Kings Mills General Store & Christmas Shop

BoddaH1994

Although this isn't "directly" Kings Island related, since the holiday season is coming soon...

We've all see signs for the "Christmas Shop" that is located in the suburban area behind Kings Island. Has anyone visited? Dane and I stopped in one time just to look around. This was probably ten years ago. They had all sorts of collectibles and stuff. Really nice people running the shop. Probably a family.

Just for the sake of conversation, has anyone ever shopped there? How long has it been there? (I remember the signs from when I was a kid)

17968878.jpg

geoview.info

Their web site: http://www.kingschristmas.com/

• Like 10

I shopped there many years ago. I believe the shop popped up during the first incarnation of Winterfest. I believe there are still signs along the road headed towards the shop. It had a lot of really neat collectables. I was looking at the time for Christopher Radko ornaments. nor sure if they sell them or not (these are collectable/limited addition ornaments that are numbered)...The story of how Radko revived the European types of ornaments is fascinating and if you have the time, research some of his story. I have exactly one ornament that is kept safe and secure as it is "one in thirty" that were made. Every holiday season I open the box once to view it and put it away for another season.

If I recall correctly, the store had a few there, not for certain as it's been a loooooong time ago that I visted. I plan on going back to the Christmas shop sometime soon, very cool and unique items....kind of in the mood to do that this year.

• Like 6

I've seen this sign for it for 20+ years on my way to KI. It's kind of fell into the category of some other things that I'd like to see in the area of Kings Island...do I really want to sacrifice time at the park, which is the reason I've driven 1.5 hours, to visit this?

Off topic, but I was kind of shocked to see the big Bob Evans close to Kings Island was closed!

• Like 5

My family and I stopped here a year or two ago, very nice store. Friendly family running it. Great selection of Christmas decorations and gifts. We got a few Christmas ornaments when we went, and most things seemed to be reasonable priced. The store also had the wonderful Christmas scent throughout. :)

• Like 8

I'd like to go back to the day and what the conversation was like that we decided to go there. I remember it being jam packed from floor to ceiling with Christmas stuff, than you would enter a whole new room of more Christmas stuff, than another room.

I think the joke we made is it was just like grandmas house if grandma was a very organised hoarder who liked to display her stuff.

• Like 11

I'd like to go back to the day and what the conversation was like that we decided to go there. I remember it being jam packed from floor to ceiling with Christmas stuff, than you would enter a whole new room of more Christmas stuff, than another room.

I think the joke we made is it was just like grandmas house if grandma was a very organised hoarder who liked to display her stuff.

If I recall, you bought some sort of piece of memorabilia commemorating Dayton's history with powered flight. Do you still have that?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I visited that store was the summer of 1990. I remember walking through pretty quickly and then going back to sit in the car with my dad while my mom browsed. Dad and I timed The Vortex cycles and began writing them down on a notepad. It's funny the things you remember from childhood :) My family hadn't moved to that area just yet, and Kings Island was considered my families vacation spot that summer. We stopped (and attempted stops) by several local attractions including Fantasy Farm and Americana. My parents tried to talk my sister and I into going in to Fantasy Farm, but she and I complained to the point that they aborted the notion. Little did I know that I would acquire such an appreciation for these establishments in my adult life that I regret not participating in my youth. While on the subject of local attractions, does anyone remember the small outlet mall that was once located next to McDonalds (later converted into GE Consumer Credit)? That's another lost local attraction.

• Like 1

I had gone into that outlet mall before. It was full of typical shops catering to overstock.

It was a good place to buy summer clothes and tennis shoes, but overall, there were too many niche stores for my taste. At that age, I couldn't understand the need for a store that was nothing but candles.

In my narcissism, the only items I can recall with clarity was in a rack of bridge set playing cards, many of which had my artwork on them.

Bridge was SO on it's way out, but US Playing Cards kept plugging.

My mother loved it, thought it was grand and had good deals. I was on an artists' wages, and let's be honest, anything over super-sale price was out of limits to me.

I go through life making things that are out of my price bracket.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...