Cedar Point's Good Time Theatre to be removed

According to Cedar Point's OnPoint blog, the Good Time Theatre (which hosted a Snoopy ice skating show during the summer and Midnight Syndicate Live during HalloWeekends) is being removed for future park expansion. https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/The-Curtain-Closes?mobile=0

For the time being at least, this will leave CP without a large, indoor show venue.

• Like 5

^ I agree wholeheartedly. I've never seen a show there I was particularly excited about there (How I wish I'd seen the Midnight Syndicate show there when I had the opportunity!) but loved the appearance of it being partially underground and somewhat engulfed by the surrounding scenery. Another piece of (what I consider) classic Cedar Point is gone. I'll miss it.

• Like 5

To be honest, from a person who has never been to The Point, that just looks retro. Times change, and the park needs new space, as people have already been discussing. If the space is what it looks like, it could easily place a new small coaster or a few flats.

At Kings Island, you can get cool, air-conditioned refreshment at Flight of Fear, Festhaus, Boo Blasters, Kings Island Theatre... Used to be The Crypt, too.

At Cedar Point you can get cool, air conditioned refreshment at the Good Times Theatre.

Wowzers. I'm sure it's being removed for a good reason, but a destination park with zero dark rides, zero indoor coasters, zero large theaters... Odd! The only relief from the heat is in small entertainment venues and arcades.

• Like 5

FUN's aggressive reinvestment strategy of late is refreshing. The Good Time Theatre needed a lot of work. A large portion of it - the outdoor amphitheater - has been vacant in recent seasons. From the outside, it isn't obvious that an indoor theater exists at all.

The fact that Cedar Point needs a large entertainment venue isn't necessarily a good reason to keep this venue, just as needing an indoor ride wasn't a good enough reason to keep Disaster Transport.

I'm sure that the major hole this leaves in the park's lineup will get filled in the years to come.

• Like 7

As much as I want a dark ride at CP, I hope they put another theater in it's place. Not only is the biggest indoor Live E venue gone, it was the one that did not feature a musical revue during the summer. This will now leave the list of things for non-riders and gentle ride only riders even smaller. Also more of the Amazement Park becomes a memory, dang progress. Though hopefully this also spells the end for Cedars (the ugly red buildings behind Wildcat/Bleachers). In my opinion the venue that should be torn down is Oceana.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I took a look at the area on Google Maps, and it's right in the way of a potential path from Blue Streak to the Iron Dragon/Luminosity midway. Remove the Cedars dorms and Turnpike Cars (I don't think CP needs 3 car rides, so the turnpike cars could just move to the Cadillac Cars track and the Cadillac cars could be put in storage as backup for the Antique Cars) and reroute Perimeter Road and you have a nice bit of space for expansion, possibly with some room for a new coaster.

• Like 2

Whatever is in the works for CP, it's really exciting me. This could be the start of that Blue Streak midway expansion/renovation project I've been dreaming about for the past several years.

Time will only tell but I have a feeling that the 2015 season will be home to lots of speculation in that area...

• Like 5

If its a roller coaster they are dreaming up, it would have to be very compact. It does not seem like they have a lot of land to work with for a larger size coaster, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. :)

edit - for a spelling mistake

I took a look at the area on Google Maps, and it's right in the way of a potential path from Blue Streak to the Iron Dragon/Luminosity midway. Remove the Cedars dorms and Turnpike Cars (I don't think CP needs 3 car rides, so the turnpike cars could just move to the Cadillac Cars track and the Cadillac cars could be put in storage as backup for the Antique Cars) and reroute Perimeter Road and you have a nice bit of space for expansion, possibly with some room for a new coaster.

Another coaster? I hope not...not for several years.

The footprint is large enough for a compact coaster like Coast Rider at Knott's though. All the cool things that made CP special to me in my younger days still keep disappearing, (albeit it hasn't been the CP Cinema in a very long time but..) it almost makes me not want to go back to that park especially if the reason is just yet another coaster.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

With such a Good Time, a Sad Time must also come.....

This is that time.

q2qakhM.jpg

(Live Still-Image captured from Cedar Point Live Video Cam 1)

......As we say our goodbyes to the Good Time Theater, the final wall will soon come down.

Soon........... something new will rise.

I know what you're thinking.....A coaster type that begins with Div.....

How about for now we stick with Diversion......

Stay tuned folks.....

The Good Times aren't over.....

• Like 6

Cedar Point took a nose Dive this year. They lost their title handed in the Golden foil. Now I won't Dive into it any further as I have yet to get to the park, but i will say that I would like to be a Fighter, maybe a Euro?

• Like 3