Knotts Berry Farm - Voyage to the Iron Reef

I take it that this is the same ride system as Canada.

I've gotten mixed reviews. A lot of people have said that patrons were disappointed with the Canada one, but they're still building them. Granted, one year apart typically reflects the fact that they signed the contract before any feedback was given.

• Like 2

And the fact that at least one member of this board scheduled a trip to Canada's Wonderland earlier in this season with the specific intention of riding Wonder Mountain's Guardian, and despite scheduling said trip for nearly a month after the park opened for the year, it had not yet opened...

Yes, I am still a little bitter about that.

• Like 4

Just got into a bit of a Twitter war with an individual who tweeted at Knott's that he was planning a trip to Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland, but because of Voyage to the Iron Reef, would cancel his day at Knott's. You read that right: he's canceling his day at Knott's because they're adding a ride to a building that's been vacant for a decade. I obviously tried to insist that that was an absurd thing to do... "Just skip the ride and then it's the same park you had been planning on going to anyway."

Nope. He's "boycotting bad decisions."

I said, "You're skipping an entire park because you don't like the new ride they're adding. That's outrageous."

And he replied: "people do that all the time would you say the same to the folks who don't go to SeaWorld because of shamu?" (sic)

Yep.

I asked: "Why aren't you canceling your day at Disneyland? Or do you just intend to skip Toy Story Midway Mania and enjoy the rest of the park? Get it?"

Gah. Why do I try? And since when have Facebook morons migrated over to Twitter?

• Like 9

No Negative huge investment, they did not take out a ride, and now Three dark rides, now face facts if that happened at KI, and they took out another dark ride, for this maybe some opinions would fly, but the new Captain the President of the Fair's are doing good with Knotts, and trying, sure it wasn't maybe a family ride but they already have two dark family rides.

• Like 2

Oh wow goodyellowkorn182. I can understand if someone were to avoid a business because of how they treat their employees/customers...or if they support certain organizations, but because the park is adding something? Not taking away a ride or two to add something, but to just add it? That's just seems silly to me. Unfortunately, some people have to find something to blame on being unhappy or cranky.

As for me, I will happily make a second visit to Knott's Berry Farm to check out the ride. It sounds interesting enough to check out at least once.

• Like 4

Great Scott! If WDW's 20K Leagues Under The Sea attraction had a baby, it's this! I LOVE the steam punk theme and how it ties in with the area. Cedar Fair is doing EXACTLY what I love, theme and plot based off of the history of the park. Maybe I should go SoCal this year?

• Like 3

Stuff like this really gets me excited! Brings high hopes to seeing something truly amazing being brought to KI. In these cases I think it is good KI didn't jump on this right away, as other parks can test it and see what works and what doesn't from this company, thus allowing for a better ride tomorrow! I could see something like this consuming the space of Boo Blasters on Boo Hill, and giving us one heck of a new dark ride for the 2016 or later season!

the question is though (going for all CF parks) how well will each park keep up with maintenance and theming on the ride, if they get/getting one or already have one?

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

The Reviews are In: Voyage to the Iron Reef is great new addition to Knott's Berry Farm. Or so multiparty experts across many disciplines including theme park design, ride development, video game technology, and former Disney Imagineers,  seem to agree.

Read and watch the slide show featuring the Orange County Register's blue-chip review panels findings:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/knott-661829-blue-good.html

• Like 4

Seems a LOT better than Guardian. Omnimover vehicles, 3D screens, physical sets, a [somewhat] discernible storyline.

Masterpiece? No. 

Could it stand without the interactivity? No.

But a fine ride.

Triotech and / or Cedar Fair is learning.

• Like 7

Probably the smartest thing about it is that it acknowledges the park. It's just just plopped in like Boo Blasters. You're facing off against an army of steampunk sea creatures who have been rising up from Knott's boardwalk and devouring old metal signs and rides. It's a clever way to explain why rides have disappeared, to see them rusting below the water.

Even Wonderland's ride (which is apparently no where near as good) tries to scrape together a premise by finally explaining what's been inside of Wonder Mountain all these years: a vast network of caves and fantasy landscapes ruled over by a dragon (who then - correct me if I'm wrong - is featured in their awesome Starlight Spectacular).

In other words, the fun thing to think about is how Kings Island's would [in theory] use the park's history and theming. If it were in The Crypt building? Imagine using the volcano or the goddess in the ride chamber as "physical sets" to break up the screens. I don't know. Cool thought. 

• Like 6

Cedar Fair is learning lessons with each new dark-ride install and development.

I was taken by the Orange County Register story and how it pleased the young daughter of one of the reviewers--particularly since she was not a gaming aficionado. The ride was entertaining and visually interesting enough to capture her attention and keep her happy.  Talk about striking a great balance.

The story telling of the ride, as our commenter mentions above, explains and incorporates the history of Knott's and the rides which have gone to the nether world. This element will make it difficult for Cedar Fair to switch the ride library around to other parks. So they have either abandoned that concept or are going all out on a prototype for Knott's.

Using inanimate objects as the targets is also a smart idea. No messy Shamu or animal abuse issues. Plus no residuals or actors to pay. Could also be the development of new merchandise lines which require no licensing fees. To proactively sidestep all that indicates intense development criteria and looking FUNForward to enhanced guest experiences, product, and revenue stream improvements.

My guess is they already have the Knott's Scarry Farms Voyage to the Iron Reef version already in the can. Will be interesting to see what new wave hits the Reef in the fall.

• Like 6

Cedar Fair is learning lessons with each new dark-ride install and development.

I was taken by the Orange County Register story and how it pleased the young daughter of one of the reviewers--particularly since she was not a gaming aficionado. The ride was entertaining and visually interesting enough to capture her attention and keep her happy.  Talk about striking a great balance.

The story telling of the ride, as our commenter mentions above, explains and incorporates the history of Knott's and the rides which have gone to the nether world. This element will make it difficult for Cedar Fair to switch the ride library around to other parks. So they have either abandoned that concept or are going all out on a prototype for Knott's.

Using inanimate objects as the targets is also a smart idea. No messy Shamu or animal abuse issues. Plus no residuals or actors to pay. Could also be the development of new merchandise lines which require no licensing fees. To proactively sidestep all that indicates intense development criteria and looking FUNForward to enhanced guest experiences, product, and revenue stream improvements.

My guess is they already have the Knott's Scarry Farms Voyage to the Iron Reef version already in the can. Will be interesting to see what new wave hits the Reef in the fall.

I don't recall them ever mentioning swapping teh library of rides around to the different parks. The way they talked it seemed like each park's rde would be themed to that given park's history, like WMG being themed around legends of the Mountain at teh center of their park. Curious waht they will use for Kings Island.

Also agree with you about the merchandising opportunities. These atrractions give the parks lots of new merchadising opportunitis without them having to pay for any licensing. Not only do they have the usualy opportunities of other rides for merchandising such as t-shirts, shotglasses, mugs, etc. but with all the different creatures in the ride they could make action figures/toys and busts of them as well.

• Like 5

My big hope is that as part of the Amusement Dark initiative, Cedar Fair also rolls out new classic dark rides for each of the parks. That is to say that when Kings Island gets its interactive 21st century ride, I do not think it should replace Boo Blasters. But I think Boo Blasters does need replaced. I think it's entirely redundant to have two "blasting" dark rides, but apparently that didn't stop Wonderland. Have a cutting edge Iron Reef style dark ride, then a classic one, even if its The Great Pumpkin Adventure or something. It's not like we have a shortage of space, and we need more dark rides. It would be redundant for Kings Island to have Boo Blasters and a "better" interactive dark ride. 

At Knott's it makes more sense for Iron Reef to coexist with the park's other rides.. Two super classic dark rides, each FILLED with animatronics, lighting, music, storytelling, and craftsmanship, and each completely and totally refurbished in the last 3 years. Iron Reef is a good foil for them, and a nice way to add a 21st century dark ride that still feels like it's built for the park.

• Like 7