WDW Hollywood Studios

When Disney's Hollywood Studios opened, the tram tour was 2+ hours. Guests would first board trams in the area now used for the Animation exhibit. The trams would pass through a costuming department that was truly and honestly making costumes for films that shot at the park. Then the trams would pass through the "Streets of America" facades, showing off a fake New York, San Francisco, and small town.

Then the tram would pass through Catastrophe Canyon before pulling up to a midway break point where riders would disembark and could rest as long as they liked. The Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure was there to give kids time to play before the tour continued.

The second half - a guided tour - stopped by the water effects tank for some guest interaction. Then you'd climb up to the top of the park's three active sound stages and walk along catwalks to see in-production films being shot. Then you'd pass through the animation building where real Disney animators were at work making real full-length animated Disney films on the other side of the glass.

Pretty quickly, it was obvious that the park wasn't big enough to handle crowds, so the Streets of America were pulled from the tour and became free-access walking areas for guests. Not long after, the three active soundstages were pulled from the tour and made into separate attractions. (Today, they're Toy Story Midway Mania, Walt Disney: One Man's Dream, Legend of Jack Sparrow, and Voyage of the Little Mermaid). Opening those sound stages as rides also opened the tram route behind the Chinese Theatre to pedestrians as "Mickey Ave," so the entrance to the Backlot Tour was moved to the end of Mickey Ave - its current location. The big art deco arch currently leading to the Art of Animation exhibit with the park's logo on it was originally the entrance marquee to the Studio Tour.

In other words, the ride began like Universal Studios Hollywood's Studio Tour, where it was meant to be a long, engaging, and personal look into a real, active movie studio. Obviously when the working-studio idea went kaput, then the park needed to expand its public areas, the ride became a shell of its former self. The car stunt show absorbed even MORE land and for the last ten years or so, it hasn't even been worth having it around.

Here's a map of the park during its opening season. Notice just how little of the park was available to pedestrians. Wow! Anything in purple was "the backlot," only accessible to those on the Studio Tour. The "theme park" is in orange and red.

mgmmap.gif

• Like 4

If anything Frozen related goes in that empty space/area... :angry:

I'm not saying it's a horrible movie, it's just that Disney's been on Frozen overload here recently (yes it's a new movie & it's popular, but will it be something worth wasting a WHOLE area to?!) If they ever decide to do anything Frozen related, it should go in the New Fantasyland (not Epcot or HS) You know Disney's killing Frozen when they take it to Animal Kingdom! Lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rumors of a Disney California Adventure sized re-build are growing.

On this (outdated) map, #9 (The Backlot Tram Tour) just closed. That clears up a whole lot of land.

#11 (Toy Story Midway Mania!) is expected to expand into the empty soundstage (#11) to add a third track. (Sorely needed since the ride gets into the triple digits in terms of wait time most every single morning.) The small soundstage between #11 and #13 is currently the Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow walkthrough, which - it was announced today - will close forever on November 6, 2014.

The Sorcerers Hat will disappear from the end of Hollywood Blvd., again creating a consistent 1930s Hollywood land.

#7, The American Idol Experience, was supposed to close next year, but was rush-closed this fall to use the stage for a Frozen show, which is scheduled only through next spring.

#5, #13, and #16 are theaters playing shows that started in the late 80s or early 90s. #8 is a desperately outdated playground. #1 and #6 are empty theaters.

Yep, this park is ready for a full re-build, and things are looking good. Every week or two Disney announces another attraction that will close at Disney's Hollywood Studios. If it's not leading up to a whole bunch of openings, then they're crazy.

disney-world-hollywood-studios-ma.jpg

EDITED for expansion

• Like 5

Good - it obstructed the view of the rest of the area and it made the area too "small".

The only question I have about the whole makeover of HS is, will the name ever be changed? A park with Star Wars land and no backlot tour or anything even show-related is hardly a "studio". Disney's Florida Adventure? :)

• Like 5

Good - it obstructed the view of the rest of the area and it made the area too "small".

The only question I have about the whole makeover of HS is, will the name ever be changed? A park with Star Wars land and no backlot tour or anything even show-related is hardly a "studio". Disney's Florida Adventure? :)

My own ideal buildout version of the park was renamed Disney's Hollywoodland Park to celebrate the Golden Age of cinema and the idea of stepping into the movies. Not saying that's the best, but I think a name change would be in order. (I also removed the Sorcerer Hat. Because... duh.)

For what it's worth, back when Disney's Hollywood Studios was announced as the name, Universal Orlando was supposedly doing exit interviews asking, "Where would you expect Disney's Hollywood Studios to be? What would you expect Disney's Hollywood Studios to be?" Allegedly they were giddy with the results as folks assumed it was a California park at best, a gated movie studio at worst. Not sure if that's true or not, but could be!

• Like 5

A bit from the WDWE: The Sorcerers Hat was something of an icon and an eye sore. Sure, it had a cool shop and shade, but it REALLY took away from the whole feel. Oh well, at least i still have my Sorcerers Mickey Hat from the shop. I feel as if I need to get back down to FL ASAP to see what's going on and get some updates on my attractions. i e Yeti situation(rode it in the first month, Yeti worked, then it didn't), AK expansion, NW Pavillion, heck even Fantasy Land.

• Like 1

I don't love or hate the hat. To me, it's just always been there. Many of my friends who have gone to DHS for years don't like it. They think that it blocks the view of the iconic Chinese Theatre/Great Move Ride. I could see that point of view.

With the hat there, you cannot see that point of view...

Terp, running for the door.

• Like 6

Is the hat not featured on the map above??

I'm confused exactly where on the main road it is located.

2my9ffk.jpg

You can't miss it. Seriously.

It's absolute absurdity. I could see temporary placement as a stage for the 100 Years of Magic celebration (which is what it was meant to be). But to have this meticulously re-created 1930s Hollywood Blvd. that's period specific and beautifully detailed and lovely, with a Cinderella-Castle-esque majestic recreation of the Chinese Theatre at the end of the street drawing you in... And then to put a 122-foot-tall hat in front of it? Huh?

A fantastic example of how simply absurd it is: Parkeology conducted a MUST-READ "interview with an Imagineer" who discussed the painstaking detail and effort put into Disney California Adventure's Buena Vista Street. The Imagineer discusses the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into recreating a 1920s Los Angeles with authentic tiles, textures, fountains, bricks, colors, and craftsmen. The Imagineer then excitedly breaks the news that the towering "Hat of Dreams" will be placed directly in front of the Carthay Circle Theatre recreation, with lasers, a stage, and Pin-trading inside. When the interviewer argues that Mickey Mouse wasn't even created in the 1920s, the Imagineer counters that in this exciting new backstory, the theme of the hat "is 'magic!' Or maybe it's 'fun' I'm not really sure."

Carthay-Circle-rendering-WDI-(1).jpg

BEFORE

carthay-circle-theatre-big-hat.jpg

AFTER

It sounds absolutely unbelievably absurd and outrageous, but that's very sincerely EXACTLY what happened at Hollywood Studios!

bih+hat+of+dreams+model.jpg

This scale model shown at the press event reveals the carefully thought out relationship between the hat and the theater.

Haha!

Never mind… Hasn’t Disney already done something similar to this at Disney-MGM Studios (now Disney’s Hollywood Studios) in Florida?

I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with that park you mentioned, is it new?

Jim Hill, famed Disney writer and enthusiast, reports that the park will be re-branded, and that the current name choice is... *drumroll please*

Disney's Hollywood Adventure

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Disney's loses its possessive. That's the new style. Disney Aladdin on Broadway, Disney California Adventure, Disney FastPass.

I don't love it, but it's fine I suppose.

• Like 3

I don't know about that. I've heard that World of Color is superior, but I don't think anyone leaves Fantasmic feeling cheated.

I've just never liked Fantasmic. It's a good show, sure, but compared to the other shows across the Disney properties, especially other shows across Walt Disney World alone...

Soon, both will be a distant memory. "Wow, remember when they did that?"

Mickey was apparently just dropping limbs and accessories all over Central Florida. They should've had his tail curled around the tree of life and a glove over Cinderella Castle's highest tower.

• Like 3

My understanding was that the hat was placed there intenionally to cover the theater facade because of a legal dispute with using the Mann Chinese Theater likeness, much like duplicating the iconic Hollywood signwould require very expensive licensing.

Hmm, wasnt the theme of Hollywood Studios "The Hollywood that never was" or something like that? Couldnt that make DHS a parody of the real Hollywood?

• Like 2

Mickey was apparently just dropping limbs and accessories all over Central Florida. They should've had his tail curled around the tree of life and a glove over Cinderella Castle's highest tower.

Don't forget this!

CakeCastle.jpg

• Like 6

Don't forget this!

[picture removed]

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! MY EYES!!! :P

• Like 5

I don't know about that. I've heard that World of Color is superior, but I don't think anyone leaves Fantasmic feeling cheated.

I've just never liked Fantasmic. It's a good show, sure, but compared to the other shows across the Disney properties, especially other shows across Walt Disney World alone...

While I, on the other hand, absolutely love Fantasmic and can't understand all the love that so many people give to Illuminations, which in my opinion is the worst nighttime show at WDW. Different strokes...

I wasn't aware that AI had already closed. The Gatorettes will be heartbroken because they thought they would have one more chance to see it when we go down in December, but with how much they love Frozen, that heartbreak won't last too long since that's what replaced it.

• Like 3

I personally like what Disney has done with incorporating all the LED technology with Cinderella Castle. Very cool use of an iconic landmark. I especially love the icicle lights that will soon adorn the castle for the winter season. I recall the ugly birthday cake during 1996 and cant say I miss it!

• Like 2