported it to someone.

Was it sparking because the steel was grinding against the concrete as it sank?

Well if the ride was sparking I'm sure it would have been shut down.

Also if it was sparking, I'm sure it would have been reported by more than 1 unknown person who is new to a fan blog.

Also if it was sparking I would hope you would have reported it to someone.

Was it sparking because the steel was grinding against the concrete as it sank?

You had no reason to say that. Putting down someone new makes the rest of us look bad.

• Like 7

Wheels on Vortex can be replaced relatively quickly, too. As I recall from a previous KIC meetup, a wheel replacement on Vortex happened while another group was in line for it, and took roughly the same amount of time that it took jcgoble3 and I to ride Flight of Fear (with a skip-the-line pass).

So basically, if the issue is that a wheel needs replaced, it isn't a repair that would likely put the train out of commission for a great length of time.

I remember that. I was one of the members who stayed in line waiting on the wheel to be changed. It was about the same time it takes to pull off and back on a tire on a car. I think it took them longer to run the test cycles than to change that bad wheel. We waited about 15 to 20 minutes.

I remember that. I was one of the members who stayed in line waiting on the wheel to be changed. It was about the same time it takes to pull off and back on a tire on a car. I think it took them longer to run the test cycles than to change that bad wheel. We waited about 15 to 20

I remember that. I was one of the members who stayed in line waiting on the wheel to be changed. It was about the same time it takes to pull off and back on a tire on a car. I think it took them longer to run the test cycles than to change that bad wheel. We waited about 15 to 20 minutes.

What was the process of switching the wheel?

I remember that. I was one of the members who stayed in line waiting on the wheel to be changed. It was about the same time it takes to pull off and back on a tire on a car. I think it took them longer to run the test cycles than to change that bad wheel. We waited about 15 to 20

What was the process of switching the wheel?

Not sure, could not see much from where we were!

Just curious how long was WindSeeker stuck? And did it get stuck at the very top of the tower or halfway or...?

It got stuck at the top for about 15 minutes. Then it took 5 - 10 minutes to get it lowed down (they were lowering it slow)

Exhibit "A" why I've likely taken my last WindSeeker ride.

Not sure the average lifespan of a Steel Coaster, BUT- Vortex is approaching 30 years of age.

• Like 2

Just curious how long was WindSeeker stuck? And did it get stuck at the very top of the tower or halfway or...?

It got stuck at the top for about 15 minutes. Then it took 5 - 10 minutes to get it lowed down (they were lowering it slow)

At least this particular WindSeeker has not had multi-hour evacs like most of the others. At least none that I have heard of. I wonder if something has been changed to make the lowering process quicker than it first was when the other parks had people stuck at the top for 2 and 3 hours.