Heinz to Replace Red Gold as CF's Official Ketchup

How did that work with like, Pink's Hot Dogs or Chik-fil-A? Were they forced to use Red Gold? Or did their contracts allow them to bring in their own sponsors?

I never paid attention to those particular vendors in-park. But I do remember a McDonald's location in the Mall of America that served Pepsi (this was in 2004, so it may have changed since then). So if they were forced to use Red Gold despite normally being a Heinz company, it at least would not be unheard of.

I'm surprised with the number of non-ketchup users here. I thought I was the only one...

• Like 1

I put ketchup on Fries, Burgers and Meat Loaf. That is it. The folks that eat it on everything, especially Eggs, make me ill.

Mayo is nasty. Nothing but a blend of fat and oil. It is great for removing grease/oil from the skin. Once had a Dr use it to clean a wound before stitching.

• Like 2

How did that work with like, Pink's Hot Dogs or Chik-fil-A? Were they forced to use Red Gold? Or did their contracts allow them to bring in their own sponsors?

Chick-fil-A still had Heinz, if memory serves me right.

Personally, I didn't mind the switch to Red Gold. There were a couple times I put both ketchups on my tray, taste testing the two, and I could not tell a difference.

Johnny Rockets had Heinz the entire time...

As did Friday's.

This may be one of the most pleasant surprises this off season, and a change I am excited for, no more bland ketchup with my fries. As for mustard, I'm not much of a yellow fan. I much prefer brown, preferably Stadium Mustard.

• Like 1

^ With either brand, you're getting tomato paste, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, salt, and flavorings. The quality of the tomatoes and the content of the "flavoring" varies by brand and possibly by batch. A multi-billion dollar food brand goes to a lot of effort to achieve a consistent taste. You might not notice a difference between brands, but food companies work very hard to ensure that some do.

Were I to taste both brands, I would be overwhelmed by the tanginess and sweetness of both - probably so much that I probably wouldn't notice any more subtle differences. I can't stand the stuff.

If you're at a sit-down restaurant that uses an off-brand or house brand condiment, and you want the most popular brand, try asking for it. It's probably stocked for people like you.

I'm surprised with the number of non-ketchup users here. I thought I was the only one...

There are lots of us with food preferences outside the norm. Try going to a restaurant with a group from here. :)

• Like 6

Hunt's was always my favorite when I was growing up. Somewhere along the line they changed their recipe to taste more like Heinz. It must have been more successful than New Coke, because they didn't switch back.

I don't really care all that much between the different brands now except that McDonalds has my favorite. If they sold that in bottles in stores, I'd buy it all the time. I always have to remember to ask for packets when I get fries, because it just isn't the same with other brands.

My husband has a bit of a thing for ketchup and yellow mustard (he often chooses meals based around whether he can use them), so I defer to him on what kinds we buy. His favorites the past few years are Simply Heinz (which uses sugar rather than corn syrup) and Heinz mustard (which he has to buy online at the moment).

• Like 1

^ With either brand, you're getting tomato paste, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, salt, and flavorings. The quality of the tomatoes and the content of the "flavoring" varies by brand and possibly by batch. A multi-billion dollar food brand goes to a lot of effort to achieve a consistent taste. You might not notice a difference between brands, but food companies work very hard to ensure that some do.

Were I to taste both brands, I would be overwhelmed by the tanginess and sweetness of both - probably so much that I probably wouldn't notice any more subtle differences. I can't stand the stuff.

If you're at a sit-down restaurant that uses an off-brand or house brand condiment, and you want the most popular brand, try asking for it. It's probably stocked for people like you.

There are lots of us with food preferences outside the norm. Try going to a restaurant with a group from here. :)

You would probably like the stuff I ate in the restaurants in Germany. It didn't have all the sugar and what not like the American stuff.

• Like 3