Kings Island adding two rides and other improvements for 2015

Two new family rides, the largest Starbucks store in the Tri-State, and other improvements are all part of Kings Island’s plan for next summer.

The first of the new rides is Woodstock Gliders, a classic flying scooters ride from Larson International. The ride features eight two-person planes that glide 28 feet above the ground. As the planes begin to rotate, they will fan out over a large area. Each plane has a stationary rear wing and a moveable front wing which allows the guest to control the flight and alter their ride experience from mild to wild.

Woodstock Gliders is similar to the Flying Eagles, a popular former Kings Island ride that entertained more than 12 million guests during its 32 years of operation from 1972 to 2004.

The second new ride is Snoopy’s Space Buggies from Zamperla, an attraction designed for children of all ages to enjoy with their parents or grandparents. Six four-seat vehicles will bounce up and down while rotating in a circle.

The new rides will be located next to each other in the 14-time, award-winning Planet Snoopy kids’ area of the park.

Starbucks will be relocated from its current location at the end of International Street to the opposite side near the front gate and expanded to 3,650 square feet, making it one of the largest Starbucks stores in the Midwest. The seating capacity of 219 will include a spacious outdoor patio that will offer a great view of the 600,000-gallon Royal Fountain and Eiffel Tower.

The International Street Fudge and Candy Shop will be renamed Sweet Spot and undergo an extensive interior and exterior redesign with new product offerings and the opportunity for guests to experience watching fudge and candy being made through large glass windows.

A new yogurt store, Yogurt Plus, will be located on International Street in the current Starbucks location, offering 18 different flavors and an endless combination of toppings including fresh cut fruits, candy, cereal, nuts, granola, and syrups.

Other International Street renovations include the Funnel Cake stand, which will allow guests to see the toppings that are available to top their fresh-fried funnel cake. Toppings will include warm blueberry and apple toppings, fresh strawberry glaze topping, and hand-scooped ice cream.

Other changes coming to the park, as well, as part of the 2015 plan include an expanded Coca-Cola Marketplace with a deeper selection of healthy food options, Coca-Cola Freestyle Café, and upgrades to the Picnic Grove area with a new entrance, improved landscaping around each of the pavilions and remodeled restroom facilities.

• Like 11

Nice, I must've read over the yogurt complex that will replace Starbuck's current location. I'm very excited about that. I have loved the way the fro-yo shops have evolved to have some really awesome flavors. (see SweetFrog and OrangeLeaf)

It'll be really nice to see some love on International Street.

• Like 8

I understand that people will always complain about everything amusement parks announce, but I just don't understand it. I've seen so much hate on social media about these additions.

Parks can't just add major roller coasters and thrill rides year after year. To ensure their continued success as an amusement park people are willing (and able to afford) to go to, there needs to be balance. Adding these 2 new family rides are a perfect way to follow up Banshee. I'm especially glad the park will finally get Flying Eagles again.

As a Starbucks fan, I'm very impressed with this new change. Even if you're not a Starbucks fan, I don't see what all the hate is about. There already was an existing Starbucks in the park, now it's just getting moved and revamped to one of, if not the best one in the entire Midwest. It will definitely add visual appeal to the front of the park with such a large and elegant structure as shown in the rendering.

I'm also happy with the other renovations and updates to some of the shops along International Street. For parks to continue to attract visitors and progress in today's society, sometimes major updates are critical. Look at Cedar Point this season with the refreshed Gemini Midway. Look at how far small improvements can go. They really do make a huge impact. Ouimet is continuing to do an amazing job at turning his parks into pleasant, updated, and family friendly places to make memories and have fun. I feel like the new additions and changes for 2015 are just what the park needs at this time.

• Like 14

These changes seem to be taking out the small conveniences that make people think how hot the day is, instead of what a great time they are having. The Funnel Cake stand goes through rushes, and gets backed up easily, it looks like they are trying to resolve this.

The line at that stand trails back across a walkway that makes getting through clunky.

The Starbuck's as it now discourages me from standing in line. I'm glad they are making more space, and hopefully, it won't be so dark. I've never tried Yogurt Plus, how is it?

I'm really excited to return next year.

• Like 6

Thanks for posting that vid. Looks like the kids are having a blast on that ride.

I rode the one at Kentucky Kingdom with my daughter and we both loved it. The one there has the frog theme. It kind of reminded me of a mini version of Kennywood's Kangaroo. It works off the same principle. Its just smaller and has the ramp located in the center of the ride rather than directly under the ride vehicle.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting that vid. Looks like the kids are having a blast on that ride.

I rode the one at Kentucky Kingdom with my daughter and we both loved it. The one there has the frog theme. It kind of reminded me of a mini version of Kennywood's Kangaroo. It works off the same principle. Its just smaller and has the ramp located in the center of the ride rather than directly under the ride vehicle.

Oh, I know that ride! When I rode them, they were called "The Flying Scooters", and I had a heck of a time trying to describe why they were fun to a person who didn't know them. It doesn't sound like much on paper, but I always loved them.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the new Woodstock Gliders. WE have needed a new flat ride. Kind of glad it's in Planet Snoopy as well. Help keep their status as a great kids area and help keep lines shorter from people viewing it as a kids ride and staying away. Ive often walked onto Surf Dog or just had to wait one cycle, where i'll see Disk-o rides with longer lines at other parks when they're on a general midway.

• Like 6

Is there a better rendering of what the Snoopy's Space buggies will be like? I went to the KI web site and it gives a small pic that is an artists' rendering.

They will be like these.. but with, from the rendering, yellow cars that look somewhat space-like.

That is, hands down, the most awkward video I've ever seen. :)

• Like 8

Is there a better rendering of what the Snoopy's Space buggies will be like? I went to the KI web site and it gives a small pic that is an artists' rendering.

They will be like these.. but with, from the rendering, yellow cars that look somewhat space-like.

That is, hands down, the most awkward video I've ever seen. :)

I don't know what makes it awkward, the music, the fact that it looks like they set it up in the middle of a field or the fact that there is literally nothing but the ride carriage showing. Interesting.

• Like 10

yea, not sure who voted to install that ride... The music in the video was almost creepy.

As for 2015, someone may have mentioned this before, so sorry if it is a 2nd motion. I have a feeling the International Street is going to look significantly different come April. Was thinking about it and came up with, "why re-theme a large building in the entryway and place it as an odd-ball amongst the others?" Look around what CF has been doing with the entrance to other parks:

- Gate Keeper at CP

- the new entry plaza for Carowinds (almost "Universal'ish")-

- and memory may fail me here, but weren't there improvements at Canada's Wonderland?

I have a feeling that the Starbucks building may only be what they are stating publicly (in addition to the Yogurt shop). Perhaps International Street (or whatever it will come to be known as) will be more than just a place to get food or drinks on your way in/out of park.

This will be interesting. But, yea- seriously, Space Buggies.... don't.... looks like a bad carnival ride.

• Like 2