Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

^Of course it is.  Saxophones make everything better. B)

I really enjoyed it as well.  I found one of the instructors that works with the UC band plays trumpet for the group (he's the younger looking man).  Even on tunes I don't particularly care for otherwise, it just sounds awesome live with a group like that.  

I saw Cirque for the first time today as well.  Love the new music track and some of the new stuff.  I prefer this year's version to last year's.  

OTC is still my favorite show though.  

• Like 5

Magenta Lizard and I were stuck on the first lift hill of The Beast due to a guest having his GoPro out. The ride op (Princess Sparkles) had to go retrieve it.

The person in question while waiting in line read the sign out loud and said since it only said no pictures, video must be fine.

• Like 9

Magenta Lizard and I were stuck on the first lift hill of The Beast due to a guest having his GoPro out. The ride op (Princess Sparkles) had to go retrieve it.

The person in question while waiting in line read the sign out loud and said since it only said no pictures, video must be fine.

What is video but a very rapid sequence of pictures usually with background audio?

Sounds like someone was testing the ability to get away with stuff.  Grr.  :(

• Like 4

People like that are the reason 500 word "warning" labels exist.

Agreed. Y'all should read the rules page on Kennywood's website. It's huge, and you can tell from the wording that they've had people trying to work around their rules in just about every manner possible. (Don't bring dead animals to Kennywood? Seriously?)
  • Like 7

If no live animals were to visit an amusement park, said park would surely go out of business.

After all, its paying customers are animals.

They're humans.  Humans are animals.

*gasp*

(And what Terpy said)

• Like 7

Yesterday or today(idk which)'s visit was one my most memorable yet for many different reasons. Here are a few quotes to sum it up. (Trip report coming soon!!)

"If your gonna ride you either have to sit on your sandals or wear em'"

"Dude where did my shoes go?"

"Sir can we push down a little more?"

"'Murica'"

Just a few of them that made it memorable in both good and bad.

• Like 2

Saw something interesting and new yesterday at the park. As we were walking along International Street, in the distance I heard drumming and initially thought it was The KI Five. But as we got closer, next to the fountains, there was a man wearing a multicolored-paint-splattered white painter's outfit, sitting next to a cart that said "Kings Island Paint Dept" with two overturned big plastic buckets that he was playing like drums.

If this is a sign of bringing back multiple types of wandering entertainment, I must say I am a big fan. I hope it won't be only on weekends tho, because yesterday convinced me not to go on the weekend again for awhile :)

Another highlight of the trip was a couple free offers showing up in the app. I got a rock candy stick at Sweet Spot and a Sally keychain at Peanuts Emporium. I discovered that with the latest update, I have to set my iPhone setting to "always allow" location based services before offers will show up. I had it set to "while in use", and it would show ride wait times but no offers.

• Like 5

At least you were able to get the App to give you the discounts.

My wife and I'd kept telling us 50% off a funnel cake after signing up but after sign up, nope. Only a discount for the Emporium.

Oh well, empty calories we didn't need anyway.

• Like 2

I've never gotten the 50% off funnel cakes one either even tho it promised. I am disappointed about that because I wanted to try this month's special cheesecake one.

I forget what it was, maybe on the website when they try to get you to download the app, but yesterday I saw something talking about a buy one get one free on funnel cakes after 5:00, but that didn't show up in the app either. Not that I need two of them.

Note: none of the offers show up when you're not actually at the park (or if you have location services off). Unless you have a non-iPhone and spoof your location apparently. I know that works for ride times at least.

• Like 4

The sign-up funnel cake bonus should be there when you visit the park after registering with your e-mail address. If you never got it, you might try registering again. It's a new system, so there may be some lingering technical issues.

Aside from that, users of KI app may receive various offers while in the park, including savings on food, upcharge attractions, merchandise, and even Fast Lane. Make sure to use the app (& keep Location Services enabled with appropriate permissions granted on iOS devices, as noted above) whenever you're at the park!

Note that most deals are only good on the day that you receive them.

• Like 2

I get prompted to sign up every time I open the app. When I try the Facebook option it throws up a Facebook window for like 2 seconds then goes away and then just shows the Kings Island skyline kinda blurry and never changes. Then I try it with email and it let's me in even though I never get an email for it. Then the next time I visit Kings Island I have to go through the same steps again, i would think the app would save this information.

I have gotten to use the BOGO Funnel cake offer though, it was quite yummy, first time I had ever had a funnel cake at Kings Island.

• Like 2

^Try uninstalling and reinstalling. That is exactly the problem I had been having after one of the updates, until I did a clean install.

I'm going to try signing up with a different email address next time I go, and see if I can finally get that funnel cake offer! :)

Other offers I received when I was there yesterday: free appetizer at RHOFG when you buy two entrees, only valid between certain hours (3-6 I think); Fast Lane Plus for $40, after 4:00 only; something buy one get one 50% off I think, but I can't remember what or where. Like the special gold bottle prize at the ring toss, I think they put more perks out on the weekends than weekdays. As they should.

• Like 4

Saw something interesting and new yesterday at the park. As we were walking along International Street, in the distance I heard drumming and initially thought it was The KI Five. But as we got closer, next to the fountains, there was a man wearing a multicolored-paint-splattered white painter's outfit, sitting next to a cart that said "Kings Island Paint Dept" with two overturned big plastic buckets that he was playing like drums.

I saw this guy walking past while waiting for the 3:00 Cirque Imagine show and wondered about him. Good to know!  :D

• Like 3

Having a good day. Finally got to sit and listen to the KI Five. Actually have run into them a few times.

Monster is showing signs of life.

As I was approaching the theater just before door opening for Cirque, I noticed someone familiar walking out of the "Authorized Personnel" area next to it. Well, he'd be hard not to notice or recognize, since he was already in makeup tho not costume: it was the shorter performer on the trampoline. I smiled and nodded at him as we passed one another.

Crowds are weird. I skipped AE because the line was to the back of the covered area. Walked around to the back of the park and almost skipped Beast because I assumed it must be 30-45 minutes then. But, it was a one train wait.

• Like 3

There are a few large groups here today, making lines a bit harder to predict. Banshee has had a longer line than a triple stacking Diamondback most of the day.

I really enjoyed seeing the 2015 edition of Cirque Imagine for the first time.

• Like 4

I really did. I even went back just before I left and scored 2430. I was sure I was going to beat the earlier score when I went into the skeletons about 150 ahead of my score at the same point earlier. But, my gun started malfunctioning and I ended one target short of my earlier score instead.

There was really only one downside of the day, and it was only a temporary setback, overall it is a good thing. Because someone else said they finally got the 50% off a funnel cake offer in the app, by re-registering with a different email address, I tried that and indeed it finally showed up! It is good for 30 days and presumably goes away once you use it once. As I went to leave a little before 9, I stopped by the new funnel cake stand to finally try the strawberry cheesecake topping that is this month's special. I asked the young man behind the counter if I could use the app coupon on one with toppings and he said "yes, but it has to be before 5." Incredulously I looked again at my phone, and finally noticed that text within the offer. So, next time I just need to get my butt over there before 5!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember there was some talk of Kroger tickets and ert before the board got rolled back so I emailed KI just out of curiosity (what follows is a direct quote)

The only time that the other person gets in with a KI pass holder is bring a friend day. The person that purchased the Kroger ticket can not get in early.

I've never gotten the 50% off funnel cakes one either even tho it promised. I am disappointed about that because I wanted to try this month's special cheesecake one.

I forget what it was, maybe on the website when they try to get you to download the app, but yesterday I saw something talking about a buy one get one free on funnel cakes after 5:00, but that didn't show up in the app either. Not that I need two of them.

Note: none of the offers show up when you're not actually at the park (or if you have location services off). Unless you have a non-iPhone and spoof your location apparently. I know that works for ride times at least.

So you need to be in the park to check wait times? That's a relief.

I remember there was some talk of Kroger tickets and ert before the board got rolled back so I emailed KI just out of curiosity (what follows is a direct quote)

The only time that the other person gets in with a KI pass holder is bring a friend day. The person that purchased the Kroger ticket can not get in early.

Well, if the receipts for the Kroger tickets state that you get ERT with them as was said before the revert, then either someone misunderstood your question or there was some sort of miscommunication between KI and Kroger.