2014-2015 Off Season Week I: Best Credit in 2014

BB1

Welcome back to the Off Season KIC! A time of year where we get to sit on our lap tops when we get home, watch POVs of some of our favorite attractions and post on KIC from time to time. If you are new to KIC, welcome! This is the Off Season poll series that lasts all the way up to Opening Day! So feel free to discuss your views and vote frequently! Also, a new function this year, if you have a poll that you want me to post, just PM me and I will make sure to post it as soon as possible!

Week I: Best Credit in 2014

With 2014's seasonal operation coming to a close at Kings Island, most of us are now stuck in the Twilight Zone that we call The Off Season. Sadly, we will not be gaining any new credits :( . But we can cherish what credits we did get, and reflect on what credits we loved the most. It could be a coaster, slide, flat, water ride, or Haunt credit. So, what was your best credit in 2014?

• Like 2

Well, I only track my coasters. I rode a lot of new flats, too, but I don't track those. Favorite, however, is easily either Sledge Hammer at Canada's Wonderland or Rattler at Camden park. Maybe Lake Erie Eagles, but I'd ridden Larson Flying Scooters before, so I can't justify that as legitimately counting as a "new" credit in the same sense. Now then, first, I will list my new credits of 2014, in the order they were acquired. I'm going to use the spoiler tag to prevent this post from being enormous.

Banshee (Kings Island)

Sea Dragon (Jungle Jack's Landing)

Ride of Steel (Darien Lake)
Predator (Darien Lake)
Boomerang (Darien Lake)
Viper (Darien Lake)
Moto Coaster (Darien Lake)
Mind Eraser (Darien Lake)

Wild Beast (Canada's Wonderland)
Vortex (Canada's Wonderland)
Time Warp (Canada's Wonderland)
Thunder Run (Canada's Wonderland)
SkyRider (Canada's Wonderland)
Silver Streak (Canada's Wonderland)
Mighty Canadian Minebuster (Canada's Wonderland)
Leviathan (Canada's Wonderland)
Ghoster Coaster (Canada's Wonderland)
The Fly (Canada's Wonderland)
Flight Deck (Canada's Wonderland)
Dragon Fire (Canada's Wonderland)
Behemoth (Canada's Wonderland)
Bat (Canada's Wonderland)
Backlot Stunt Coaster (Canada's Wonderland)
Lightning Run (Kentucky Kingdom)
Roller Skater (Kentucky Kingdom)
Thunder Run (Kentucky Kingdom)
Lil' Dipper (Camden Park)
Big Dipper (Camden Park)
Lil' Phantom (Kennywood)
Great Pumpkin Coaster (Kings Island)
Goliath (Six Flags Great America)
Batman: The Ride (Six Flags Great America)
The Dark Knight Coaster (Six Flags Great America)
Superman - Ultimate Flight (Six Flags Great America)
Raging Bull (Six Flags Great America)
American Eagle - Blue Side (Six Flags Great America)
Demon (Six Flags Great America)
Viper (Six Flags Great America)
Whizzer (Six Flags Great America)
X-Flight (Six Flags Great America)
Vertical Velocity (Six Flags Great America)

As for favorites, probably Lightning and Thunder Run at KK (In that order), then Goliath, then Banshee. And all the way at the very, very bottom of the list, below even the Great Pumpkin Coaster, is Flight Deck at Canada's Wonderland. If I never ride that infernal contraption again, it'll be too soon.

I think the highlights of 2014 for me were Banshee Media Day, my three visits to Kentucky Kingdom, my impromptu trip to SFGAm, and my trip with TDE to Cedar Point (during which I discovered Cheese on a stick, and my life will never be the same again...). To quote Brad Paisley, "As great as it is, you know what's a bummer? I ain't ever gonna beat this summer"

• Like 4

I can't choose between Verbolten and Curse of DarKastle. My first visit to Busch Gardens Williamsburg forever changed my perception and expectations of so much in the industry. It's an absolutely amazing place.

Honorable mention goes to Banshee (and Cirque Imagine, if I can toss that in, too) for strongly changing my opinion and expectations of Cedar Fair. The future is indeed bright.

Also, I have to give a shout-out to Timber Wolf at Worlds of Fun for being the first-ever Dinn that I can truthfully say I enjoyed from start to finish. What a great ride!

• Like 7

Sorry, Kings Island, but in terms of coaster credits, Lightning Run just slightly beats Banshee for me. The airtime on that machine is, among all of the coasters I've ridden, second only to The Voyage, and it manages excellent and powerful ejector airtime without inducing pain and despite rules that literally require you to be stapled. I wish I had had time that day to ride it more than once, or room in my schedule to go back, but unfortunately I did not, and will have to hope that the Hartland survives for another year.

But overall best "credit"? Also found at the Hartland in the form of Deep Water Dive. Rare is the ride that is well worth climbing twelve stories of stairs, but feeling that floor drop out from under me and then plummeting down 120 feet was worth every single step. That was the most fun I've had on a thrill ride in a few years.

• Like 7

My oldest nephew's Banshee credit. The poor kid spent all of last season not being able to ride anything other than the flats, and Woodstock Express thanks to newly diagnosed seizures. After a "take it slow" order for most of this season and some positive follow-ups, he was finally able to ride Banshee in October. He was ecstatic and couldn't stop gushing and smiling. That was a great experience. Another off season being seizure free and he can add more credits when I take him to CP.

My credits? Ehh. Cool. What is my number?!

Experiencing these rides with my niece and nephews, for their first time? Unspeakable joy.

• Like 9

I would have to say my favorite new credit was Banshee. It was truly perfect addition to the park in just about every way possible.

My favorite overall credit from this season had to be my ride in the backseat of The Voyage at Holiday World. I love everything about that ride, and the back seat is a beast of an experience. Plus it was the first time my lady-friend had been to Holiday World, so that whole day was pretty awesome.

Is it April yet?

• Like 4

I think I enjoyed finally conquering Xtreme Skyflyer over Banshee. Banshee is one of my favorite rides, but its, at the very least, similar to other rides I've done before. I knew a little bit of what to expect.

With Skyflyer, it was radically different than what I'm used to in drop rides. I feel significantly safer on rides like Drop Tower since there are fail safes in place, like a giant magnet at the bottom should it fall early plus you have the restraints. Skyflyer is just so open and all you have on is that vest. That's a reason I really enjoy riding water slides, you have nothing to ride in and secure yourself to. All Skyflyer has is that harness and the really long chord on which you swing from.

• Like 5

I too had my first ride on Skyflyer.. Just yesterday, actually since the prices were at the lowest for the majority of the day.

That too is my most memorable, I've always wanted to try it out. It's just a really fun way to drop, having to pull the cord and whatnot.

In second place is riding the Lake Erie Eagles because I don't have any actual memories of riding Kings Island's back in the day, though I'm sure I rode them.

• Like 3

My best personal credit was Banshee. Overall, my best credit and favorite memory is probably SR&R with my family near the beginning of the season before it went down.

After my first couple visits 2014 was a very down year for me at Kings Island between a very heavy work load, an incident at the park mid season*, and other factors.

I did bring my daughter this fall for a final round of rides and made her day so it did end on a decidedly positive note.

* I won't elaborate in this thread. If you're curious search my posts, I've been much less active recently and it should be easy to find.

• Like 3

Until recently, I never even considered credits. I just rode coasters, because I like to ride coasters. This season, in many ways changed that. I found myself on a few amazing trips I wouldn't have even considered. This site is largely responsible. Thanks to this site, I've encountered some truly amazing people, some I'm sure are life long friends.

I (we) made trips to, Cedar Point, Michigans Adventure, Indiana Beach, Six Flags Great Adventure(NJFTP), Dorney Park, Kings Dominion, and of course our Kings Island.

• Like 6

My best "credit" of 2014 would by far have to be the world's longest inverted coaster.

Banshee is an outstanding roller coaster and completely went above my expectations.

I'll have to say that the order of elements, size of elements, theming, thought, and idea of Banshee are all very unique and what makes it stand out from all other inverted coasters. The Bat was a great compliment to Banshee considering its close proximity to the ride, and was far in need of some kind of update anyway.

Banshee has helped Kings Island in many ways and for that, I'm grateful for the things Cedar Fair is doing and has done......The FUN has just started.

• Like 2

^When you were at Dollywood did you ride the new coaster? (Can't think of the name right now)

Yes! I got to ride Firechaser Express! I did enjoy it, but I still couldn't get over the whole less-than-thrilling family-friendly aspect of it. It's a fine ride. I highly recommend it. It just wasn't a highlight of my summer. Note: This was my first time going down to see Dolly, so all of the rides there were new to me.

I love Mystery Mine; glad you enjoyed it! Did you get a chance to ride any Tennessee Tornado or Thunderhead?

Most certainly! I have to admit, I was weary about riding Tennessee Tornado. This season I had to retire from riding The Vortex because it seems to agitate my neck in a way that other rides don't. This is a new thing. I guess I'm just getting old. haha But I had no issue like that on Tornado. Great little ride.

Thunderhead was really cool too. Thank God for those Millennium Flyer Trains, though. The whole time I rode it (actually rode it 3 or 4 times) I kept thinking about how dreadful the ride would have been with PTCs. Not the greatest woody on Earth, but definitely worth the recognition that it gets.

I know that a lot of people feel a lot of different ways about Mystery Mine - and I can see where some of you are coming from with them. To me, the ride itself was just incredibly thrilling. The sudden vertical drops really did get to me at points. I guess with my height (6'1) I didn't really feel the roughness or headbanging like others have. I found the ride to be very comfortable. Plus, the fire wasn't even working when I rode it, so when I go back in a few weeks for Christmas, hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll get to check out the full experience.

• Like 5

This season I had to retire from riding The Vortex because it seems to agitate my neck in a way that other rides don't. This is a new thing. I guess I'm just getting old. haha

I thought my days of riding roller coasters over and over again were done years ago. I'm so thankful for the new rides like Banshee and Diamondback. I rode both of those all day long a couple weeks ago with no pain (I'm 41)...just got up the next morning and went to work without feeling a thing.

• Like 3