Whats the difference between the Outer Limits Flight of Fear and the Flight of Fear Today?

kingsislandfan1972

When it opened, it had really uncomfortable overhead restraints instead of the lap bars, which weren't put in place until 2001. It also opened with 6 car trains, but later dropped to 5 cars.

And what do you mean by ours not being the original? Kings Island's and Kings Dominion's were the first LIM launch coasters ever, including the original for the layout.

• Like 5

I looked into it and the original Outer Limits Flight of Fear wasnt at Kings Island, until it was changed into the Flight of Fear.

Huh? :blink:

Where did you "look into it" to find this misinformation? As silver2005 stated, in 1996 two coasters opened, one at Kings Island and one at Kings Dominion, both named The Outer Limits: Flight of Fear. Both were the first coasters to be named as such, and both were the first coasters to use the LIM launches. In 2001 the names were changed to just Flight of Fear and the painful OTSR's were replaced with the much better lab bars.

In the future may I suggest RCDB.com, a very good source for accurate information on coasters around the world, including Flight of Fear: http://rcdb.com/66.htm

EDIT: Saw your new post, that explains our confusion!

• Like 1

Once again, I didnt mean to type that, all I wanted to know what the difference was when they changed the name. Im not the best at wording things. I ment when I looked into I found out that it was originally called Outer Limits Flight of Fear, because it was a long time ago and I didnt remember.

• Like 2

I have only ridden it once in the last 6-8 years mostly due to the line always being way too long, but I used to ride it a lot when I was younger (and could handle long lines much better). The theming doesn't seem like it has gone away too much from what it previously was, I've never seen Outer Limits so I'm not sure how much of their theming was actually based off of it, but as far as I can tell it's the same ride minus the last car and pictures.

The only change in the theming was in the queue video. There was a mention of the words Outer Limits at the end of the video before the UFO warped away. It was edited out when the Outer Limits portion was dropped from the name.

Do they even still play the video at all? Last time I rode the coaster (yeah...first couple weeks of the 2014 season) the video wasn't even working.

Video still plays.

It has been formatted a bit different to fit on new HD displays but it is still practically the same. Don't recall when they dropped the bit about people being in the hanger and cutting away to a live view of a camera mounted inside.

Kings Islands Flight of Fear opened frist and then Kings Dominion's. The ride really has not changed much. The big room with UFO used to go dark and you heard a scream. I been on both the one at Kings Island has more effects working. I have also been on poltergeist and outdoor verson of the ride. It does not have the break in the middle of the ride.

I'll list the differences that I can remember (pretty much everyone has already stated them)

3 trains

Over head restraints

6 cars

Full theme queue with interactive lights & tvs playing the weird episode and from time to time showing a glimpse of people standing in line to go along with the weird episode.

OH almost forgot, you use to never get halted to almost a stop on the MCBR

They actually had 4 trains however only ran was with 3. U could see the 4th train was always on the transfer track before going into the unload station. 3 trains were actually converted to lap bars but they only run 2 at any givin time. The trains are rotated out every year. One train goes thru its rehab during the summer with the other 2 operating at the ride. Adventure Express works the same way.

• Like 6

I remember the Start Trekish Lieutenant Uhura voice announcement :

"Please secure loose articles.

Loose articles are not permitted.

You may hand articles to an attendant

but we are not responsible for them.

Keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times

and remain seated with your head against the headrest,

facing forwards throughout your journey.

Thank you."

edit: there were other announcements from an alien something like:

(if anyone knows the correct statement...please correct...)

"you offered to travel to the distant realm to experience freedom

so kindly remind us why you are the ones locked in your seats?"

plus others in rotation

• Like 4

My favorite is how, when unloading, the creepy overhead voice from the Outer Limits intro says:

"Thank you for participating in our experiment. We now know what happens when the human body is pushed to..."

And then ends.

Haha! Cracks me up every time.

It's also important to note that The Outer Limits references were removed for the 2001 season when the park was still Paramount's Kings Island. The removal of the Outer Limits name was not due to the sale to Cedar Fair, and in fact predated it by five years. That's probably a good thing. If Cedar Fair inherited it with branding, they probably would've freaked out and whitewashed it, removing way more than they needed to. Since Paramount did the editing for them, it was a smooth transition and very little seemed to change under Cedar Fair.

Even under Paramount, the change from The Outer Limits: Flight of Fear to Flight of Fear was about as consequential as the change from Drop Zone to Drop Tower. Not a whole lot changed besides the logo and safety spiel.

Originally, the queue line video was synced up to in-house lighting, so a power surge would drop the lights. Throughout the pre-show video, the lights in the hangar would adjust and change to match the mood of the video. Which makes sense - those theatrical lights can be thousands and thousands of dollars each, so when a park installs them, it's because they intend to use them. Part of that lighting / sound package also included a lot of detail on and around the UFO itself, including bass speakers that gave a nice undertone rumble to the whole hangar as if the ship was powered up. However, I can't say whether or not Kings Island disabled a lot of those theatrical elements and lighting shows during the switch to Flight of Fear (2001) or for Cedar Fair (2006).

At one point under Cedar Fair, the whole thing was in pretty bad shape, with no pre-show video, the houselights turned up, and almost none of the theatrical lights working. Two years ago, we were all surprised to suddenly find the hangar darkened with the theatrical lights and sounds back as if they'd simply decided mid-season to flip the switch and replace the bulbs. They also added lasers to the launch, which are disorienting and pretty cool. (Are those still around?) This season (?) the pre-show video was restored, and on brand new TVs. Pretty awesome. I was disappointed upon visiting this year to find the garage door into the spaghetti bowl open, flooding the room with sunlight. Why? Ah well. Everything else is great (including paging announcements out in the Press Holding box outside). Here's hoping they keep it up.

Last time I was at Kings Dominion (2 years ago or so?) their ship had all of the lights and sounds working. However, their hangar hosts a haunted house during the fall, and they keep it up all year. So their hangar has no switchbacks - just tall black wooden walls that force you around the perimeter and up onto the ship. It's pretty horrific. And every time I've been, theirs takes place in complete pitch black darkness. I much prefer our way of having disorienting red and purple spotlights angled randomly around the room because it shows off the close encounters and makes it nearly impossible to tell if you're right-side-up or upside-down for the first few seconds.

• Like 5

Flight of Fear is one of my favorites. Although being a Season Pass holder I don't have the patience to wait in a line longer than about 15 minutes... For that reason it has been about 4 years since my last ride.

Mentioned before, the OTS harnesses were AWFUL. Just an unpleasant experience and not worth the wait in any line to exit with a guaranteed headache.

• Like 8

I may be in the minority here but the OTSR on OLFOF were a lot better than the ones on Vortex. if I recall correctly the FOF ones were thick soft padding where the ones on Vortex are much "less soft".

Was there also a lap bar on OLFOF as well as the OTSR's?---That I can't remember.

Later,

Mark

My memory may not be the best but those OTS were not soft. With my height, I had a hard time not banging my head and ears on them. I remembering taking my earrings out but wow...it still hurt. There was much internal joy and relief (and less pain) when they made the switch to the lap bars.

• Like 3