Interactive Park Maps Are Now At Kings Island

BoddaH1994

Random question; does anybody know how they determine the length of the ride ques for these interactive maps? I'm only asking because the wait-time signs outside the rides are often inaccurate, as anybody -- park guest or associate -- can change them, which can result in the signs saying there is a 120-minute wait, where there is only a five minute wait.

I'm not sure about the ride estimated times, but for haunt I know that it has been used at haunt to give a piece of paper to a guest in line, and then the guest give that paper to the host.

Other methods may have been used, or may regularly be used as opposed to the one above, especially when concerning the normal rides.

--

I will say, that I, on the other hand, have found ride estimated times to be fairly accurate when it's during busy-ish days. -- I once went on a more dead day, and estimated times hadn't been updated since 6pm the night before, assumingly because most everything had a walk-on and didn't warrant a need for a line estimation.

• Like 1

The day a park I go to seldom expects me to carry a phone in their park and use their app to navigate is the day I ask the park to provide a personal guide gratis or a refund, including parking. Their choice.

Paper maps are fine.

Terp, curmudgeon.

Until they're not the norm.

In 10 years people are going to say, "You mean you cut down trees to print a paper park map that you either lost or threw away at the end of the day????"

• Like 1

Ugh. And the fingerprints on that remind me why I wash my hands so often at KI.

They have free sanitizer at the Sea World parks in various locations. I kinda wish KI would get that.

The direct sunlight thing isn't unique to these devices. This is the one that's by the tower, facing Planet Snoopy. The sun comes down on it when it's going down. This is going to be far worse in the prime season. The only solution I know if is to physically shift it so it's not facing east or west. Of course, I'm sure there is other stuff that can and will be done to prevent this. How valuable is something that only works at certain times of the day?

Again, word is that we are only scratching the surface of what we will see with these interactive maps. And the app? Just you wait.

• Like 2

The day a park I go to seldom expects me to carry a phone in their park and use their app to navigate is the day I ask the park to provide a personal guide gratis or a refund, including parking. Their choice.

Paper maps are fine.

Terp, curmudgeon.

What about parks like Stricker's Grove that simply don't offer maps of any sort, paper or electronic?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the company Reflect Systems "shared" my demo video of the touch screen maps. I'm going to go ahead and assume that they're responsible for the signs. Here is a behind the scenes demo on how it works. This is from 2012, although the fundamentals haven't changed, more augmentations have been made to the technology.

• Like 4