Geauga Lake Protesting

I could see it being a good location for a Meijer. Aurora honestly didn't have many large grocery stores to choose from when I lived there. A lot of small, overpriced stores. We always had to go to neighboring towns. Looks like they have a nearby Walmart now, but I think they'd like having more options close by.

I just still really hope someone takes some of the land and makes it into a picnic park/playground and honor its history.

• Like 4

Meijer is a success story, it has been for years. Look at their growth rate and profits. They aren't going to put something in that is going to fail in a fiscal year.

They know what they're doing, its going to work.

The amusement industry in Aurora is dead and even if very unfortunate its time to give up the dream it ever would come back. We don't need an Ed Hart in Aurora Ohio trying to resurrect a dead amusement park here.

• Like 8

Exactly CandyManCan. There's really nothing to resurrect. Maybe those protesters need to look at this site and see the images you posted. Seems like they think there is  actually something there worth saving. Often times, our memories tend to be better than the reality of the situation.

• Like 3

Meijer is a success story, it has been for years. Look at their growth rate and profits. They aren't going to put something in that is going to fail in a fiscal year.

They know what they're doing, its going to work.

The amusement industry in Aurora is dead and even if very unfortunate its time to give up the dream it ever would come back. We don't need an Ed Hart in Aurora Ohio trying to resurrect a dead amusement park here.

Even though another Ed Hart in Aurora would be interesting lol

• Like 2

^ Putting new residences close to parks is a recipe for disaster. Because eventually someone WILL find a reason to be bothered just to sue (despite the fact that the park was obviously there first and they choose where to live). More restrictions will be put on the park. Etc. etc. So fingers crossed that won't happen or the waterpark will be gone too.

Such has been the fate of many local race tracks across the country. Motor racing at the local level has really suffered due to this.

• Like 5

I woke up today had to have a 2nd cup of morning joe and could not believe the prospects of a Meijer. Love the whole philosophy of Meijer family owned n ran Sam Walton could not even by them.

Really this us bad for the site.

Maybe Paramount would build Erie Wood a east coast Hollywood studio and fun area.

I'd rather nature just take the land back.

Eh, guess Meijer is ok. Haven't set foot in one in about 5 years though.

Nature has taken over already, see trees growing inside of Big Dipper's structure. However much of Geauga Lake was concrete or areas filled in with rubble. Things won't grow for quite some time. Then what grows will be mainly weeds and tall grasses, not really a great sight seeing concrete rubble and grass. 

I'm all for development or a recreational area of some sorts. Amusement business in Geauga and Portage, not one bit. If a city fights on bringing wider roads and tourism services (hotel chains, etc.) then it's not a good investment, as it's been shown.

• Like 3

I will never understand why they fought development so much. Now they have almost no tourism to bring in money AND a giant eyesore that has lowered property values in the area. They sorta shot themselves in the foot.

• Like 3

I will never understand why they fought development so much. Now they have almost no tourism to bring in money AND a giant eyesore that has lowered property values in the area. They sorta shot themselves in the foot.

It's a 150 million dollar eyesore too. I don't see CF getting all of that money back.

• Like 3

^^

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2004/03/08/daily24.html?jst=b_ln_hl

Cedar Fair bought the park for 145 million from Six Flags. When the park was closed down, they relocated the rides to other parks, which represents the majority of their investment. So while Cedar Fair IS losing some money keeping that land, they're not losing quite that much, only the amount that represents the worth of the land and the rides that they chose not to relocate. Plus yearly property taxes, etc.

• Like 3