Ryan's Commentary: What was the best era for The World's Best Kids' Area?

BoddaH1994

I remember one time being present in the Nick area, and a vaguely remember a show that involved "dirty" diapers from Rugrats and someone from the audience getting slimed. That is it.

I remember this show too. They had the dirty diapers, which may have just been wet rags, being pulled above the audience's heads on some clothesline deal. Water would then drip down on the audience members.

I also recall a group of three or four adults being placed in "stocks" of sort, and then pied in the face. And a similar set-up of kids, although slimed from above.

EDIT: "We're kickin' it all over town, this party's getting out of bounds..."

"Everyday's a second chance, so get on your feet and dance..."

• Like 3

Considering that it was Hanna-Barbera land from ages 0-8 for me, and Nickelodeon Universe from 8-11, I guess I would say I'm split on what the best era was for the kid's area.

Since I enjoyed both HB characters as well as the Nickelodeon characters being in the park, I suppose my favorite era of the kid's area would be when those characters were both mutually present. Therefore 1995-2005 ('95 being when Nickelodeon Splat City opening).

Criticizing Peanuts for the characters not being so innocent is kinda hard to use as an argument, most cartoons have a little bit of a darkness to some of the characters. Take Nickelodeons most popular TV show at the time of the Nickelodeon Universe years, SpongeBob Squarepants. SpongeBob was obviously ADHD with no real sense of reality, Patrick was a lazy sloth, Mr. Krabs was a greedy penny pincher, and Squidward was an egotistical self-centered pompous jerk.

I see what you mean just judging by the "later" episodes being released, but I'd have to say that Spongebob was not as much so in the earlier episodes (pre-movie) in my opinion. In many ways he was actually quite intelligent, which is what used to make the Spongebob-Patrick duo so golden; one smart, one dumb. But, unfortunately the writing staff has greatly changed over the years, (most drastically after the movie), and yes, we are left with the mostly annoying Spongebob character now as you have described...

Also see Cosmo from the Fairly OddParents. He actually used to be quite intelligent as well when the show first started out...

• Like 5

Snoopy is definitely more relevant than Popeye. Popeye isn't very marketable, because kids don't know who he is, but that's probably why Universal markets Dr. Seuss and other stuff instead.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Parks/Islands-of-Adventure/For-Young-Children.aspx

Peanuts is a good long term choice because they are less effected by time. Nickelodeon was the opposite. All the recognizable characters change every few years. They really were fortunate that Rugrats and SpongeBob had such longevity from a marketing stand point. I'm a big Avatar: The Last Airbender fan, but it would be weird if Snoopy's Surf Dog was still themed to Avatar. That show ended 6 years ago and the ride would feel pretty dated at this point.

I wish Nintendo would sell their licensing for stuff like this. Mario, Pokemon etc. are super easy to market. I just wonder what it would cost...

• Like 3

Having spent the last two years in kiddy land with present day four year old twins, I'll throw in my two cents. Did my kids know who the Peanuts were before they started going to KI? No. Did they care what brand there was? Not one bit. If anything, their exposure to the Peanuts gang at KI has led them to see what the Peanuts were all about outside of KI. Can't begin to tell you how many times we've watched "It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" the past few months. Now that they are more familiar with the Peanuts, it makes each visit that much more special for them. Not sure if that's what Cedar Fair was gunning for when they went with a less familiar brand but hey, whatever works. I'll say this, we threw down quite a bit of cash this year on Peanuts plush in the merch shop so kudos to Cedar Fair, mission accomplished.

As for the removal of water maze, I guess the bad finally outweighed the good. Sure there was never a line and there was little maintenance needed on it but it always seemed like such a liability having that attraction around. Then again, I guess it's no different than the tipping bucket over in the waterpark.

• Like 10

Having spent the last two years in kiddy land with present day four year old twins, I'll throw in my two cents. Did my kids know who the Peanuts were before they started going to KI? No. Did they care what brand there was? Not one bit. If anything, their exposure to the Peanuts gang at KI has led them to see what the Peanuts were all about outside of KI. Can't begin to tell you how many times we've watched "It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" the past few months. Now that they are more familiar with the Peanuts, it makes each visit that much more special for them. Not sure if that's what Cedar Fair was gunning for when they went with a less familiar brand but hey, whatever works. I'll say this, we threw down quite a bit of cash this year on Peanuts plush in the merch shop so kudos to Cedar Fair, mission accomplished.

As for the removal of water maze, I guess the bad finally outweighed the good. Sure there was never a line and there was little maintenance needed on it but it always seemed like such a liability having that attraction around. Then again, I guess it's no different than the tipping bucket over in the waterpark.

Friend's kids think the cartoons are made by the park. The color palette is great for kids, and the lines of the characters are simple.

Does anyone remember having a kid guest that was unduly frightened by Captain Caveman?

• Like 1

I quite enjoyed Captain Caveman when I was younger. It was on Boomerang when my kids where younger, they thought it was just one of the dumbest things they had ever seen..........One of my favorites.

And Hong Kong Phooey. You just don't see classics like that anymore................

• Like 5

Huckleberry Hound was my favorite of the Hanna Barbera characters when I was a kid. At the park, I liked the Jabberjaw ride, and I always loved the way the octopus (whose name escapes me right now) ride looked.

At some point I ended up with a Quickdraw McGraw pencil sharpener that I always liked, although I didn't see any of his cartoons (or know his name) until I was an adult and got the Boomerang network.

I'll admit I also loved Scrappy Doo even though, watching them as an adult, I see his character as the travesty it was. I'm still keeping my little plastic Smurf-sized toy of him (that I almost certainly got at KI) though.

• Like 2

I still, to this day, am a big fan of the Flintstones. I just don't think they'd make it very long today.

"Wilma, stop cryin' Like that, the neighbors will think I'm beatin' ya"

Seen that the other day, I was just floored.

Then there was the Winston ads.

I love the Flintstones, they floor me. They are funnier to me now then when I was young. All the men wear dresses and I just accepted it, along with the idea that there was blue fur to make a tie.

• Like 3