"Fresh Horses" 1988 movie filmed at Kings Island

BoddaH1994

I was working on some stuff for KIC's Facebook and I came across something interesting. As you've seen from FUNtv and other sources of Kings Island trivia, the 1988 movie Fresh Horses was filmed in the Cincinnati area - including scenes from Kings Island.

Here are a few shots from the movie:

freshhorses1.jpg

In the above picture, Molly Ringwald is clearly walking along the maintenance path behind The Racer. As in, if she turned around (in today's world) she would be walking toward the intersection at the beginning of Dinosaurs Alive.

freshhorses2.jpg

In this scene, he is clearly walking along the return route - alongside the path of the Blue (north) Racer. This all makes sense.

This, however, does not:

freshhorses3.jpg

They are walking along the turnaround of what is supposed to also be The Racer. I don't think that's it though. The Racer's turnaround on both sides is every bit of 50' in the air. It doesn't turn into a dip like that. Also, you'll notice in the backround there is a sign above the hill (probably "do not stand up"). If this were The Racer, that would be on the first lift hill, therefore you would be able to see the twin racer's other track. And what's up with this maintenance shed in the backround? Wood coaster maintenance is behind The Racer, but nowhere near the turnaround.

Can any of you identify which ride this is? Is it actually The Racer and I'm just missing something?

• Like 8

This was the offseason, so any board that would have been replaced isn't typically painted until later in the Spring. That would account for why some of it is wood-colored.

The third pic, however, has a mixture of white boards and wood-colored boards. I don't know if the Screechin' Eagle was ever painted white. It could have been at some point. 1988 was several years before my first trip there.

• Like 1

It's clear the third one is Screechin' Eagle though. The main drop in the back, the second drop in the foreground, the maintenance building on the right, etc.

In my opinion, it's also clear that the second picture isn't Racer. There's only one track going up on what should be the lift-hill. If it was Racer, there'd of course be two.

Edit - Oh, and Screechin' Eagle was indeed white. Courtesy everyone's favorite, RCDB:

js70000mdg02gg004tq7g1.jpg

• Like 5

For a real Cincinnati movie treat, look up the movie Homebodies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071617/

It was an independent movie filmed in downtown Cincinnati during the OTR renaissance. I was about halfway through the movie before I discovered that the station wagon in the movie was speeding down Central Parkway to the viaduct to drop a "body" over the side to a train below. Had to rewind and watch it again to see other sites around town. However, no KI in the movie.... :(

• Like 4

"Fresh Horses" is an awful movie, and I'm in it. I'm in the background during the White Castle scene filmed in Norwood.

My dad and I love "Homebodies" He's a riffer- I recall vividly seeing the scene where they are all at the door, looking out at the bad guy through the glass, my dad says, "Hey, that one old guy's blind! Why's he looking out the window?"

The whole film is littered with dadisms.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Is this available anywhere like Netflix? Hulu?

It doesn't appear so as far as streaming goes, though you may be able to get it through Netflix's DVD service. Amazon has a copy for $17, as well. But judging from the reactions, that may be overpriced by $17. 

• Like 2