Cedar Point Winter Chill-Out

Here's an article with a photo of the new cars and the info again: http://www.coaster-net.com/news/2604-winter-chill-out-a-huge-success/

I didn't buy a ticket because I knew something like this may happen. I was snowed in today, even if I bought a ticket, I would have had left yesterday and spent the night in Sandusky.

• Like 1

That is some interesting shifting and removing of rides.

I just don't understand the hate for the current Maverick restraints. I've done that thing eleven times in a row with no issues. I love that ride.

I think it depends on the rider's height. I like Maverick but can only do two rides a day because of how much my head bangs. I've tried different rows/seats, leaning forward, pushing backward...it just doesn't not hurt. I'm 5'2" so I struggle with OTS harnesses. I'm too short to push my shoulders against the top like my taller friends. I'm happy with the harness system on Gatekeeper and Banshee as I can ride with no pain. I'm looking forward to the new Maverick restraints!
  • Like 5

That "accidental" picture of Outlaw Run sounds exactly like Tony playing with enthusiasts' imaginations, which he has been known to do before on many occasions. :)

Outlaw Run is a Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC) product. There are rumors and enthusiast desires of Cedar Point (or Cedar Fair in general) getting an RMC coaster for a while now. There are even people who have made NoLimits simulations of Mean Streak in the style of RMC. Tony Clark, Director of Communications for Cedar Point, has a history of teasing enthusiasts. What does all this mean? Well, it strongly implies that Tony was messing with y'all with that picture. It was all in good fun. ;)

• Like 4

With the moving of these rides, they have opened a large area of land for future development. They also continue to populate rides by Gatekeeper and the Wicked Twister midway.

Although it is sad to see a classic turnpike car ride leaving. At least they still have the Antique Cars back by Cedar Creek Mine Ride still operating.

• Like 3

^ It could be both a hint and a diversion. Such as how Cedar Point dropped a "Banshee" hint in 2012. Or Kings Island's "The Bat" website "leak" in 2013.

Or it could mean nothing at all (eg. Ride Sally Ride!), or it could be entirely on point. Not knowing is part of the fun.

Regardless, it seems to be doing what it was supposed to do: get people talking about Cedar Point.

That is some interesting shifting and removing of rides.

I just don't understand the hate for the current Maverick restraints. I've done that thing eleven times in a row with no issues. I love that ride.

I think it depends on the rider's height. I like Maverick but can only do two rides a day because of how much my head bangs. I've tried different rows/seats, leaning forward, pushing backward...it just doesn't not hurt. I'm 5'2" so I struggle with OTS harnesses. I'm too short to push my shoulders against the top like my taller friends. I'm happy with the harness system on Gatekeeper and Banshee as I can ride with no pain. I'm looking forward to the new Maverick restraints!

Leaning into the turns solved that problem for me. I didn't enjoy my first ride on it at all due to the restraint, but it's now my favorite roller coaster at CP after learning to ride "correctly".

Amusement rides shouldn't require a special technique to avoid discomfort, so it's good to see that they're addressing it. Maybe DiamondAceExpress will give it another try.

• Like 4

Hopefully whatever is being planned for that area being opened up doesn't involve too much deforestation. That is really the only area near the front of the park that is still relatively well-forested (AKA not barren from trees).

It didn't seem like it when we went through. The side closest to the beach didn't have a lot (maybe even a couple).

They told us they wanted to give people a boardwalk feel.

• Like 1

^^ The beach is on the other side of the peninsula from the area being opened up.

With respect to trees, are you referring to that area (formerly with Good Time Theater, Cedars dorms, Turnpike Cars, & Dodgems) or to the area getting a makeover near Wicked Twister and Gatekeeper?

• Like 1

^^ The beach is on the other side of the peninsula from the area being opened up.

With respect to trees, are you referring to that area (formerly with Good Time Theater, Cedars dorms, Turnpike Cars, & Dodgems) or to the area getting a makeover near Wicked Twister and Gatekeeper?

I was referring to Wicked Twister Midway. The area that Good Time Theater was still has trees. (I'll be posting some photos later)

The area (Good Time Theater and east) is big enough for a couple of resort hotels, and with the marina right there for easy access. Something like Disney's Boardwalk resort, with multiple restaurants, only with direct access to the park would fit perfectly in that location.

• Like 1

They are also tearing down the dorms across the street from where the Good Time Theater was. This is a huge area for something.

Do you have any confirmation on this? I ask because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that Cedars was officially coming down. Matt Ouimet has implied, however, that it would be at some point via previous statements.

This really does open up a large chunk of contiguous land. It definitely hints at something major, as in either a new midway or new coaster.. or both! These are very exciting times to be a Cedar Fair enthusiast. A lot of the parks are getting some much-needed attention. Now, Michigan's Adventure, on the other hand.. When's the last time they got something that was truly new? Well, other than a set of Larson Flying Scooters, that is.

Edit: Ouimet, as the last name of the CEO of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, doing business on NYSE as FUN, deserves to be capitalized here and everywhere. My apologies.

• Like 5

Cedar downs hopefully will stay or move to a new park. It's great.

Cedar Downs isn't going anywhere.

Since Cedar Point started moving employee housing off the peninsula, there has been speculation about the removal of the Cedars dorms (formerly the Cedars Hotel).

• Like 5