Dining Plan Review Please

FreesiaE

Thank you for your welcome! I have not been to KI in years (well, it was PKI at the time if that tells you anything), but my girl will be close to seven y.o. next summer, and therefore old enough to tolerate the drive. I live in Lex, KY, and so I will probably bring she and myself during weekdays some, and bring the hubs and the baby (will be 2) with us on some weekends. I am anticipating we should go 8 times over the summer for myself and my daughter. I can see the husband and the baby maybe 4-5. I think we would would probably come at opening time and leave by 3. I see the meal plan this year has a 4 hour wait between, not 2, which may be a deal breaker. I could not resist the Gold Plan prices!

• Like 1

I had a 1-1.5 year old this summer. He will be 2 next summer. You will have a blast with your lil one. Welcome to KIC.

We would often share meals every time we would go. No one ever said anything. Some of the best things to split were either chicken finger meals or the pizza deal. Chicken finger meals gave us fries and one place have toast. At LaRosas they give you two pieces of pizza and two breadsticks. Perfect to share. Again my son is under two currently so one piece was fine and some days a few bites would suffice.

We went to the park about 10-15 times this summer. It was a great addition as it made economical sense and we didn't have to leave the park (with a stroller, car seat, and toddler leaving the park is permanent.).

• Like 2

Can anyone who used the dining plan for 2014 give me your thoughts on it? Were the choices sufficient? If you had an under 3yo, did they care if you shared? Did you find it to be economical and useful, or is it best to just go a la carte? Thank you!

I figured out that if you eat at least six meals over the course of the season that you break even. Most of the meals are around $14 normally but that might be with a drink (not sure). I definitely received my monies worth, but I live very close to KI and sometimes would go up to KI just to eat a meal and go on a ride or two. It was a great savings for me and was so glad to see them offer it again next season. I might have only ate two meals in the same day once so the new 4 hour wait really won't effect me too much.

I thought it was very worthwhile, for a few reasons. First, the economical fact that it didn't take that many meals to make the price worthwhile. Now, that said, we don't know how food prices will be next year. They could go up, they could go down, they could stay where they are. Assuming that prices stay where they are, you should have no trouble making it worthwhile if you visit 8 times. There is also the convenience factor. You can leave home knowing that you can eat when you get to the park, and knowing exactly what it will cost you (nothing!) to do so. You don't lose a bunch of time leaving, going somewhere, coming back, finding a new parking spot, etc. It also gives you the freedom to sample the different food options with little risk. Get something to eat and don't like it? No harm done, next time you'll know not to get that. For Platinum Passholders who plan to visit multiple parks, it's even more of a no-brainer, as it eliminates one expense from the trip and makes it a little more economical to visit other parks. I plan to visit Kings Island, Cedar Point, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, and maybe even Michigan's Adventure next year, and it's nice to know that I won't have to worry about spending money on food when I go.

For those of us who live or work very close to the park, it's REALLY a no-brainer. There were many days in which I would visit the park after work, grab pizza at the International Street LaRosa's, and just sit and enjoy my food by the fountains. Many of these trips, I didn't ride a single thing. It was great, and it really did save me money in the long run.

Your results may vary, of course, but I think with 8 visits, it'll be worth it. Just be aware that on the season-long dining plan, (unless policies change) your meal will not include a soft drink, and if you want one, expect to pay around $4 for it if you do not have a souvenir cup. Before Banshee and before they stopped allowing you to leave them in the station on Firehawk, I would have also said the souvenir cup was a no-brainer. Now, I'm not so sure. I collect them, so I'll be getting one for that reason alone, but I think the only time I had mine in the park this year was the day I bought it. Water is, of course, available for free at any food stand, so if you do not want a soft drink, free water is always a great option.

• Like 3

I had the season dining plan this year and will for next year. My sister and her kids did not and don't plan on it for next year. I think it depends on how often you will go. For me, there were many trips with them, but also quite a few solo trips and a few with friends.

I'm frugal but for me the plan made financial sense. I can't spend all day in a park and not eat -I get sick if I ride on an empty stomach. Even eating one meal each visit, I saved money compared to what it would have cost to buy the meals. There was also a big convenience factor that I really could walk in with my liscense and pass and be set for a short visit. I didn't have to pack food, leave the parking lot, or pay $13+ for a meal. I often would get lunch there and then grab food on my way out of the park.

When I had one or two of the kids, I would buy them the kid meal at Hanks's or Chicken Shack. That was enough food for them for less than $9, especially with me sharing fries or chips.

For drinks, the park has two (that I've seen, but will be getting more) of the water bottle filler fountains. Bringing an empty water bottle to fill would be a healthier alternative - as I remind my niece and nephews with the response of eye rolls.

One splurge was the popcorn/cotton candy bucket. For less than $8 (I think $7.99?) we got a bucket pull of popcorn and then could refill it throughout the season for $0.99. It was a brilliant way to solve the snack issue and make the visit a bit more special for the kids.

The meal plan was a good value for me...even with me not being super close to the park. I'm glad Cedar Fair has continued it for next year and offered the Platinum option. I hope that helps!

• Like 2

I failed to mention that I did have a souvenir bottle. It would come in handy when I was "jonesing" for a Coke. Most times I had the counter fill it with ice and water.

I will miss the two hour turnaround time. As occasionally I would use it when I first walked it (around 11) then again when I was leaving between 1-3.

I do wish it would allow for Chic-fil-A and subway or a snack issued side but other than that I think my price per meal was under $6/$7. Cheaper than packing up and driving to McDonalds and back.

• Like 1

It always amazes me how folks, under the premise of "anonymous" of social media, will willingly share how they "steal" from somewhere (in this instance the park by sharing of food when they have said that is not allowed under the food plan), and then complain when such perk disappears or becomes more stringent/restrictive! Let's face it, in social media, if they wanted to find your identity, there are methods to make that happen. If the "stealing" is significant, you better bet they will seek the identity.

Ask the member of this formed that found a "loophole" in FUNperks and posted such loophole what happened to him. Abusing that loophole would have still occurred had it not been posted.

The park appreciates you posting such "loopholes" as it allows them to close up said loopholes, either by eliminating the program, making it more restrictive, or making it more expensive to counter the stealing. Wouldn't surprise me if the original poster of this thread is actually an employee of Cedar Fair tasked to find out the abuse of the program, and even if they are not, the park appreciates hearing about how their system is abused so that they can take corrective action. No doubt the time requirement increase from 2 hours to 4 hours between meals is a result of stuff posted here over the summer.

Nope, just a normal person, not an employee. I am not looking for a "loophole", but am unsure of the meal deal policy for those too young for a ticket.

I don't think the intention was to accuse you of anything.

The truth is, if I purchased a meal from the Chicken Shack and shared it with my friend, that's fine. If I prepaid for it (as you essentially are doing with the meal plan) you are still purchasing it, but in a different way. Can you share it then? The right or wrong of doing so is debatable. It was a question that has to be asked. The answer from the park was no.

The four hour gap was probably associated with the fact that it's hard to enforce the no sharing thing. Putting a larger time gap between meals makes it less likely to be done.

• Like 2

Nope, just a normal person, not an employee. I am not looking for a "loophole", but am unsure of the meal deal policy for those too young for a ticket.

I don't think the intention was to accuse you of anything.

The truth is, if I purchased a meal from the Chicken Shack and shared it with my friend, that's fine. If I prepaid for it (as you essentially are doing with the meal plan) you are still purchasing it, but in a different way. Can you share it then? The right or wrong of doing so is debatable. It was a question that has to be asked. The answer from the park was no.

The four hour gap was probably associated with the fact that it's hard to enforce the no sharing thing. Putting a larger time gap between meals makes it less likely to be done.

Thanks BoddaH1994 - my intention was not to accuse the original poster of anything (well except other than maybe being an employee looking for abuse) :)

And I know you were not looking for the "loophole" - you simply wanted to know about someone under 3 years old - and you ended up getting responses about adults sharing the meal plan, which wasn't your original question. Wait long enough, and someone will post the loopholes to Fast Lane in this thread!

Adults sharing the meal plan had been discussed on the forum previously and I think even Don posted on the subject, which makes it surprising that some that posted they shared a meal plan among adults that were members of this forum at that time are just mind-numbing. If you do it, don't publicize about it! Seems like a no-brainer, but how many times do robbers get busted because they posted about it in social media?!

The way I see it, almost every restaurant will not charge for a child that small that obviously a couple bites from the parents meal will suffice, so why would KI be any different, especially since under that age they get in free anyway. Talking about adults sharing a meal, I have been to places before where if you share a meal, you will be charged a "plate fee", albeit less than two meals, but still a charge.

• Like 2

My niece and nephews version of sharing? Grabbing a chip or a fry (or two). Yes, that can be defined as sharing. I'm sorry; I'm not going to reprimand them for something they do all the time at home with their mom. (I have to pick my battles wisely as an aunt.) I think it would be a different situation if I was getting my meal plan meal and then letting them devour it while I watch.

My sister was looking at the meal plan. With the way that she and the two youngest eat, they can share a meal and be full. She asked me if she could just get her and the oldest a meal plan and then share with the youngest two. When I told her sharing isn't allowed, she was disappointed and decided to not buy any meal plans. For next season, she'll continue packing a lunch, I'll grab my meal, and we'll head out to the car to eat together. It's a bit inconvenient but in the end, it's not that big of a deal.

Any meal plan option won't be perfect for everyone. It works okay for me. For some families and children, it doesn't work with their eating habits. Maybe having a kids meal plan option for the under 48", where they can only get the kids meal could be a good solution.

• Like 3

At first I Thought disco was calling me out because I "shared" my meal plan with my son. Then he said it was people sharing it with adults.

I respect the park and totally get the no sharing of the meal plan. But when it comes to a 1-2 year old who gets full after 3 chicken nuggets or 1 chicken finger, I don't think that's the problem. I either eat it or throw it away.

Looking back over my original post, when I spoke of sharing it was with my infant.

• Like 2