1980 home video Speed Buggy and Wild Animal Safari

VideoFromGeorge

From Screamin' Demon to the animals to the topography...gone. All gone. Note the encyclopaedia sponsor.

Perhaps the 2015 petting zoo is more Cedar Fair 'nostalgia," a strange distorted sorta look back into the smaller zoo future.

And Pontiac GTO car. Gone, too. At least Scooby Doo is still there. Sorta. How odd to think the ride ops portrayed are all at least in their Fifties now....

Thanks for these treasures.

Memories....

• Like 7

Excellent videos!

However, I think the first video is somewhat misleading... Speed Buggy was the large turnpike attraction, about where Surf Dog and Peanuts Playhouse are today. It opened with the park in 1972 and was also known as Marathon Turnpike, Wacky Wheels, and Sunshine Turnpike before its removal in the mid-1990s. Pardon the sign at the beginning, your video instead shows the smaller car attraction that opened in 1979, Kiddie Turnpike (also known as Mr. Jink's Jalopies, Fender Bender 500, Nick Jr. Drivers, and, today, Peanuts 500).

Thanks so much for sharing!

• Like 5

Pretty neat videos. That's the first time I, kinda, got to see the Screamin' Demon run at KI.

I did get to ride it many times as Thunderbolt Express, as matter of fact it was my first looper, and launced for that matter. I have seen a video on Youtube of it running at Camden.

The Monorail was a great attraction. I quite enjoyed it as a kid.

except when mom would point out the moose's (I think) butt. Can't say that was enjoyable.

• Like 5

From Screamin' Demon to the animals to the topography...gone. All gone. Note the encyclopaedia sponsor.

Perhaps the 2015 petting zoo is more Cedar Fair 'nostalgia," a strange distorted sorta look back into the smaller zoo future.

And Pontiac GTO car. Gone, too. At least Scooby Doo is still there. Sorta. How odd to think the ride ops portrayed are all at least in their Fifties now....

Memories....

or the kids in the video are now in their (possible) early 40s?

• Like 5

Memories....

or the kids in the video are now in their (possible) early 40s?

Yes we are. In this video you can see my sister (now 47) my brother (now 43) and me (45) driving the car.

• Like 14

Another great video! Thanks so much for sharing!

To anyone curious, the video depicts the Ohio Overland Auto Livery (Rivertown) side of the Antique Cars. It last operated in 1999, then stood dormant for five years until its demolition in 2004.

It's also really interesting to see, around the 0:25 mark, how close the children are to the moving cars. Today, it's almost guaranteed they'd be at least three feet back and behind a gate (or, at the very least, a clearly-marked yellow line on the ground).

Edit - I don't think the 1999 date I referenced is correct. The attraction either stopped operations in 1997 or 1998.

Edited by Spectrum91
Correction
  • Like 5

These videos mean so much to me! Super rare footage. Thank you. My brother and I were watching them the other day and getting very nostalgic.

Great! Glad you like them! Almost done going through the tape. There is some footage from the train that I still want to post. Right now working on putting together all the random views - walking around the park, brief shots of rides, and the shops.

• Like 7