Working at Kings Island

zacc1993

Hey everyone sorry if I posted this in the wrong area but I'm new here on the boards. My name is Zac (in case you missed my screenname ) and this past summer I worked up at Cedar Point. I was a ride host at Mine Ride. Since I was able to enter Kings Island for free with my employee ID I made the trek south 5 times (about 8hrs round trip). It was the first time I had been to Kings Island in about 7-8 years and I fell in love with the place.

So before I get off topic I wanted to ask everyone on here in hopes of getting an answer. Is it possible to work at Kings Island if you live far away? I'm from the northwest corner of Indiana wanted to see if it is possible to work at Kings Island next summer instead of a Cedar Point. I know they don't offer housing so I would need an apartment but I'm not sure how high rent is in the Mason/Kings Mills area.

Thank you everyone in advance!

• Like 5

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I guess another good question to ask would be what, if any, neighborhoods should I stay away from? Are there any bad ones you don't want to find yourself in?

There are quite a few places sadly actually...Mt Healthy ( where I am from originally) is one

Mt Washington has become a bad neighborhood, but move on out further into Anderson Township and things are better, more like strip mall paradise, but easily accessible to rt 275. Try Loveland and Montgomery too those are nicer areas, and closer to KI. Also Milford is a reasonable area as well.

When I was younger I lived in an apartment in Sharonville which is close to all the major highways-- 275 and 71 and seemed to have reasonably priced apartments. It is about a 15 minutes drive to Kings Island. Deerfield Township has many newer apartments and is very close to Kings Island but you will save 1% earning tax which Mason has. Mainville or Lebanon is also close to Kings Island and might have some options for you but I am not for sure.

As others have said, it depends how far you'd be willing to commute. The area immediately surrounding KI can be a bit pricey, as are most of the surrounding cities. To the east, you'd need to venture about as far as Milford to find something for a good price. To the west, there's West Chester, which is pricey in some areas, but not too bad in others. Neither of these are awful commutes, but you won't find anything affordable within walking distance like Cedar Point's employee housing would be.

• Like 1

At the furthest east on 275 that you would take.. I'd suggest Milford be the furthest you go. Eastgate would be nice, but it has some pretty bad traffic in the mornings. Eastgate would've been your maximum 30 minute trek.

West side, I've known people to make 30 minute drives from Hamilton or Colraine.

--

If you have any co-workers that are in the same boat as you, or that you could convince to work down here rather than at Cedar Point, that'd be a worthy attempt I'd say to help with rent.

• Like 3

Don't forget utilities!

Be aware that some landlords in Ohio use mandatory third party billing "services" for utilities. Such companies bill more than the utility rate, then split the difference with the landlord. In essence increasing your rent in a roundabout (and very inefficient) way.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

• Like 2

Try looking into Fairfield.

Fairfield to Kings Island is a pretty lengthy drive for a seasonal job. I wouldn't recommend it, honestly. I drive from Fairfield to Loveland every day (which is a slightly shorter distance even) and the commute has been irritating enough to prompt me to look for places to live that are closer. And that's for my full-time career. I personally could never justify that commute for a seasonal job. Of course, I'm not you, and if it's something you really want to do, Fairfield is a great place to live. It's where I've lived my whole life (besides the four years I spent in New Concord, Ohio, the happiest place on the planet) and I think I turned out pretty good.

Ultimately, what I think it comes down to is, are you looking to work at Kings Island for the income or for the experience? Because if it's the former, then it would be difficult for me to recommend over working at Cedar Point, where they have housing on-site for out of town employees. If it is the latter that makes you want to work at KI, though, my personal recommendation would be to see if you can get a couple other people interested so you can work down here together and split rent.

• Like 2

Oh, I'm not sure how the apartment situations are there, but Sharonville could be a nice place to live also. Quite close to the park, but not in Mason, has a very nice county park, Sharon Woods. Rock climbing, along with all the normal Greater-Cincinnati establishments, or close enough to them, and close to a neat go kart (expensive) indoor track in Springdale, if that's your thing..

Could consider there aswell.

• Like 2

Try looking into Fairfield.

Fairfield to Kings Island is a pretty lengthy drive for a seasonal job. I wouldn't recommend it, honestly. I drive from Fairfield to Loveland every day (which is a slightly shorter distance even) and the commute has been irritating enough to prompt me to look for places to live that are closer. And that's for my full-time career. I personally could never justify that commute for a seasonal job. Of course, I'm not you, and if it's something you really want to do, Fairfield is a great place to live. It's where I've lived my whole life (besides the four years I spent in New Concord, Ohio, the happiest place on the planet) and I think I turned out pretty good.

Ultimately, what I think it comes down to is, are you looking to work at Kings Island for the income or for the experience? Because if it's the former, then it would be difficult for me to recommend over working at Cedar Point, where they have housing on-site for out of town employees. If it is the latter that makes you want to work at KI, though, my personal recommendation would be to see if you can get a couple other people interested so you can work down here together and split rent.

I had no problem with it. Took less than a tank a week. A lot better than I'm doing now.
  • Like 1

I am trying to work there mainly for the experience and just make enough money to have a little leftover for when I'm not working. The main goal is just to be there and enjoy it

I work for Kings Island during Haunt on Saturdays. I have the past 4 years, and will be returning next year. I live in Columbus, Ohio. I took up working Snoopy's Halloween Party on top of working Haunt for extra hours and to help out on Saturdays and Sundays for 3 weekends in October, but stayed in a hotel near by.

• Like 2

Stay away from the neighborhoods surrounding UC as well (Clifton). If you go on the west side, stay out of Price Hill. Also avoid Norwood.

To be honest, I lived in Norwood for a time, and inadvertently influenced fashion there. They have college reasonable rent, but lo' the place is rundown. I didn't feel In danger, but this was 1987. I have no idea what it's like today.

My cousin lived there when he worked at KI, he had no trouble with the drive.

I used to drive from Blueball to work KI. It's literally a crossroad, but no great jazz musicians ever went there. It's about a thirty minute drive, and the crime rate is low, but that's because there's not a lot people. Even the trailer park disappeared.

Sharonville is a cute place, I don't know if it's still "upwardly mobile" or not. When I was there, you couldn't walk five feet without falling into a trendy bar dull of dames wearing their mother's best dresses.

• Like 1