Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I too am looking for all the Gold Pass benefits, but from mobile. It takes me to the mobile site.

When you get to the mobile site, tap "Full Site", then close that window. Tap the link again and you'll be taken to the full page rather than the mobile site. You'll have to zoom in to read it, but it's better than trying to dig through the mobile site.

• Like 1

^ That hasn't been discussed here as far as I'm aware. I noticed some work in that area on Friday, but I didn't pay close attention. A good question for someone to ask at the Coasterstock Beast walkback, perhaps.

Also, welcome back.

• Like 5

There is a new pole for FUNtv by The Racer and the poles by The Beast are clearly for chain link fencing. (Its still rolled up beside them) The Bat is also wired for TVs now. Didn't check out Adventure Express as the line almost filled the entire que and for us, not worth the wait.

Playing "spot the WiFi AP" was our game of the day. They are practically everywhere.

Finally made it all day on a single charge. Not having to use 4G is a great battery saver.

• Like 6

Took my first trip to KI yesterday afternoon.  Despite a crowded lot when we arrived around 3:00 pm, the lines (at least we were, mostly Planet Snoopy) never felt too long.  Speaking of arriving, I'll start there.  I've seen the numerous complaints about the parking lot, and have never really understood the fuse.  After yesterday, I realize its b/c of how my normal routing operates.  Typically, we go in the evenings, mid week as a family, I drive up from the south after work, my wife drives down from the north with the kids, we meet around 5-6 pm, the park typically isn't too crowded, and generally we always park in the same handful of rows, so most of our parking lot time is spent driving along the main road that runs down the middle.  Yesterday, we had to traverse "up and down" several rows of parking to find a spot, looking for a spot vacated by somebody that had left for the day (or food).  As such, I got a feel for just how bad the rows of the parking lot are.  The lot desperately needs repaving.  If Kentucky Motor Speedway can advertise how its the roughest track in NASCAR, and how the best love it, while others fear it, KI should pull out a similar slogan for their parking lot, the roughest ride in the park.

Anyhoo, we got in, got the kids measured and headed to Planet Snoopy.  I wasn't sure if our 6 year old would be at 52" or 54" to start off the year, I was kind of hoping for something less than 54" b/c our 2 year old daughter hit the 36" mark over the offseason and it meant there would be a significant amount of rides they could do together in that part of the park, and knowing we only had a short window before he'd hit 54" and be considered too tall for many of the attractions there.  Even when our son hit the 48" mark 2 years ago, and discovered that he loved The Beast, Adventure Express, White Water Canyon and all of the others "bigger" rides he could hit once he got to the 48" (and in some cases like WWC a shade less) he still always had fun in Planet Snoopy and there were things there he definitely wanted to get on again.  I assumed that would still hold true, at least early in the season while he could ride some stuff with his sister.  Dad was wrong (not the first time, certainly not the last), he "hated" Planet Snoopy; he's definitely hit the "I want to be in the big kid part of the park" stage.  I'm hoping that phases out b/c there are a couple of trips with some of his friends too small, or too scared to ride The Beast or other bigger coasters.  I did get him on the flying scooters, and he had a ton of fun.  I've forgotten just how much swing you can get on that; generally I don't do spinning rides, but the Eagles never bothered me as a kid, so I gave the new version a twirl and enjoyed them just as much as I remembered from my earlier days.  They were surprisingly snug for myself and my 6 year old, would be tough to fit two adults into 1.  Our 2 year old seemed to enjoy them.

We caught a couple of other small rides, headed over to The Scrambler so our son and daughter could ride it with grandma.  Our son has always loved it, our daughter has never been on it; not sure we'll get her on it again, she definitely wasn't a fan.  Of course she felt the same way after riding The Monster last season, but by the end of the year, she had made 4 runs of it with Mom in a single trip, so perhaps she'll "grow" into it.  After Scrambler, we grabbed some dinner, then finally got our son on one of his "new coasters".  He said at the beginning of the day (and last season when he was getting close to the 52" mark) that he didn't want to get on Banshee.  I had him talked into Flight of Fear and he seemed excited, but when he realized we were going to the Festhause for Dinner, and new Banshee was right by it, he made up his mind that was the one he wanted to do before we left the park.  To his credit, the fear he talked about earlier in the day never popped up once he decided he was going to ride it.  He loved the theming and was asking about the tombstones and if people were really buried there.  I had never thought of it like this, but once we were in our seats, he made the comment that it felt like The Banshee had captured us the way the seats come down on you, which I thought was a good analogy.  Seeing that we are going to have to "divide and conquer" a little more than I thought originally with our 2 kids, and since my wife has the "9 month flue" I see the two us having a good amount of trips on Banshee this year.  He's got about 1 more inch to go for Diamondback, he's really looking forward to that one.

After Banshee, his grandparents headed home and we meet my wife back in Planet Snoopy then hit Graeters before leaving.  Something I have never seen before (though I doubt its the first time they've been there), was seeing about 4-6 Canadian Geese swimming in the fountains.  I would have assumed the water was chemically treated, but I noticed one dipping its head in and drinking away, perhaps not, or perhaps they didn't care.  Will these take up permanent residence, or will KI chase them off this week?  Don't know when they stopped in.  All in all, a good, quick 4 hour trip to KI.  Great weather, loved the new location of the dino up front, employees were all friendly and helpful.  Looking forward to the season.

• Like 8

The Geese have been there for as long as I can remember. Saw one of them on the roof of one of the IS buildings yesterday for the first time. Kids thought it was hilarious!

I don't do Spinny rides either but discovered the new Space Buggies was tolerable and enjoyable! Its my Two year olds favorite ride.

The Eagles are iffy for me. Depends on the day.

• Like 2

Ugh, How I wish I could go to CoasterStock. Thus is the life a high school student with no stable income or car. (I had to work so hard to get this years season pass.)

I feel that feel. Ironically, Kings Island does offer numerous summer jobs if you're looking for a good source of steady income :P

• Like 4

I think a curved drop brings out the inverted aspect more. Having laterals coupled with the drop lets your legs swing a bit. That and inverted coasters aren't normally known for airtime, though Banshee does due to its steep angle of descent and the fact it doesn't have that little pre-drop dip that most B&M inverted coasters have.

There's other factors like space, what things the park(s) request, etc.

Anything with air time shouldn't have OTSRs. I know or Maverick has them, but I don't like them on anything that emphasizes air time.

I305 has them as well but they are soft and flex just enough for you to feel it.

Still nothing like Fury's air time.

I...will...agree...with...that.

Truthful Terpy (who thinks I-305 is among the five worst coasters he has ridden...ever. If I never ride that thing again, it will be too soon.)

• Like 1

Saw the park was installing a series of poles along The Beast's track in between the second tunnel and the second lift hill. Is this something that has been mentioned on here and elaborated upon already? I've been out of the loop for a while.

Also I'm back.

There is a fence up along The Beast tracks now in the woods

• Like 5

I like the new window signage for the 80's shop and signage for "Creative Glass," as well as the shirts marth555 mentioned, and the cool, 8-bit Kings Island Coasters shirts, which, though blocky, are cool in their own way. I chatted with Wayne at the glass shop; told him I 'miss the torch.' Wished him luck this Mothers' Day weekend, which he said is a big week for the glass. Great, very colorful day at the park!

One more thing - the caller at the Three Point Challenge is amazing! I actually sat and watched a few players give it a go, just to listen to him keep up with the action; kid's got mad pro play-by-play skills!

• Like 7