Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I went tonight and decided to ride FOF as it was quite cold. The ride op was dispatching trains a lot quicker than normal. They usually seem to be waiting for something because they will sometimes announce "green cones", meaning that whatever they were waiting for is ready. Our train was dispatched very soon after the last one. As we were launching, I noticed that we were moving remarkably slower than normal. The train was moving at about 40 mph near the end of the launch when all of a sudden the brakes slammed closed. We stopped in less than 1 second. For some reason, we were not launched fast enough. Eventually, maintenance came and manually released the brakes and pushed the train all the way back to the station while everyone was still in it. A few test runs later, the ride was operating normally, except they decided to only use the front 3 cars. Made for a fun and interesting night!

• Like 7

Well maybe if they turned off the lights on the second half of Banshee ( after the zero g roll ) there would be enough juice to run both. ( not going to work, would make Banshee experience at night better. )

^So the Drop Tower crew calls the Flight of Fear crew every cycle? At what point in the Drop Tower cycle is Flight of Fear allowed to launch?  That lifting mechanism (which still weighs quite a bit) is nearly in constant use, whether its lifting the carriage or lowering back down to get it again.  Why just Drop Tower? 

Something about all that doesn't add up.  

• Like 3

Last season, a member of Flight of Fear's crew would announce "drop" when they received the signal from Drop Tower. The lift power for Drop Tower is more than what's required for a "standard" elevator, as the ride vehicle must be lifted past the magnetic brakes. That and a 2MW launch (along with the lesser loads in the area) are apparently too much for the electrical system supplying that portion of the park.

For at least part of last season, Flight of Fear was also delaying the launch upon a signal from Backlot Stunt Coaster. Evidently to ensure that both wouldn't launch simultaneously.

• Like 4

Hopefully the park will be setting aside funds to upgrade the electric in that area in the coming years. I am wondering why this is just now becoming a problem though since both DT and FoF have been in the park together for over a decade.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Hopefully the park will be setting aside funds to upgrade the electric in that area in the coming years. I am wondering why this is just now becoming a problem though since both DT and FoF have been in the park together for over a decade.

I'm guessing it probably has to do with the new kid on the block, considering all this started after she showed up. Though the it does seem like an issue that they could have (should have?) foreseen.

• Like 1

It may also give them a reason to remove one of the rides. As mentioned before, Backlot IS on some prime real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, if this stuff is true, it would explain the fires (or Smoke depending upon what explanation you use)  last year.

That gives me a rather uneasy feeling. If the parks power grid is degrading and inefficient how long til something bad happens?

One simple miscommunication could cause a major problem.

Excuse me guys but we really need to upgrade this areas power grid. Well, we can't afford that right now, just tell the kids operating the rides to not run them at the same time. What's the worse that could happen?

• Like 1

So, if this stuff is true, it would explain the fires last year.

Just so it's clear: there were no fires, news reports from WCPO notwithstanding.

In one incident, a motor near the launch area was found emitting smoke. Power to the motor was cut, repairs were made, and the ride reopened a few days later. A second incident involved smoke coming from an electrical panel outside the ride. In both instances, the area was evacuated to ensure safety.

• Like 5

Just so it's clear: there were no fires, news reports from WCPO notwithstanding.

In one incident, a motor near the launch area was found emitting smoke. Power to the motor was cut, repairs were made, and the ride reopened a few days later. A second incident involved smoke coming from an electrical panel outside the ride. In both instances, the area was evacuated to ensure safety.

Where there is smoke.............

I understand how electricity works and have cause quite a bit of "smoke" of my own over the last 2 decades, lol.

To be clear, I am not saying the park is gonna go up in flames one day. I do not believe the rides cannot operate at the same time either. Just tossing out the thought that crossed my mind at that particular point in time.

• Like 2

It's a beautiful day here at the park today! Lots of people in line for BLSC and AE.  Both rides awesome as usual. Haven't made it over to the big guys yet. Oh, and I got in some good walking -- two laps at DA (I love hearing all the attempted pronunciations of the dinosaur species as I stroll by. My favorite today: The "Faque-a-bow-OCK-o-saur... oh, 'Facebook-o-saurus.")

I am not kidding!

On to my fave landmark... Getting on the elevator to the Eiffel Tower, we guests were entertained by two very vibrant, colorful people in their 50s or 60's, loudly trying to decide whether to get on or wait until later.  We began speculating whether they were paid performers, because they almost looked like they were reciting (very funny) lines! It was a man and woman, who sounded like "Archie & Edith Bunker" in tone and accent.  As the doors were closing, the man laid down on the pavement to take a picture of the tower.  We were about ready to bust out laughing.

On my way off site now for lunch.  I might come back for some Beast action; probably DB, but it's an 8-close, and I don't like riding DB on chilly days.

• Like 12

If one is into sweet/salty combinations, the Maple Bacon taffy from the pick-a-mix wall at Sweet Spot is really yummy! I tried it first out of the many kinds I bought, and wondered for a moment if they'd let me exchange the rest of it for more Maple Bacon! I didn't dislike any of the other flavors, though, and most were quite good. The Root Beer Float was my second favorite.

• Like 5

Hey, this may be off topic, but behind Gigas and Hypers, Inverts are my favorite kind. However, why do B & M inverts seem to never have a normal drop, I mean Invert Shuttle Coasters do to an extent (talking about you my first looping coaster). Banshee is currently my favorite rollercoaster, but I wish it had a standard drop. Is it because of intensity/Gs?