Winterfest Wishes and Ideas- A Way to Bring It Back

Skyrider

And The Beach is a highly profitable operation making money hand over fist. Oh, wait.

Please do not indirectly, or directly assume to have any relevant knowledge of the finances of The Beach Waterpark. Your sarcastic comment is not only pure conjecture, it is simply disrespectful.

He didn't make any references to the finances of The Beach. Simply that their winter event didn't work in the end. If you need a refresher, please see the article below:

http://www.whio.com//news/news/local/beach-waterpark-cancels-winter-event/nFJWK/

• Like 1

Hey, as popular as the Spirit concerts are, they could add a special concert series at KI during a new version of Wintersfest. That would pack the park for sure. Maybe even a symphony series in Fest House. I'd like to see a North Pole maze to Santa's house. Roving characters like gingerbread boys and girls, snowmen, and ornaments. How about a live holiday version of Charlie Brown's Christmas.

• Like 4

Hey, as popular as the Spirit concerts are, they could add a special concert series at KI during a new version of Wintersfest. That would pack the park for sure. Maybe even a symphony series in Fest House. I'd like to see a North Pole maze to Santa's house. Roving characters like gingerbread boys and girls, snowmen, and ornaments. How about a live holiday version of Charlie Brown's Christmas.

I really like this idea of a live production of Charlie Brown's Christmas; that would be really cool. I was too young (and in some years, not even alive) to experience KI's first Winterfest and I didn't go to the 2005 revival of the event, but I do think another Winterfest revival could be an interesting idea. To reference MagentaLizard's post, I was thinking the "something special" could be a holiday Cirque-esque performance. I mean, we have Skeleton Crew for Haunt, right? Why not have a winter Cirque show. I'm sure that would draw people to the event. Also, Flight of Fear could be open and maybe be themed as a sleigh ride or something. Just some thoughts...

• Like 4

I could see black light cut outs like Rockin Rollercoaster depicting holiday scenes through out the ride. Something like cartoon people jumping out of the way or flying up a chimney or maybe cork screwing through piles of wrapped gifts. Maybe string lights throughout the structure...safely of course. Temporarily name the ride "Holiday Rush."

Heck the inside of the building is kind of like a snow globe shape if you think about it.

• Like 1

I attended both the original incarnation of Winterfest and the revival of Winterfest. Although I have good memories of the events (it was always thrilling to see KI decked out for the holidays) I can tell you I don't miss it.

Frankly, as others have said, the weather was the biggest issue. Each time I went it was either bitter.... no, EXTREMELY bitter cold... or unseasonably warm. When it was bitter cold, guests were miserable the entire time trying desperately to keep blood flowing. When it was unseasonably warm, it compromised skating and the overall holiday feel. It seemed there was no happy medium, and because of that the park couldn't regulate attendance to the event.

I have always said that the coldest I've ever been in my life was at Winterfest riding the train. It was like sitting on a block of ice with -10 degree wind being blown at you. It was horrible!

In addition, I always felt there was not enough to hold my attention. It was a 2-3 hour visit max, provided crowds weren't bad. But if they were bad.... lookout!

It's my opinion that although I wish others could experience it, I don't think it's a worthwhile venture for the park.

Shaggy

• Like 3

I think if, IF we were to get a WinterFest, we would see it in 2015. The reason would be for The Beach to have a run with it, see how they go with it, then if it is a success, it would probably be greater at Kings Island. Secondly, the addition of the Flyers are a key attraction for the new WinterFest. The Flyers would be very nostalgic and as well the Starbucks would rake in the Bucks too. It would be the PERFECT year to do so, after a couple of years of owning KI. We already have lights at the I-Street, and lights could easily be put up in the time used to take down the Haunt props.

Also, The Beach Waterpark, are you the real deal or an enthusiast? I agree that you could be put as the real deal and your posts are far but official to say the least, so clarification would be loved.

• Like 1

I attended both the original incarnation of Winterfest and the revival of Winterfest. Although I have good memories of the events (it was always thrilling to see KI decked out for the holidays) I can tell you I don't miss it.

Frankly, as others have said, the weather was the biggest issue. Each time I went it was either bitter.... no, EXTREMELY bitter cold... or unseasonably warm. When it was bitter cold, guests were miserable the entire time trying desperately to keep blood flowing. When it was unseasonably warm, it compromised skating and the overall holiday feel. It seemed there was no happy medium, and because of that the park couldn't regulate attendance to the event.

I have always said that the coldest I've ever been in my life was at Winterfest riding the train. It was like sitting on a block of ice with -10 degree wind being blown at you. It was horrible!

In addition, I always felt there was not enough to hold my attention. It was a 2-3 hour visit max, provided crowds weren't bad. But if they were bad.... lookout!

It's my opinion that although I wish others could experience it, I don't think it's a worthwhile venture for the park.

Shaggy

Yes...and everyone who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart....right? LOL ;)

• Like 1

Shaggy

YEa the weather would be rough to manage, especially with the artic chills we got last year. But every winter event has to deal with that that are outside. Like the zoos and stuff. As for only being a 2-3 our thing I feel man of the events for Christmas are about that long.

I think they could definteily do a bit though. I'm not sure about Flight of Fear being open but keep International Street to Rivertown open. Have a live musical show I the Paramount Theatre, I do like the dinner theatre idea for Festhaus (with traditional holiday food), strolling carolers, roasted nut and hot chocolate carts, ice skating, have some rides open like the train, carousel and a holiday overlay of Boo Blasters, lastly have a petting zoo area with reindeer and such.

This would keep the cost for the park lower as it's not over the top and only has about a third of the park open to worry about keeping clear and such. Could add some heaters around to help on the cold days. I don't think everything should be an upcharge. MAybe charge a small skate rental fee and charge for food and gifts but everything else should be included, no individual show tickets and such

I don't think they will ever bring back Winterfest. That was Paramount's idea anyway.

Uh, no, the original Winterfest started well before Paramount took over, and ended at about the same time Paramount bought the park. CBS (not Paramount) brought it back for a single year to showcase the park for sale.

• Like 2

Just off the top of my head on what I think Kings Island could do with a Winterfest:

- Obviously we have the different buildings on International Street that can stay open with selling what they sell

- We have Boo Blasters which can stay open, that is unless they decide to do maintenance on it (which I would totally be ok with lol), doubt it would be very easy to add a holiday theme to it though with the exception of a few Santa hats on the characters here and there.

- I've never been in a Haunt maze so I'm not sure about this, but how hard would it be to change the theming of just one of them to be an area dedicated to getting your picture taken with Santa?

- Obviously no rollercoasters would be open for this, you would have to be insane to get on that, plus Kings Island would be in the middle of winter maintenance and that would take a huge chunk of time away from that

- I do think though that the two carousels could stay open, or just one if maintenance required it, and they could play Christmas music while it goes

- The Kings Island & Miami Valley railroad could also continue operation, they could slow the train down some to counter the wind chill factor, the Cincinnati Zoo runs their train through Festival of Lights and it never really bothered me much to be on it in the middle of winter

- There would be the obvious ice skating on International Street, weather permitting

- Kings Island could also run a few firepits throughout the park, and before everyone starts yelling "OMG lawsuits, people are dumb, etc.", this is something that is done at the Cincinnati Zoo during Festival of Lights and various farm events for Halloween and I have never seen any incidents. And this would also be a nice opportunity to sell s'mores.

- They could also add a nice light show onto the Eiffel Tower or maybe even do it throughout the Action Zone area since none of those rides would be operating at the time anyways

- And of course on top of a light show would just be having general holiday decorations throughout the park

All those attractions put together would be worth between $15-$20 in my opinion, now if they sold tickets for $20 per person, would they be able to bring in enough people to make a profit, hard saying, but like most have said and the park has made pretty clear, it's very unlikely we will ever see a Winterfest at Kings Island again. But the optimist side of me see's a great opportunity for a wonderful night of entertainment with family and hope to see it soon. :)

• Like 2

- Kings Island could also run a few firepits throughout the park, and before everyone starts yelling "OMG lawsuits, people are dumb, etc.", this is something that is done at the Cincinnati Zoo during Festival of Lights and various farm events for Halloween and I have never seen any incidents. And this would also be a nice opportunity to sell s'mores.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! :P

Seriously, I have not had a proper s'more since I was in Cub Scouts. I've been camping a few times since then, but only by myself at Lake Rudolph next door to Holiday World, and I don't trust myself with a campfire, so I haven't had an opportunity to properly roast a marshmallow over an open fire and assemble a real s'more since childhood. I've eaten a few store-bought imitations that were decent, but they can't hold a candle to the real thing.

• Like 1

Kings Island could also run a few firepits throughout the park, and before everyone starts yelling "OMG lawsuits, people are dumb, etc.", this is something that is done at the Cincinnati Zoo during Festival of Lights and various farm events for Halloween and I have never seen any incidents. And this would also be a nice opportunity to sell s'mores.

Open fires throughout an amusement park? Please, no.

• Like 3

It seems to work fine for Festival of Lights, and the target demographic is going to be same for a Winterfest event as it is Festival of Lights, not the same demographics you see during summer operating hours. Now if you had an open flame with them around, yes that would be stupid.

Festival of Lights is not set in an amusement park. I truly wonder if open fire burning would even be legally possible. I seem to remember no open fires were permitted in the campground, and that was years ago.

In Atlanta, trains were converted from steam to diesel for air pollution reasons. One park no longer has a turnpike ride for similar reasons.

Then there is the health issue some would raise....

• Like 1

In regards to Terp's post, look up I See Fire by Ed Sheeran and look at the Flight of Fear photos.

But I cannot discredit alot of what dtk said as I could see alot of that happening. Now of course the Haunts I believe are stationary, an alternate spot could be arranged I would believe if applicable. This would permit us to see Santa or Snoopy (Santa-Snoopy?!) in one location, cookies in another, etc. The S'mores.......yeah you need to get those passed.

• Like 1

I think a holiday version of Charlie Brown's Christmas would be an excellent idea for the dinner theatre in the Festhaus. I still like the idea of inviting high school and church choirs to perform in the regular indoor theatre when you first enter the park. This could be offered earlier in the afternoon to attract large crowds to the park ($$$) wanting to see their choir group perform. Maybe local guy Nick Lachey could be the host like he has been on the television show, I think it was called Clash of the Choirs. Remember we were a host city recently for the Choir Games which was an international event for choirs and was so popular they want to bring it back to Cincinnati. Cirque Imagine then could have a few night shows in the same theatre possibly. It would be neat if the La Rosas on International Street could move above the main entrance to the restaurant that use to be open when I was a kid. They could offer some other dishes besides pizza like spaghetti dinners and it would offer a great view of the lights on International Street. Having Winterfest open in limited areas of the park with a good balance of indoor and outdoor activities, while attracting large groups to come to the park should make it a very profitable event for the park. Plus the new larger Starbucks is an added bonus that would make big amounts of $$$ on winter days and evenings. :)

• Like 4

In regards to Terp's post, look up I See Fire by Ed Sheeran and look at the Flight of Fear photos.

But I cannot discredit alot of what dtk said as I could see alot of that happening. Now of course the Haunts I believe are stationary, an alternate spot could be arranged I would believe if applicable. This would permit us to see Santa or Snoopy (Santa-Snoopy?!) in one location, cookies in another, etc. The S'mores.......yeah you need to get those passed.

I have seen ED SHEERAN in concert three times and he is an awesome performer/artist. If you ever have a chance to see him in concert I wouldn't pass on it as you will love it. SING! :o

• Like 1

I think a holiday version of Charlie Brown's Christmas would be an excellent idea for the dinner theatre in the Festhaus. I still like the idea of inviting high school and church choirs to perform in the regular indoor theatre when you first enter the park. This could be offered earlier in the afternoon to attract large crowds to the park ($$$) wanting to see their choir group perform. Maybe local guy Nick Lachey could be the host like he has been on the television show, I think it was called Clash of the Choirs. Remember we were a host city recently for the Choir Games which was an international event for choirs and was so popular they want to bring it back to Cincinnati. Cirque Imagine then could have a few night shows in the same theatre possibly. It would be neat if the La Rosas on International Street could move above the main entrance to the restaurant that use to be open when I was a kid. They could offer some other dishes besides pizza like spaghetti dinners and it would offer a great view of the lights on International Street. Having Winterfest open in limited areas of the park with a good balance of indoor and outdoor activities, while attracting large groups to come to the park should make it a very profitable event for the park. Plus the new larger Starbucks is an added bonus that would make big amounts of $$$ on winter days and evenings. :)

Now that you mention it, why not have a nightly sing along Holiday Cantata or a living Christmas Tree with projected lyrics on a screen. People really dig this stuff, I know...

What about lighting up Tower Gardens (of course that would take cleanup prior to use)

• Like 2

Now that you mention it, why not have a nightly sing along Holiday Cantata or a living Christmas Tree with projected lyrics on a screen. People really dig this stuff, I know...

What about lighting up Tower Gardens (of course that would take cleanup prior to use.

Tower Gardens would be a great place to decorate with lights and add talking reindeers and build a home to see Santa and Mrs. Claus to keep the Planet Snoopy closed. Limiting the area to focus around International Street would keep the cost of having the entire park open.

• Like 3