Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I feel like Firehawk, in general, is a one-and-done ride. I think most of the general public wants to experience it once and then they get bruises on their shins and whatnot and say "that was a cool experience, but not something I want to do again". That's how it was for me, at least. From what I remember of my ride on it long ago, it's not exactly a comfortable ride.

• Like 3

Firehawk is lower on the list because of its slow loading procedure. Some guests need assistance getting everything on properly, it has to lower and raise in the station, you have the switch track, etc. It all adds up.

The reason I brought up Backlot is because I don't really feel it fits the park anymore. Kings Island is not a park themed to movies anymore with the departure of Paramount, its capacity isn't the greatest, and I honestly think that whole area behind the Eiffel Tower could use something else there. I see it as untapped potential. You could get 3-4 rides in that area w/o Backlot.

• Like 8

Invertigo at least has some things going for it- it has the unique seating arrangement, its the only coaster in the park that you get to ride backwards, and its still one of the most intense rides in the park. Lots of big parks still have Vekoma Boomerangs or a shuttle coaster of some sort.

• Like 3

And why do parks have them? Finance. They're cheap coasters. Doesn't necessarily make them quality rides.

Honestly, while it's fun to discuss based on our own likes and preferences, I'm betting (successful) parks only use finance as a way to evaluate rides. I'm sure they can equate number of rides to revenue for individual attractions. They have a pretty good grasp on the cost to operate a ride. From there it's an easy determination if an attraction is profitable. If it's not profitable, it needs to go. A similar, but slightly different, evaluation needs to occur on whether to expand the park or replace an existing attraction with a new one (the outgoing may be profitable, but below an established threshold). Granted, these aren't always good decisions (see the original Bat and Son of Beast) and end up being undone.

So, if they have a coaster that is inexpensive to buy/install, isn't expensive to maintain and generates profit...that's what most businesses would call a trifecta.

• Like 3

Most rides are currently running / testing including the snake in Rivertown.....

CQGV9id.jpg

And the new Woodstock Gliders ride, which is (as I mentioned in another thread) displaying its light package right now.....

SpeYtfU.jpg

( Live Still-Images captured from Kings Island's Diamondback and Planet Snoopy Construction Cams )

• Like 9

We have rides testing! That's another sign that Opening Day at Kings Island is among us! We are down to the final 48 hours until the big day! Guys and gals, it's getting real! It's almost here!

a09276f00bf8bc4d8a5f067a983c77b9.jpg

And now here's Meteorologist Banshee with your weather update.

This Saturday, we should be in for a spectacular day! Mostly sunny with a high of 77 degrees. Partly cloudy in the late afternoon into the evening with a low of 55 degrees.

• Like 9

With how many times the forecast has changed, I'm waiting until Friday evening to check it, maybe even Saturday morning.

Also, be mindful of your speed around Kings Island. I've seen a lot of speed traps by the Warren County Sheriff around the Mason/Kings Mills area.

• Like 9

Bon Appétit? What are we about to eat? :)

Might I suggest Chili Cheese Fries at Rivertown PotatoWorks, along with a nice, crisp, refreshing fountain drink. Follow up with some Blue Ice Cream, or perhaps a warm, chewy Funnel Cake, delicately dusted with fine, sweet confectioners' sugar!

I guess I should have gone with "Bon début?"

• Like 7

Most rides are currently running / testing including the snake in Rivertown.....

CQGV9id.jpg

And the new Woodstock Gliders ride, which is (as I mentioned in another thread) displaying its light package right now.....

SpeYtfU.jpg

( Live Still-Images captured from Kings Island's Diamondback and Planet Snoopy Construction Cams )

Yesterday was Employee Kick off party and they had Diamondback & Woodstock Gliders rides with food. Good times last night.

• Like 5

Also, be mindful of your speed around Kings Island. I've seen a lot of speed traps by the Warren County Sheriff around the Mason/Kings Mills area.

Or, you know, always obey all traffic rules, passing by the system that was largely designed to keep you safe.

Besides, speeding really doesn't save much time (I could do the math, but I'm hungry..), certainly not enough to make up for the added risk of bodily harm and property damage.

But that's just my "opinion"..

• Like 6

I went by the park today after classes at UC Blue Ash just to get a look at the park before opening day, and saw them. I agree with following the speed limits, just letting people know. ;)

I also saw a crew working on top of the overpass where Kings Mills Road crosses I-71. Not sure if they'll still be working on it or not on Saturday.

• Like 3

Was it designed to keep you safe? I have my suspicions it was not but that is a another off topic debate I will avoid. I am just super excited to be at KI Saturday and I plan on getting up in time to not have to speed. This will be my first ERT and I can't wait (but I have to...).

• Like 3

ONE. MORE. DAY!! Wow can you believe it? It feels like yesterday it was January with like 80 something days left. Now, it's Preview Night for Gold Pass holders who renewed by Nov. 6, and tomorrow is Opening Day! One of the fastest offseasons I've ever seen. Whoever is going to Preview Night, I hope you all have a FUN time and here's to a FUN season!

7a51cbf2d9baa4353c8a014123a990db.jpg

Photo via @KingsIslandPR on Twitter and edited by me. https://twitter.com/kingsislandpr/status/588085123133878272

And now here's Meteorologist Banshee with the weather.

Tomorrow is looking mighty dandy! Expected high of 75 degrees and mostly sunny and a low of 52 degrees.

• Like 7