Kennywood Holiday Lights 12/20/14

DegenRider

I had some vacation time coming and I wanted to do something fun on budget. I decided that Kennywood's Holiday Lights would be fun to do since I have already been to Columbus Zoo's lights. My mom who loves the holidays decided to tag along with me so we packed the car and we were off to Kennywood.

Its about 3 1/2 Hour drive to West Mifflin from my house in Dublin. Our hotel for this trip was the Double tree Monroreville Convention center. The hotel is about 20 Min away. It was a very nice hotel and even better it was EMPTY. While we waited for check in we went to the Monroeville mall. Where I got to see a crazy guy buck ass naked in a bathroom.

After checking in and grabbing a quick lunch at TGI Fridays we headed to Giant Eagle to pickup our discount tickets. Then Waze in its infinite wisdom sent me the most backwards way possible to the park. I went up hills and down hills. I am pretty sure I went back in time for a bit too. We arrived shortly after 5PM and enjoyed the free parking and had a spot 2 rows from the gate.

Bag check and metal detectors were quick and soon we were walking under Kennywood BLVD

Sky Rocket is the 1st thing you see. Sadly It wasn't open. I will have to come back and take that on!

There is also a tunnel of lights as you walk in. Sadly my DSLR decided its battery wanted to completly die even though i charged it the night before so i switched to my galaxy s4

Once your in there are lights everywhere and anywhere

The Paratrooper,Train,Carose, Ghostly manor and turtle were up. Those being the only rides the lines were long. I only partook in The Carousel and train as I have the other credits from my previous trip.

You can see santa in The Racers Station

I was able to catch father Christmas walking around

After seeing santa we walked around kiddie land and took in the sights.

There is a synchronized light show that runs every 15 mins or so . Its very similar to the Columbus Zoo's with its music selection but the lights twinkled off the water very nicely.

Phantom Jr was running as was the ferris wheel and other assorted rides.

We then made our way to the holiday train.

Mom decided to steal my hat as we boarded and road around a gingerbread house.. It was cute

There are easter eggs everywhere. Santa was going up the Thunderbolts lift

I introduced my mother after this to Potato Patch Frys. We went with Cheese and bacon covered. She wondered why I made her queue up for 20 mins waiting on spuds but once she tried them she was hooked

As we were waiting there was a magic show and a telling of The Night Before Christmas. It was very cute. After the frys were head we started making our way back around and up. We stopped at the gift shop where I added a Kennywood Holiday shot glass to my collection and we picked up t shirts for my niece and nephew.

We grabbed 2 hot chocolates in collector cups $5.99 with 99 cent refills ( a steal) and headed to the Carousel The line was short and we were able to get a ride quick.

My ears were cold after this so I replaced by stolen cap

9 hit before we knew it and it was time to say goodnight

So for 16.99 I got a great event and my money's worth. The park was busy and everyone was in good spirits. I wonder why It can never work at our park in Ohio?

• Like 1