Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I finally was able to ride Flying Eagles on Tuesday (I don't care if they're Woodstock Gliders, they're still Flying Eagles to me. haha)

Anyways. I think I know the snapping secret to well, because within 2 rotations of the ride I was already gliding sideways. If I continued I probably could have gotten close to flipping around or something, I know the ride will prevent that from happening, but it really felt like I could have done it. It was quite fun!

• Like 6

For those who care about such things: The new Starbucks at Kings Island DOES accept Starbucks Cards, and you DO get Stars toward their rewards program for purchases there using a Starbucks Card. I purchased a passionfruit iced tea on my way out yesterday evening, and according to the Starbucks app today, I indeed received a Star for that purchase.

Next step: wait for my first Lucky Dozen free drink reward (currently five Stars away), and find out if they'll redeem that. :)

• Like 2

I rode Diamondback tonight and counted the airtime. I clocked 32 seconds in row 14 and started wondering why Kings Island has not gone for the record. The Big Three at the park would have a world record. Banshee with longest invert, Beast with longest woodie, and Diamondback with most airtime.

• Like 2

Yesterday marked my first trip to the park this year, and I noticed a new, relatively low cell phone tower from Planet Snoopy which looks like it's on park property. Is this new, or did they add it last year?

• Like 1

Cool. I really liked the Gliders. I got it really high but I didn't get it to snap. It was my first time on a scooters ride so I think with some more practice I'll be able to snap I hope.

Edit: I went pass The Monster a hour ago and it's cars (if that's what they are called) have been removed.

• Like 2

Yesterday marked my first trip to the park this year, and I noticed a new, relatively low cell phone tower from Planet Snoopy which looks like it's on park property. Is this new, or did they add it last year?

Honestly, I can't remember. Hah! I noticed it this year too, but it seems more unlike a cell phone tower, because it has several "boxes" on it....maybe part of the Wi-Fi infrastructure? 

• Like 3

Honestly, I can't remember. Hah! I noticed it this year too, but it seems more unlike a cell phone tower, because it has several "boxes" on it....maybe part of the Wi-Fi infrastructure? 

That's what cell towers generally look like.  :)

Cell towers:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cell+tower&tbm=isch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_site

The Wi-Fi access points (APs) for the KIGuestWiFi network seem to all be mounted in/on buildings.  Below, one was found in the picnic grove, having become the home of a bird's nest.  It's that off-white box with the curved surfaces.  They're all over the park, as Wi-Fi doesn't exactly reach far from an AP, and it can be quite directional.  See also: all four corners of the bathroom outside BLSC house an AP.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that the tower in the maintenance lot by Planet Snoopy/Picnic Grove is indeed a cell tower.  It's also got a generator next to it which I doubt the park would need for Wi-Fi.  As it's a Generac, compared to the Kohler Power Systems units throughout the park (Banshee, Delirium, Diamondback..), that also makes me think the tower belongs to an outside company, one that manages cell sites locally.

IMG_20150517_133147.jpg

• Like 5

I think KI is sorely lacking in flat rides for adults. Action Zone could use a couple but Rivertown is more like Ghost-town with it's lack of flats. Coney is overloaded with flat rides. Plus, who wouldn't like to see a flat with a magnificent light show in the woods of Rivertown?

• Like 8

I can see them getting a Ferris Wheel in the future, maybe by Chance and idk about a classic dark ride.

The Chance Giant Wheel looks interesting, but I love the Eli Bridge Ferris Wheels (the model seen at Stricker's Grove and Coney Island among other places). It seems more like the "traditional" Ferris wheel than the Chance ones, despite having much lower capacity.

• Like 3

Oh yeah. I actually knew that at some point, because I had considered trying to see if I could get that Bunsen and Beaker Muppet Mobile Lab (built on a Segway) to officiate our wedding. But it was in Japan at that time.

Figures Disney would be the ones smart enough to realize the potential of picking up Henson's characters.

Going back to what's missing from the park - are trams really needed? I really don't think the Kings Island parking lot is that big. Dollywood, on the other hand, has a huge parking lot that extends pretty far from the entrance. The trams there are a necessity. Walking from the back parking lot to the park takes 10 minutes. At Kings Island, it seems to take just a few minutes. 

• Like 2

There are a number of flats that KI could use.  A "classic" dark ride could take the place of Boo Blasters any day now; and while I'm at it- the BRIGHT monitors playing pop music videos really takes away from the mystique of the line.  Not sure who came up with that... at least play "Friday the 13th"- well, maybe not.

This next comment isn't on KI, so much as it is the guests... As a father of a young daughter I have to, every now and then, have her accompany me into the men's restroom so she can go "potty."  I am NEVER so disappointed in my particular gender than when I see an empty bank of urinals, yet some moron is standing upright in a stall doing his business... with terrible aim.  Really?, I mean, if you cannot hit the hole without splattering all over what's intended as a seat- use the flipping urinals.  I shamed a mid-20's person into going back in and cleaning up after himself.  My 4 year old and I came out of that stall moments before and while washing hands, said perpetrator entered to empty himself.  Daughter decided she wasn't done so we go back... since I knew it was clean'ish when we left.

So, my "2015 Discussion" life hack for all the boys and men on the thread... if you can't aim through the uprights properly- USE THE URINAL.  

• Like 6

Going back to what's missing from the park - are trams really needed? I really don't think the Kings Island parking lot is that big. Dollywood, on the other hand, has a huge parking lot that extends pretty far from the entrance. The trams there are a necessity. Walking from the back parking lot to the park takes 10 minutes. At Kings Island, it seems to take just a few minutes.

They were once used. And with reason.

Personally, I think it makes a guest more excited about their entry into the park.

Similar to Magic Kingdom's parking situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

On extremely busy days, people sometimes have to park way out past Soak City. The walk from the main gate to the Soak City gate takes 10 minutes, as I timed on Saturday morning when returning to where I had parked my car for the 5K earlier that morning. Parking south of the Soak City gate would add even more time to that, as would parking closer to KI Drive. Without trams, someone forced to park all the way out in the southwest corner of the lot must walk two-thirds of a mile to reach the main gate, and another two-thirds of a mile to return to their car at the end of the day. Now imagine walking that distance with young, exhausted children who are up way past their normal bedtime.

This problem also faces anyone who parks at Soak City to use their car as a locker while in the waterpark, but wants to stay until nightfall to enjoy the dry side of the park as well (and doesn't/can't return to the car before waterpark closing to move it closer to the main gate), regardless of how busy the park is that day.

• Like 4