Interactive Park Maps Are Now At Kings Island

BoddaH1994

B0vMxV2IUAAvB7j.jpg

From Kings Island's official Twitter: @KingsIslandPR

I think this is a great thing. It's probably more user friendly than a paper map, plus in and out of park advertising has fantastic opportunities with this. As you can see from the photo that Don Tweeted, it can be in cahoots with FUNtv, based on it showing the Instagram photos like FUNtv does.

• Like 16

Sorry to double post but....

I just got to play with an interactive map. Those things are awesome! Not only does it give you directions from your location to your destination, but it gives you approximate walking time.

Not only that - the right side of the map, powered by FUNtv, gives you ride and Haunt wait times and features user-interactive images from Instagram and Twitter.

Next time you're at the park, you gotta play with it!!!

I did a quick walk through:

http://youtu.be/2_IOfUtBQLQ"]http://youtu.be/2_IOfUtBQLQ

• Like 21

I just got to play with an interactive map. Those things are awesome! Not only does it give you directions from your location to your destination, but it gives you approximate walking time.

Not only that - the right side of the map, powered by FUNtv, gives you ride and Haunt wait times and features user-interactive images from Instagram and Twitter.

(video removed)

Very cool! Thanks for the demonstration video.

I've never seen anything like this in an amusement or theme park before. I'm wondering if this was another one of Mr. Ouimet's brilliant ideas, or if this was a local idea from KI management.

• Like 2

(video removed)

I've never seen anything like this in an amusement or theme park before. I'm wondering if this was another one of Mr. Ouimet's brilliant ideas, or if this was a local idea from KI management.

Probably not. Almost certainly a concept developed by the map industry and sold to various markets. I highly doubt the park or Mr. Ouimet devised the concept. At most, they decided to try it in their park(s).

• Like 4

Probably not. Almost certainly a concept developed by the map industry and sold to various markets. I highly doubt the park or Mr. Ouimet devised the concept. At most, they decided to try it in their park(s).

Yeah, Ouimet or whomever wouldn't directly invent or even seek out this sort of thing. If you want to give management credit, credit them for making the investment/taking the risk. I'm sure this thing wasn't cheap, but the ad revenue opportunities are fantastic for this.

This is great. Could also be the beginnings of a fun mobile app/website...

This year, I've thought it was so funny that they've added something like FUNtv, which is both state of the art and one of a kind. Then they've added these interactive park maps, which can't really be found in other parks.

...yet their mobile app would be an embarrassment if it came out three years ago.

Trust me - they are well aware.

This is just the beginning.

Thanks! Not unlike Cirque, this was something that you really had to see and was hard to explain.... unlike Cirque, I could film this and put it on the Internet. :rolleyes:

I think that maybe you don't understand the structure of Cedar Fair. Although some capital investments are handed to the parks chain wide (like FUNtv) many are individually based. Essentially, the parks are given a budget and are free to invest it as they see fit. I'm sure things are approved by corporate or whatever but it's not like it's Matt Ouimet, Phil Bender, the spirit of Jack Falfas, and Richard Zimmerman sitting around a table deciding which park gets which ride.

I am, however, willing to go out on a limb and say that this is a corporate strategy, with KI being the guinea pig.

Again - this is just the beginning It'll be FUN.

• Like 9

Random question; does anybody know how they determine the length of the ride ques for these interactive maps? I'm only asking because the wait-time signs outside the rides are often inaccurate, as anybody -- park guest or associate -- can change them, which can result in the signs saying there is a 120-minute wait, where there is only a five minute wait.

Random question; does anybody know how they determine the length of the ride ques for these interactive maps? I'm only asking because the wait-time signs outside the rides are often inaccurate, as anybody -- park guest or associate -- can change them, which can result in the signs saying there is a 120-minute wait, where there is only a five minute wait.

yeah, they are pretty innacurate. I had to wait 45 minutes walking through the queue, and getting on a train with no one else, on Invertigo just 2 fridays ago.

• Like 4

The wait times on this seemed reasonable. I'm not sure if they're 100% accurate or not, as I didn't test them. One thing I noticed was that right when the park opened and everything had less than a 10 minute wait, Backlot had a 50 minute wait. I'm thinking it was miskeyed and was supposed to be a 5 minute wait.

• Like 3