5th Walt Disney World Theme Park?

If the new park is unique and fun, I say why not.

I only fear that they get too big and fragmented. I'd hate to see another situation where the new park turns into what Hollywood Studios is now to some, a park in need of some work.

I enjoy all Disney parks, but it might just make more sense to expand the current parks.

• Like 2

There are no plans for a 5th gate. Lance on Screamscape is throwing stuff against the wall to see what will stick. If anything, WDW is in need of more value and family-style suite hotels (think Art of Animation). That's where the big $ is for Disney. I know Disney is aggressively looking to build more Art of Animation style resorts, so that's a more likely fit, given the location. Disney doesn't build theme parks next to strip malls such as the one that just broke ground.

• Like 3

Instead of a fifth park, how about Disney World begins focusing on improving the existing ones? Magic Kingdom is still great the way it is, but Epcot and Hollywood Studios need help. Epcot is way outdated - Ellen's Energy Adventure, for example - and needs updating. The idea of the future and innovation nowadays is not as interesting as it was in the 80s. Hollywood Studios is the one park I seem to have a totally different opinion of than other people; while it does need updating as well, I'd rather them not add a Star Wars or Cars land. Stay true to the movie-making side of it. Animal Kingdom is only sixteen years old and isn't in any need of repair (besides the yeti), so leave that alone.

Adding a fifth park would just be way too much anyways. Planning trips around four parks is difficult enough. Imagine the cost if you wanted to go to all five. Plus I'm not even sure what the theme of it would be.

Universal has the right idea. Two parks, a central "downtown"-type area, and a few resorts, all located close to each other. They don't need to add a whole other park to keep it going.

• Like 3

I agree with the above two comments. Not sure we need a 5th park at all. I'd like to see them update/expand the current parks, well all except the Magic Kingdom really. They could definitely add some more attractions to Hollywood Studios and also Animal Kingdom. Oh wait, Animal Kingdom is getting Pandora. Oops, I forgot, or did I? Perhaps my brain was trying to suppress that from my memory. Oh well, either way, I think they could definitely expand on some of the stuff they have now. As much as I love Epcot, yes, it could use some updating. More family-friendly "budget" type resorts are also a good idea.

I think these things make much more sense than adding a whole new 5th park. It is hard to do 4 parks as it is. I can't remember the last time I went down there and tried to do all 4 parks. I usually just go to the ones I want to go to, but not all 4. How long would it take you to see 5 parks? Longer than most families have for vacation probably.

• Like 1

Disney charges way too much for everything anymore.

Not true. The more days you add onto your ticket, the cheaper it becomes. They let you bring a cooler (no hard sided) into the park with food on it. You can even have grocery stores deliver food to your Disney hotel. If you stay on property, you get free parking and transportation. If you stay off property many hotels offer you free transportation to the parks. Disney is expensive if you go for 1 day, but if you go for a longer trip it becomes cheaper.

And if you go in the summer, throw in two water parks and that makes the trip really strenuous if you want to visit all 6 parks in a week-long vacation.

#firstworldproblem If I want to squeeze in 6 Broadway shows while in NY, while seeing David Letterman, SNL, and Jimmy Fallon it would be difficult to do it as well.

WDW, as is, already needs at least a week to experience fully. Add a 5th gate and families will need to start picking and choosing which parks they want to go to.

They might choose the Universal parks to avoid all the stress.

Not sure how having so much to do/see is stressful. Some people go to Disney to experience it for 3 days, some go for 14 days.

Disney charges way too much for everything anymore.

Disney charges what people are willing to pay.

Exactly.

Not sure why there always seems to be an undertone of Disney hate on here. If a 5th gate ever does get built, its because of demand.

Sometimes I feel that there is a pervasive hate on here of all things Disney because its popular with many many people.....

• Like 6

to add to what shark stated above, this is about 5 years old, but I think the form still holds true (though I assume the dollar amounts have gone up)

a 1 day pass was like $75

a 2 day pass was like $135

a 3 day pass was around $180

a 4 day pass was around $185

a 5 day pass was around $190

a 6 day pass was around $195

so going for 1 day, yes its a large gate, much bigger than what we are used to at KI. If you are down there for a week, adding on days beyond 3 is super cheap. We did a 6 day ticket, even though we were thinking we'd only hit the parks for 4, maybe 5 at most. It was worth the extra $5 a person just in case we had the calling to go for a little bit.

• Like 1

Universal's park-downtown situation is dictated more by the land available to them than by economics. Disney beat Universal to the punch by 30 years in Orlando, so naturally they got the most land for the best price. Universal is pretty landlocked in its current locale, but like Cedar Point, they make good use of what they have. Disney has acres and acres (40,000+ of which 25% can be developed per Walt's will). Those at Disney using the free dining plan benefit greatly, which of course frees up spending on higher margin items like merch. The resort can be done on a budget, as numerous forum members here including me have noted or done. Or, the resort can be done for a king's ransom. All depends on what your expectations are.

• Like 6

Of all the Disney hotels I've stayed in, the Moderates have consistently delivered at a higher level for a lower price point than did the Deluxe or Value resorts (if you're paying top dollar, I'd advise shunning the Poly and opt for Wilderness Lodge or GF if you want to stay near MK or the Yacht or Beach by Epcot). If you're a former or active armed forces member, the discounts available are terrific.

• Like 1

Yacht And Beach Club is the true name , Yacht Club is more New England Nautical, while the Beach Club is more Myrtle Beach themed. Yet it should be noted that both share the same "Best resort pool" due to the sand bottom and the amazing LAZY River, and whirlpool. Might I add that the slide was one of the most interesting in WDW. I used to stay there ALL the time and I loved the Yacht Club!

Yes, i am more of a Disney enthusiast occasionally, only because I visited 13 yrs in a row and research it often.

• Like 1

Military friends I've travelled with to WDW can get 4 day Hopper tickets through their respective bases for a pretty big discount (177, plus tax unless if bought at a base). As for the hotels, I know Shades is dependent upon rank, but generally speaking, the hotel discounts are 30-35-40% for Value-Moderate-Deluxe.

• Like 1

Having done Disney on the Cheap, Moderate and Military last year. Yes SoG along with the discounted park tickets is an amazing savings. Also SoG has a great location and can almost be considered a monorail resort seeing as you can walk to the Poly station in 10 minutes. Moderate has always been our favorite and we have always tried to travel with free dining, but...

This year we are blowing it out Disney style for Christmas. Staying in a Villa at Bay Lake Tower, Deluxe Dinning (Only paid to upgrade since we got free table service (5 signature meals for the week)), flying (have always driven) and will be attending a Christmas Party at the Kingdom. Did I mention we are party of 6? Still for what we are paying it is not that bad overall all things considered and it is Christmas and Vacation rolled in to one.

• Like 2

Or, the resort can be done for a king's ransom. All depends on what your expectations are.

I've done the king's ransom package before - that was a heck of a trip. Of course, my grandmother paid for all of it...

Also, if you want to tick off your waiter, go to a really nice restaurant in WDW on New Years Eve and ask for only french fries. You'll get an appetizer of french fries, an entree of french fries served with two sides of french fries, and a dessert of french fries drizzled in french fries. In my defense, I was in 7th grade...but man, that was a lot of french fries.

Edited by tubaman
  • Like 6

Epcot has great food with different variatons of countrys, I wonder what delectibles would be at the new park.

The BEST out of ALL of the countries were Germany, Norway and Italy. Germany had the Biergarten, which is probably one of the best venues now. Italy had a restaurant called Alfredo's (as I called it) amazing food and amazing ladybug dessert. Norway had this little bakery with strudel, BB1 likes his apple strudel........ I've never ate in France though, doing that on my next trip.

^

Have done the Yachstman and we much prefer Le Cellier for dinner. The Yachstman has a lovely wood on wood theme with an air of east coast yacht club snobbery that was unappealing. I will stick with the Ribeye or Filet from Le Cellier and some beer cheese soup and pretzel bread.

And if we are talking romantic we love Narcossees's for dinner and then Wishes from the dock.

• Like 1