Geauga Lake Protesting

Honestly, at this point it would be less of a re-opening of Geauga Lake and more of a "building a new park where an old park once was- save ONE roller coaster that's still there" since nearly everything there is in disarray or removed by now. And that's even if that happens, which is an uber-longshot: I do not see Cedar Fair adding any new parks for the near future (10 years+ or so) especially so close to Cedar Point. And even if it did happen, it would very likely be a MUCH smaller park than what it was at its "peak" in the Six Flags era.

Geauga Lake, sadly, is dead with a less than 1% chance of returning at this point. Overgrowth from Six Flags, followed by Cedar Fair needing to gut something to make room for the Paramount Parks aquisition, is what I feel killed it. Which is a shame because this did seem like a great park.

And even if it did happen, it would very likely be a MUCH smaller park than what it was at its "peak" in the Six Flags era.

I don't want to speak for anyone else here, but a smaller park is something I would like to see. Four coasters. Handful of rides. Low prices. Bundle in the water park on the other side. Would easily go once a month.

• Like 1

It's not whether there is sufficient demand for a small park. That's like looking at a nice house in your hometown and wanting it when it isn't for sale and won't be for decades. Cedar Fair isn't going to allow a competitor to set up shop there.

And if you had to spend a fortune to change their minds, there are far, far better locations for a small park...

• Like 2

For them to protest a closed park that will cost millions to rebuild makes no sense. I get where they are coming from. But they need to put the issue to rest. It also seems like the person who made the page doesn't like it when others go against them.

• Like 2

I wouldnt say SF ruined that park. That park was destined to close when CF bought it.

SF invested into the park. DId they over expand? Yes, but I wouldnt say they ruined it.

CF could have scaled operations back some, move some rides, etc. CF razed the entire dry side.

Imagine if CF would have acquired it under current management. You would have seen a scaled down GL not a complete razing.....

• Like 5

Protesting implies that there's something to be done.

Folks apparently don't understand that the park is razed. Gone. Plumbing, restrooms, paths, planters, wiring, bricks, etc. have all been entirely bulldozed. This isn't one of those skeletal parks that has creepy abandoned buildings to explore. There are no buildings. Horrific and wildly depressing. You could get a hundred thousand people to stand outside holding signs and it would make no difference. This isn't a Kentucky Kingdom case where someone can swoop in and re-open what's left and add a little more. It truly is a vacant lot.

The concept that an amusement park belongs there is alive only because one used to be there. Independent from that, any vacant lot is just as likely / able to support an amusement park as that one is.

• Like 2

SF overexpansion lead to its' demise, ruin, however you want to word it. And there's no saying that current management would have been interested in downsizing it either. I can't imagine that locals would be too excited over that either. Instead of protesting or save Geauga Lake campaigns, you would be having discussions more like Michigan's Adventure, where people would say how they were screwed by removing a majority of their rides which would later turn in to a gripe fest about how they never install anything at GL.

• Like 1

Most small parks' fates were sealed with the advent of the interstate system. No longer was a park warranted in every little town. The future big players stepped up to the plate and built regional parks near highway junctions and at epicenters between major cities. Smaller parks continued to fill a niche. Some survive today; the vast majority didn't.

I'm not sure whether this all was good or bad as far as parks go, but I would lean towards good for the most part. Before parks were more unique with more atmosphere, more personality and there were more of them, but again you probably would only go to the park closest to you. This holds true today as I would bet that most people that go to KI only go to KI, outside of some going to the Florida parks on occasion.

Then a park typically had one or two roller coasters, some flats, games of chance, and maybe a show or a walk-through attraction. You paid per attraction, and as a result, probably stood in shorter lines. Now parks with 5+ roller coasters and thrill rides are fairly common but there is typically only one sizable park within a couple hour drive. Today you pay one price for the day or even the season, waiting in longer lines, but ride as much as you want. It's not necessarily better our worse, just different. Feel free to disagree with me though.

• Like 9

Very good points KI Guy. I myself have only been to four amusement parks. 3 large scale: Kings Island, Cedar Point, Geauga Lake. 1 small scale: Camden Park. All of those are what I call local to me.

Although, now I think about it, I went a very few times to the old Myrtle Beach Pavilion when vacationing with my family there and one other park down that way that I can't remember the name of. It may still be there.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I was under the impression that the coaster, and only the coaster, was sold to someone by Cedar Fair, who failed to ensure that the sale contract included a clause requiring removal of the coaster from their land within a set period of time, and that the new owner of the coaster has been content to sit on his or her hands ever since, with Cedar Fair powerless to force removal of the coaster and unable to do anything with the land while it sits there.

I invite someone to correct me if I'm wrong here.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that the coaster, and only the coaster, was sold to someone by Cedar Fair, who failed to ensure that the sale contract included a clause requiring removal of the coaster from their land within a set period of time, and that the new owner of the coaster has been content to sit on his or her hands ever since, with Cedar Fair powerless to force removal of the coaster and unable to do anything with the land while it sits there.

I invite someone to correct me if I'm wrong here.

It's hard to tell whats going on at GL anymore. Lol.

Since Geauga Lake can never be an amusement park again, I'd like to see it turned into a picnic park like it was a long time ago, MAYBE with the Dipper SBNO but nicely maintained as a historical artifact. I understand why these people are protesting. The closing of Geauga Lake had horrible effects on that town and driving by it is really depressing for those of us that lived there/visited there during its heyday. A lot of people would be happy to see SOMETHING decent done with it and not just left to rot for another 8 years.

But then again, how does Cedar Fair or the next buyer make MONEY if they turn that land into a picnic park? And where do they get the money to maintain the Dipper? Wishful thinking on my part. But it would be nice.

Edit: Capitalization errors.

• Like 4

Since Geauga Lake can never be an amusement park again, I'd like to see it turned into a picnic park like it was a long time ago, MAYBE with the Dipper SBNO but nicely maintained as a historical artifact. I understand why these people are protesting. The closing of Geauga Lake had horrible effects on that town and driving by it is really depressing for those of us that lived there/visited there during its heyday. A lot of people would be happy to see SOMETHING decent done with it and not just left to rot for another 8 years.

But then again, how does Cedar Fair or the next buyer make MONEY if they turn that land into a picnic park? And where do they get the money to maintain the Dipper? Wishful thinking on my part. But it would be nice.

Edit: Capitalization errors.

Same way most other places make money with a picnic park.  Pay to rent facilities.  Have high profit experiences (boat rides?), offer unique experiences.  Daily/monthly/yearly pass fee.  Think the Hamilton County Parks.  $4 for the day, $10 for the year.  Costs $50 to rent a picnic house.  to rent a paddle boat costs $5 per hour or something like that. 

I would imagine the cost to turn the park from blight to bright would cost a pretty penny, but Im sure if a company were to do that then it would be reflected in the overall value of the land...

• Like 3