WDW Hollywood Studios

I just read that the Studio Backlot Tour is now closing in about a week at Disney Studios! Does this mean this area is getting cleared for the highly anticipated Star Wars Land? Others have thought it might be for an expansion for Pixar Place so that when they do start to build Star Wars Land in another area of the park, there are other attractions to help with the lost capacity during the building of Star Wars Land. It might be the latter as that would make Star Wars Land an exceptional amount of the park. With American Idol Experience recently closed (speculated to be where the Frozen Sing-A-Long show goes) what do you think is happening at Disney Studios? Whatever it is it seems like BIG changes are coming!!!! What are you thoughts or has anyone heard what is coming?

• Like 1

I'm willing to bet money that it'll be this...

tsland01.jpg

Photo courtesy Pixar-Planet.fr

Why? It's a small, cheap addition that can be constructed relatively quick and is easily marketable. Plus it'd fit well, branching off from Toy Story Midway Mania.

Do know the exact park this is from? I can tell its not here in America.

^^Although there is a nearly-identical area at Walt Disney Studios Park in Disneyland Paris.

Interesting to note, Walt Disney Studios Park is the closest park to Florida's Disney's Hollywood Studios. It has many of the same attractions (Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, etc.) and has a very similar movie studios theme. It also has multiple Pixar themed rides, something I could easily see DHS expanding with in the near future:

• Crush's Coaster (Finding Nemo)
  • Cars Quatre Roues Rallye (Cars)
  • Toy Soldier Parachute Drop (Toy Story)
  • Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin (Toy Story)
  • RC Racer (Toy Story)
  • Ratatouille: L'Aventura Totalemente Toquee de Remy (Ratatouille)
  • Like 1

Disney has not yet leveraged their Star Wars ownership to any measurable degree. That's going to happen before much else.

No matter what, it's GREAT to see movement in Orlando. Finally, something. New Fantasyland is a great addition. Each park deserves something of that caliber or MORE. Epcot and Studios could each do with billion dollar re-builds if we're being honest. Hopefully this (and Maelstrom's unfortunate closing) signal a start of investment. At this point, it's needed.

• Like 3

^

Just playing off that idea, could you imagine Radiator Springs Racers stopping for a pit stop in the canyon when all heck breaks loose.

WDW is expanding in all parks currently, which is what enthusiasts have been clamoring for, yet they are now complaining of construction wall everywhere. Go figure.

• Like 6

^

Just playing off that idea, could you imagine Radiator Springs Racers stopping for a pit stop in the canyon when all heck breaks loose.

WDW is expanding in all parks currently, which is what enthusiasts have been clamoring for, yet they are now complaining of construction wall everywhere. Go figure.

Which is why WDW keeps shifting its ride rehab dates around all the time. On my last visit, Astro Orbiters, COP and JC were all slated to be closed for a short 2 week rehab, but lo and behold just 2 days before my arrival, those rehabs were pushed back to the now less busy fall season.

• Like 1

Cool. I know I will get hate for this comment but I for one do not care for Star Wars. Star Tours is enough for me and I REALLY don't want to see Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom. Pixar Play Place that's something I would like to see.

Living with two non-Star Wars fans, I get where you're coming from, but personally I would love to see an expanded Star Wars section. I've loved the series since I first saw Episode IV in the theater as a kid in 1977 (it's the first movie I remember seeing in the theater). The Star Wars weekends the DHS has each June are a huge draw for the park, and with the franchise being revitalized I could see this happening.

However, I do agree with you about Avatar Land. When it was first announced I just groaned. I didn't care for the movie at all, and to base a whole new section of a park with multiple attractions on one movie, even if it is the highest grossing movie of all time, just seemed ridiculous to me. Yes, I know there are plans for more Avatar films, but so far the Avatar franchise has not proven to have the staying power of Star Wars... perhaps in time it will. Maybe it's just my dislike of the film that's clouding my opinion of Avatar Land. I'll more than likely see Avatar 2 when it eventually comes out (just to give the franchise a second chance), and I'm sure I'll visit Avatar Land at some point and may even end up liking it. I'm not really into Harry Potter but I appreciate all the detail that Universal put into Hogsmeade at IoA (haven't been back since Diagon Alley opened), and I consider HP & The Forbidden Journey to be the best dark ride on the planet. Perhaps Avatar Land will impress me just as much. I'm open.

• Like 9

Thanks. For the assist Ryan and the mention Interpreter, I miss all the fun here but building Avatar Land has been far more time consuming than what I thought it would be. Speaking of running I will be running the full Chicago Marathon on October 12thin a little over two weeks. I will once again be running as a team member of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I am a bit proud that in two years time I have accomplished a lot physically but more than that I have raised $17,737.00 for cancer research.

The family is driving me crazy wanting to get to the park ASAP. Hope to see you all real soon here or there!

• Like 13

^ I know how you feel. When I went to Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2010 for an evening during the Last Tour to Endor event (the farewell for the old Star Tours), I got there early enough to catch a Backlot Tour ride. I wasn't impressed. :P When I did a full trip to Walt Disney World in 2012, including a full day at DHS, I skipped it in favor of spending my time on other things.

• Like 2

I rode the Backlot Tour for the first and last time today. It will not be missed.

Yea as it is now it needs to go. I remember riding it back in the early 90's and there was a lot more to it. You actually got to walk through and see people working on animation stuff, more about movie making and audience participation stuff, and the tram tour was a lot longer but so much has been taken out. Not it's just a couple quick scenes and a loop through a storage room and Catastrophe Canyon. It's needed to be taken out for awhile.

Anything new going in there will probably be better than the tour now. And it opens a lot of space for expansion with the area it took up as well as free space behind it that has been unused until now.

• Like 2