Week IV: Best Cedar Fair (Owned) Kings Island Addition

BB1

Over the few years that Cedar Fair has owned Kings Island, they have forever changed the whole atmosphere of the park; whether it be new rides, new areas, and a few rides returned as well . With this, the culmination of all of the additions now is something enthusiasts have been dying for: Flying Scooters. So, what is the best Cedar Fair Kings Island Addition?

• Like 2

What Cedar Fair addition has probably benefited the park the most? Probably Diamondback.

What addition benefited me the most and made me the most pleased? Banshee, by a long shot......Although second probably goes to the Coney Mall pavers that were put in.

...I can't speak of the Woodstock Gliders yet though.......

....Lets just say it's too early....

• Like 6

Diamondback. It completely changed the face of the park, became a must ride for every visit, and is a high-capacity, high-reliability, coaster. It is incredibly fun, and offers so much. It was and still is a great addition, and was just what the park needed at that time.

For me specifically, Diamondback was the reason I began attending and got a pass for Kings Island in 2009. It was where my enthusiasm for this industry was born. To me, it is the most influential ride of my life. It will also hold that place in my heart.

• Like 8

Firehawk, of course. Diamondback close behind.

Diamondback is such a common ride; up and down hills the whole time.

Even if a hyper design like Diamondback isn't an amazingly unique doesn't make it any less special to the Kings Island park goers. I think it was desperately needed addition that really brought Kings Island's coaster line up to the next level.

• Like 6

Diamondback trains were unique.

I really don't like them. They hurt capacity in many ways; the even numbered rows rattle more and isolate riders.

I see the staggered seating as a gimmick. One that doesn't work very well.

Think how much more capacity the ride would/could have if the trains were the same length but each row seated four.

• Like 4

Diamondback and Banshee are at a tie for me. They both offer different atmospheres that give the rider a sense of the "story" behind that rollercoaster. The names give you a slight hint at what the ride is going to feel like before even sitting down.

Diamondback offers a one of a kind gliding experience over the slopes that Banshee just doesn't. However, Banshee gives you a feeling of chaos instead of that graceful Diamondback feel. Both are simply amazing rollercoasters in their own way. :lol:

• Like 3

Boy i do love Diamondback. It got me back in the park after a few year of not going. That was the first season my young'uns were tall enough to ride to "big coasters". Even though my oldest girl cried going up the lift, she stuck it out, and we've had alot of great rides since then. That and many other memories of KI with them, is something I will always have. Banshee is something new and gives of a wild, non-stop action packed ride from beginning to end. Something that anyone that comes to KI will enjoy for a long time to come. The new rides they are putting in next year is something, I feel, they are doing to please people that have missed something they once had in their park. Plus something extra for just the kids, too.

It's all a matter of what your personal opinion is. There is no wrong answer, as long as you enjoy yourself and are making memories. That's what it's all about.

• Like 5

Building a mediocre hypercoaster that the general public just eats up, thereby thinning out the lines for the good rides.

In all seriousness though, I was at the park one time in my life when it was a Paramount Park. I have no point of reference to compare against, but for me, Banshee seems the most logical answer. The Gliders will likely top it, but I can't say for sure until I ride them.

I also really like the improvements that 2011 brought to the park. We got a big flat, something KI desperately needed. Is it the most thrilling and dynamic ride? No, far from it. But it's fun, and I enjoy it. At night, its lighting package is a thing to behold. The improvements to Coney Mall that came with it were even better. And, for a short time, I could enjoy an hour of ERT on my beloved Vortex until everybody complained nonstop and ruined that for me...

I do appreciate Diamondback though. Had I not ridden it, I wouldn't have nearly the appreciation I have for Magnum, Phantom's Revenge, and Ride of Steel. Diamondback helped to set my bar low so that I could be absolutely blown away when I rode other hypercoasters.

• Like 1

Banshee definitely tops my list of best addition. I love its location, it replaced a problematic (that's being kind) roller coaster and a boring go kart track that had served its purpose. The queue and station areas are nicely themed, definitely beyond what I expected, and the fact that it's now my favorite steel coaster in the park doesn't hurt. The one thing I wish Banshee had more of is trees throughout its course, it would be even more incredible if it was surrounded by woods, but given that they were left with an empty field after taking out Son of Beast, there wasn't much they could do.

Improved entertainment and food options are both high on my list as well.

When I look at Diamondback in terms of being a great addition I have a few issues. I'll just start by saying this doesn't mean I wish we didn't have the ride or that I don't love riding it. That being said, Diamondback just screams "Kinzel Era" to me. First, its location. Whereas Banshee changed Action Zone for the better, the changes to Rivertown when Banshee was added, weren't so great. We lost a lake and so many trees, it really put the final nail in the coffin in what used to be one of my favorite areas of the park (of course Paramount Parks began the destruction with what is now Backlot Stunt Coaster). Diamondback could have blended with Rivertown so much better if they had taken care to save more trees and Swan Lake.

Again, I'd much rather have Diamondback than not have it, but the reason I don't consider it Cedar Fair's best addition is because it seems that instead of saying, "We need a roller coaster, how can we make it fit in at this park?" they said, "We need a roller coaster... great it fits here. Drain the lake, cut down the trees, clear everything out of the way, we need to put this thing in.

Luckily, I think new management operates much smarter than that, as evidenced by Banshee which shows how big a roller coaster can fit beautifully into a park.

Edited by Delirium13
  • Like 4

Hmm...Kings Island's best Cedar Fair addition. Forgive me for going a bit mainstream but Banshee for me too. The post above me by Delirium13 reminded me why and swayed my choice over Diamondback- great ride and addition, but the destruction of the woods and trees was a bit much, plus Banshee did successfully replace the failed Son of Beast which was no small feat.

In fact, random thought: it was hyped up before Diamondback's opening that "it will be in the woods and stuff and be awesome like The Beast!". Well, due to the destruction of all those trees they did to build it, that was a lie- Diamondback doesn't really "feel" in the woods much. The Beast sure as heck does.

• Like 3