Kings Island rider counts

malem

Agreed about WWC. 

I think the train will be a huge increase.  Mystic Timbers plus Soak City.  Banshee will increase as well, that team was awesome every time I went this year.  Poor old Vortex will keep falling, I don't mind it being a bit rough but those restraints just kill my shoulders. 

It might be just me, but man the ride ops in Planet Snoopy were sloooooow all season. 

• Like 4

One reason is to keep tabs on which rides are popular. I believe it was Matt Ouimet that said the guests "vote with their feet".

Less popular attractions can be looked at to be more likely for removal.

Or low numbers could warrant incentive to spruce up a ride.

Or maybe low numbers means they need to increase maintenence frequency for (whatever might not get daily replacements)

I'm sure there are other reasons besides this and to give a tshirt to the millionth rider.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/16/2015 at 11:04 PM, malem said:

The ride records page on Kings Island's website is gone, but the park published the rider counts for the top 10 rides in 2015. Comparing the results to the numbers from prior seasons:

riderecords-post2015.jpg

Its been claimed for years that BLSC gets "terrible" capacity, but according to these numbers at least, that doesn't appear to be all that true.

An average of 772k from 2012-2015? Not great, but far from terrible.

Only twelve riders per train, but with decently quick dispatches. Besides, launched family coasters generally get lower capacity (across mulitple different manufacturers). Firechaser Express, for example seats just 14 per train. Verbolten 16 (albeit with five trains).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, malem said:

According to Kings Island via Twitter, Vortex's final rider count is 46,030,685. That works out to an average of 862,117 riders per season over the past four seasons.

Based on that- assuming the other rides held somewhat steady to 2015- Vortex was still one of the more popular rides in the park in terms of rider numbers. It probably dropped one spot- thanks to the debut of Mystic Timbers, which from everything I have heard is in the million riders club (which would put it ahead of Vortex).

Also 862,000+ riders per year would actually be the most ridden ride at a lot of parks- I think I even read somewhere that Kings Dominion's MOST RIDDEN coaster, Dominator (at least I think), only gets like 850k-900k riders per year (though I imagine a lot of this is probably because Kings Dominion is a park that generally only gets 1.5-2 million guests per year or so, Kings Island gets 3-3.5 million)!

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 9:40 PM, BeastForever said:

Its been claimed for years that BLSC gets "terrible" capacity, but according to these numbers at least, that doesn't appear to be all that true.

An average of 772k from 2012-2015? Not great, but far from terrible.

Only twelve riders per train, but with decently quick dispatches. Besides, launched family coasters generally get lower capacity (across mulitple different manufacturers). Firechaser Express, for example seats just 14 per train. Verbolten 16 (albeit with five trains).

How do we make a challenge to get Adventure Express one million rides in one season next year. If we all rode it two-three times every time we went i bet we can push it over.