Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I'm all for a change in the nighttime show period. The same fireworks show and music several years in a row? Common guys. That Rihanna hit was from 2012, lets get with the current if we're ganna use pop music. I'd prefer score stuff or unique pieces, but the parks don't seem to go that direction anyways. 

While they're at it the same show and music is at Cedar Point during their beach deal they started last year, that's def a no-go in my book. Stop using cookie cutters in the parks!

• Like 2

My better half and I were talking about the fountains on our last visit and we both agreed that the pedestals (or whatever you'd call them) on the center line of the pool have a very 70's look to them and could stand for an update.

I've said here before that I think a Bellagio-style fountain show would be an amazing addition to the park. Granted, it wouldn't be on the same scale as the Bellagio lake is many times bigger than the fountains at KI, but the concept would still work and, I think, be a unique attraction for guests to take in.

• Like 2

How about a true nighttime show with fountains and lasers and lights and fireworks... and an original score?

I agree and would not be surprised to see this happen along with the re-opening of the International Restaurant now that the elevator has been installed. That would be an epic place to watch said night time show. This plus a new dark ride are my predictions for next year :)

• Like 1

Going back to what's missing from the park - are trams really needed? I really don't think the Kings Island parking lot is that big. Dollywood, on the other hand, has a huge parking lot that extends pretty far from the entrance. The trams there are a necessity. Walking from the back parking lot to the park takes 10 minutes. At Kings Island, it seems to take just a few minutes. 

People have mentioned the young children and the long walk.  I have a 2 year old and the walk from the drop off area to the front of the park is a long haul for him.  It will still be a long haul for him when he is 5 or 6.  My mom will be 60 soon.  She goes to the park.  She doesnt have a handicap sticker unless my dad goes with her.  Thats a long haul for her on hot days or if we have to park farther out.  Soon, she will have to either get a handicap sticker for herself (or borrow dad's) or stop coming to the park with us all of the time. 

The walk doesnt seem that bad when you are young and in shape.  But as you age it becomes more of a problem.  In the park, there are a few places to sit in the shade.  In the parking lot, there is none.  I do have hopes for a tram return though.  Even though things have been repaved and re-lined there still appears to be enough room on the sidewalk and tram right of ways....

• Like 4

I noticed an ad for KI on an electronic billboard yesterday here in Indy offering the usual Kroger discount tickets, but with a twist-those buying Kroger tickets will be offered ERT at least on Banshee. Interesting, to say the least.

• Like 3

^

Heard something along those lines on the in-store advert while in Kroger yesterday. But, how would they enforce it for just Banshee?

Not a fan. ERT was one of the perks that 'sold' me on buying a gold pass...now it's no longer a perk.

• Like 6

Given the throughput of the ride, I'm sure the park figured the number of extra guests the ride would be handling from 9:30-10 and decided the ride could easily handle it.  As far as enforcing it, perhaps it's as simple as putting on a special paper wristband given by the admissions employee when scanning your Kroger-purchased KI card. In reality, I've been to the park on a both slow and busy days for ERT and, just sticking to Banshee, have only gotten in 2-3 rides before the park opens in each instance.

• Like 2

Question...

And this may just be me...

Does anyone else think that The Vortex needs a little TLC? Last year, when the coaster was actually open, the ride was as loud as The Beast and I noticed how faint the paint was looking.  

Question...

Does anyone else think that The Vortex needs a little TLC? Last year, when the coaster was actually open, the ride was as loud as The Beast and I noticed how faint the paint was looking.

Totally agree, the paint is faded badly in a number of places. The whole thing needs some work. I actually like the ride but they need to keep it looking nice.

• Like 1

Question...

Totally agree, the paint is faded badly in a number of places. The whole thing needs some work. I actually like the ride but they need to keep it looking nice.

If it's going to be a ride that stays promoted through tee shirts, advertisements, etc... the ride should look nice. It's pretty lazy looking to me when it starts looking lousy and they don't fix it in the off season. I'd much rather come back to the park, see no "new" stuff, but see the rides they currently have being in a nice condition. 

Also, while we're at it, has anyone noticed if they've fixed the queue line's paint for The Bat? Last season, the stars from when it was still Top Gun were over the little bridge in the queue line. It looked bad to me. 

My better half and I were talking about the fountains on our last visit and we both agreed that the pedestals (or whatever you'd call them) on the center line of the pool have a very 70's look to them and could stand for an update.

I've said here before that I think a Bellagio-style fountain show would be an amazing addition to the park. Granted, it wouldn't be on the same scale as the Bellagio lake is many times bigger than the fountains at KI, but the concept would still work and, I think, be a unique attraction for guests to take in.

Second the fountain upgrade. I'd love to see them do it. Give me the CW or KD black bottom pool with dancing fountains and lights. I'd like the pedestals to stay, it looks a bit dated but they do look nice and could see them fitting with a new retrofit. Maybe just update them to dance or put lights in those that shine nice and bright, who knows. Anything they do at this point will look great IMO. 

After seeing the sets myself this year other than in pictures & whatnot, I'm sold on them, it looks great during the day, the nighttime atmosphere around the fountains is memorable and pleasant, and it does add some life to the area. I'd hope that seeing the other parks have adopted these, KI will follow suit shortly. 

Don Helbig is testing Periscope this morning, e'en as we speak.

This app would really be great for impromptu video tours of the park, and special events.

Of course, not on rides, but to be able to broadcast from the park all over the world would be boss.

• Like 1

It would be nice to see Vortex get some TLC, but I'm sure there's a prioritization of things that need attention for other reasons and Vortex just never quite makes it to the top of the list unless it's broken.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, for it to get some fresh pain after the 2016 season. 2017 is, afterall, it's 30th birthday

• Like 4

Vortex was repainted a couple of seasons ago, though with the paint faded as badly as it is, one wonders if the park purchased an off-brand paint! A far as the fountaisn, I recall Ouimet saying that all parks would receive the fountain upgrade that Canada got last year.  Paramount did upgrade the fountains to their current state when they owned the park.

• Like 1

Vortex was repainted a couple of seasons ago, though with the paint faded as badly as it is, one wonders if the park purchased an off-brand paint! A far as the fountaisn, I recall Ouimet saying that all parks would receive the fountain upgrade that Canada got last year. Paramount did upgrade the fountains to their current state when they owned the park.

The only part of Vortex painted recently was the running rails. That was in 2009. Last major repaint was in 2001 the year I was on the crew.
  • Like 4

Vortex was repainted a couple of seasons ago, though with the paint faded as badly as it is, one wonders if the park purchased an off-brand paint! A far as the fountaisn, I recall Ouimet saying that all parks would receive the fountain upgrade that Canada got last year. Paramount did upgrade the fountains to their current state when they owned the park.

The only part of Vortex painted recently was the running rails. That was in 2009. Last major repaint was in 2001 the year I was on the crew.

All I know is the view of The Vortex from The Beast's queue is really pitiful. Especially the purple support beams, in my opinion. 

I think a few coaster, rides and smaller things need just a little bit of TLC and they would be better - Vortex needs some new paint, Adventure Express needs some paint and some mechanical and a good cleaning and it would be better too

I've never even noticed Adventure Express had paint on it. It always looked like wood to me but I haven't paid too much attention.