Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Just found out that KI's webcams are streaming (see my post on the Current Wait Times thread); sweet! :D Also, I guess a few of the rides will be getting their POV's on the site pretty soon as I see boxes where the videos should be, but there's no video. 

• Like 3

Off the Charts sounded a lot better upon my 2nd viewing of them.  Some of those singers can hold notes really, really well and they're really showing energy and passion in their performances (on par with the good Cirque performances IMO).   The band looks like they're having an absolute blast.  

• Like 2

Well, I just wasted a few hours watching the web cams and have been timing most of the rides I could pick outs dispatches to try and estimate each ride's capacity. Some of the results kinda shocked me- I also timed all these rides at least 3 times to try get a "decent" sample size. My formula:

#1-Take 3600 seconds, aka how many seconds per hour.

#2-Divide by dispatch time in seconds to get # of dispatches per hour.

#3-Multiply by riders per train.

Here are my results based on what I saw on the webcams:

Banshee-CAM RIDES (Action Zone & Oktoberfest)

Banshee

1st: 90 seconds (1280pph)

2nd: 70 seconds (1646pph)

3rd: 60 seconds (1920pph)

4th: 135 seconds (853pph)
OK I did Banshee 4 times for the heck of it. :P  And wow- what awesome capacity. I thought #2 was amazing and then I got a 60-second dispatch which I assume was about as good as it gets (Train #1 was close to top of lift as #3 hit brakes). Of course, Banshee proved she is a mortal coaster- #4 was unsually long for this ride. I assume it must have been a walk-of-shame or something...but Holy Cow, if Banshee could do #3 all the time that would be 1900pph...crazy...

The Bat

1st: 135 seconds (747pph)

2nd: 110 seconds (916pph)

3rd: 140 seconds (720pph)
Ehh, compared to Banshee, poor Bat's capacity seems to be crud. Though I do think the crew could have gotten the ride out quicker- I saw Train #1 hit the brakes, then Train #2 took at least 20-30 more seconds to get on the lift it seemed on nearly ALL of these. 1000pph could be possible on a good day.

Adventure Express

1st: 120 seconds (900pph)

2nd: 110 seconds (982pph)
3rd: 180 seconds (600pph)

AE ended up doing a little better than Bat, but then #3 came up- I have to guess someone had some issue or something for it to take an extra minute to get out the door. With #2 hitting 982pph, I really think 1000pph+ is easily possible on AE, even with 2 trains (vs. the 3 it opened with).

Delirium

1st: 330 seconds (545pph)

2nd: 300 seconds (600pph)

3rd: 335 seconds (537pph)
Ugh. This was painful to test because it took 5 minutes between dispatches every time- which included the one-minute ride cycle because flats cannot run more than 1 train unlike roller coasters. Having 50 riders go at once negated it somewhat (nearly all coasters are 36 or less), but Delirium still falls several hundred riders short of the coasters tested above. Probably decent for a flat ride though. I didn't compare any of the smaller, lower-capacity flats...yet...hmm, perhaps I need to test Shake, Rattle, & Roll which I can see on the next webcam...I also didn't check Sling Shot or Xtreme Skyflyer as I figured they would be FAR worse, and are probably pay-per-rides for a reason.

And that was it for Banshee-cam rides...on the other webcam...

Diamondback CAM RIDES

Diamondback (DiamondStacks Labeled as such! :P )

#1: 120 seconds (960pph) "Diamondstack"

#2: 75 seconds (1536pph)
#3: 110 seconds (1047pph)
Well, I got a Stack, a great dispatch, and a near-stack (At 110 seconds, Train #3 is JUST getting on the lifthill). Even the stack was still nearly 1000pph though. So still better than most of the previously tested coasters and Delirium...minus Banshee of course. Now, when you get more dispatches like #2...

The Beast
#1: 110 seconds (1178pph)
#2: 130 seconds (997pph)
#3: 160 seconds (810pph)
Well, for Beast, the first dispatch I caught (these were a bit tricky as the train was a bit hard to spot on the webcam due to the ride's location) was the best and was very close to the ride's claimed 1200pph. But then it got worse and worse...well sorta, even #3 at 810pph isn't THAT horrible. I guess those huge 36-passenger trains really pay off for capacity. Oh, and I did the math- with one train, and a 5 minute 30 second dispatch estimation, my guess is my 1-train wait in 2011 ran at around 393pph...OUCH. :P

Vortex

#1: 120 seconds (840pph)

#2: 120 seconds (840pph)
#3: 100 seconds (1,008pph)
Wow, I was honestly expecting Vortex to do better than this given how it is always a 20-minute wait or so even when crowded. The crew did look a bit slow though- train #2 was just starting to climb the hill as #3 was in the station and #1 was hitting the main brakes on #1 and #2. On a better day, I could see Vortex getting down to 90 seconds between dispatches and using the MCBR- it would then pull around 1,120pph. So I guess perhaps I may have been wrong and it doesn't have B&M-like capacity...the short line really just is short...or the crew is just slow and the ride should be pulling 60-70 second dispatches and getting around 1440-1680pph.

Backlot Stunt Coaster
#1: 65 seconds (665pph)
#2: 65 seconds (665pph)
#3: 65 seconds (665pph)
Wow. What consistency by the BLSC crew. And getting even 3-car trains out so fast is impressive. Though said small trains keep capacity still a bit low at 665pph...it probably still beats Firehawk though. :P (My estimate for that is a measly 480pph but it could be around 720 on a good day as well...)

Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown

#1: 20 seconds (720pph)
#2: 15 seconds (960pph)
#3: 26 seconds (554pph)

WUT...LOG FLUME HAS BETTER CAPACITY AT TIMES THAN SOME COASTERS!?!? Even with only 4 riders max per log, the fact they are leaving in 15-20 seconds makes this a high capacity ride by my estimates. Wow...guess if the line looks long for this, it may really not be that bad. I'd assume White Water Canyon may be even better, since it's dispatch times seem similar and it can hold 8 riders per boat...wait, 1600pph possible for WWC!?!? Talk about a mind-blow...

And those are all the rides I checked...I may do more of this in the future, which will probably mainly include a Shake Rattle & Roll test to compare with Delirium. Anyhow, thanks for reading my crazy numbers mumbo jumbo. ;)

• Like 11

You should meet him. I think you two would be fast friends!

Having Googled him, it brought up a web site I think I've seen before with some interesting-looking articles about the tech behind coasters and stuff. So I'd have to assume that yes, we probably would become friends...  ;) 

• Like 2

Omg... Just got off of Diamondback. I rode the second row left side. The girl in front of me had her phone out the whole time recording the ride. I couldn't even enjoy it as I kept thinking she better not let go.

As we get off the crew member just asks her not to do it again. So they saw her and did nothing basically.

• Like 5

I swear it's going to take a serious injury, or worse, from a flying phone before the park takes it seriously and cracks down on it.

In my opinion, ANYONE found to have a phone or other device out on a coaster should be IMMEDIATELY ejected from the park, banned for one year, and arrested for violation of Ohio's RIder Responsibility Law on the FIRST offense. No warnings should ever be given for such a dangerous act. A second offense should be a lifetime ban and another arrest.

• Like 6

I followed them and snuck a picture from behind then sought out security to voice my displeasure. The guy said he would put out word to the other officers and look for them. Who knows if this is actually being done though. A phone to the head at 80 mph is potentially fatal.

• Like 8

As I was just waiting in line for Vortex I saw them in the train waiting to unload. I looked back to the midway and saw a security officer. Out of curiosity I walked back to him and asked if they were still looking for the group. He told me he didn't know anything about it. I recapped the story and he followed them a bit before deciding not to act. Really disappointing imo.

• Like 1

We went this morning and had a similar situation. I stayed with the baby while my husband and daughter rode Surf Dog. A man in the back was filming on his cell the whole time.  The operator came on the speaker at least 4x's and said "Please put away all cell phones".   He did not.

• Like 1

I rode Boo Blasters yesterday and to my amazement nearly everything was working. Even the tourist being chased by skeletons was working. Also, every target I hit was working which was quite a surprise. I had one of the highest scores I have had since they installed it, 2468. They put a little TLC into it it seems.

• Like 7

^ Or the promotion has proven more successful than they thought. Likely a combination of things.

Doesn't look like they're having much trouble with attendance today. Diamondback's line is out of the entrance, Banshee looks to have a good line. 

They need to open up the rest of the Diamondback queue though.

• Like 3

Looks like bring-a-friend Sundays are becoming commonplace - another one this Sunday (7/12) - let's hope KI is better prepared to handle than on 6/28!

Hrm. We were supposed to go for the youngest niece's birthday visit where she gets to be in charge. Looks like we might be picking a different day.

• Like 3

Here's a funny story. I was at the white-and-red geysers, and someone was at every other geyser at Whitewater Canyon, when, through the woods around the bend echoed the voice of the watchtower supervisor (the first one you encounter before the guest-geysers), professionally reminding someone to put away all electronic devices. Then, it happened. The second reminder... and then... the telegraph of all telegraphs: the desperately authoritative "Sir?" when you know the person simply ignored the rules, and was doing it "his way..."

You know, I've played in many softball games in my life where, for those rare, wonderful moments, the opposing pitcher just lays a freakin' meatball across your plate, so primed and ready for swatting clean out over the lights. At times like these, I can't help but lick my chops, rub my hands together and await what I just knooowwis going to be a most satisfying barrage of precision water-logging in a long, long time. 

Sure enough,  a guy (and his apparently unsuspecting boat-mates) came along, down below in the rapids, and he had his huge, expensive-looking tablet out, ostensibly filming away at the wonderful surroundings and brightly-colored tubes. For added measure, he had his pretty shoes up on the ring... on a water ride... a water ride with signs...  signs that warn...

We all kinda looked at one another, and with an almost harmonic "Mwa ha ha ha ha ha!", we unleashed the Kraken!

Oh, the gratification (and the quick pace through the woods back to the park... whistling... you know, like nothing ever happened...) :ph34r:

• Like 22

Here's a funny story. I was at the white-and-red geysers, and someone was at every other geyser at Whitewater Canyon, when, through the woods around the bend echoed the voice of the watchtower supervisor (the first one you encounter before the guest-geysers), professionally reminding someone to put away all electronic devices. Then, it happened. The second reminder... and then... the telegraph of all telegraphs: the desperately authoritative "Sir?" when you know the person simply ignored the rules, and was doing it "his way..."

You know, I've played in many softball games in my life where, for those rare, wonderful moments, the opposing pitcher just lays a freakin' meatball across your plate, so primed and ready for swatting clean out over the lights. At times like these, I can't help but lick my chops, rub my hands together and await what I just knooowwis going to be a most satisfying barrage of precision water-logging in a long, long time. 

Sure enough,  a guy (and his apparently unsuspecting boat-mates) came along, down below in the rapids, and he had his huge, expensive-looking tablet out, ostensibly filming away at the wonderful surroundings and brightly-colored tubes. For added measure, he had his pretty shoes up on the ring... on a water ride... a water ride with signs...  signs that warn...

We all kinda looked at one another, and with an almost harmonic "Mwa ha ha ha ha ha!", we unleashed the Kraken!

Oh, the gratification (and the quick pace through the woods back to the park... whistling... you know, like nothing ever happened...) :ph34r:

I use the geysers nearly as much as you, and I've found certain groups of guests are more fun to douse than others.  Its interesting to me to see how different people react.  But yeah, when you get those people who complain about getting wet on WWC, that's when you let 'em have it.   Life lessons via the power of H2O. 

• Like 8

One only hopes said device was utterly and completely ruined forevermore.

Well, proud as he seemed to be, I don't expect any surviving footage will wind up on any social media soon.

"Here I am in Whitewater Canyon. I'm so awesome, look at my hair, and these shoes! I just ignored that person in the tower, ain't I just the bee's knees? Oh, how I love my [sLOSH!] Hey! What the [GURGLE!] P'tooey! I don't like getting [KERSPASH!] Darn you! I'm going to [FWASPLUNK-SHHHHHH] Hey! Stop it you [GARGLE!] my shoes! [DRRRRRENCH!] P'tooey! Ptooey! That's not fair, I oughtta [GULP!] P'tooey! Alright, alrigh! Humph!"

Then, in his trademark, dry voice (pun intended), my favorite tower supervisor gets on his loudspeaker: "Boat 12 please put your feet down."

[splash! Splash!] "D'Oh!"

• Like 14

I swear it's going to take a serious injury, or worse, from a flying phone before the park takes it seriously and cracks down on it.

In my opinion, ANYONE found to have a phone or other device out on a coaster should be IMMEDIATELY ejected from the park, banned for one year, and arrested for violation of Ohio's RIder Responsibility Law on the FIRST offense. No warnings should ever be given for such a dangerous act. A second offense should be a lifetime ban and another arrest.

Sadly, that's probably the case.  I can see not enforcing the rider responsibility law on guests with arms up, because that's not nearly as likely to cause injury.  That and really bad PR.  However, loose articles in hand should definitely be taken seriously.  We just got back from Carowinds where I saw quite a few guests with phones, GoPro, and even glasses in hand.  Even on Fury 325; an op told her she could even leave them on, so long as she didn't turn her head..?

Express your sentiments to Guest Relations.

They need to know other riders are not amused by the ride ops' tolerating such acts. The ride ops, in turn, are probably following park policy. The park apparently does not see this as even a minor problem.

And that's sad.

Carowinds' policy is apparently to close the loading gates on guests who are on the station floor waiting from passengers to disembark before boarding.  Gates controlled by individual industrial-grade pneumatic cylinders, so they pack quite a punch.  Guest Services will definitely be hearing about that.

I was going to my car today in the parking lot and I saw 2 McDonald's bags in different spots filled with trash. This ticks me off. Why would you be so lazy as to stuff your garbage in a McDonald's bag and assume someone else is going to pick it up??? There are garbage cans everywhere... Use them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to my car today in the parking lot and I saw 2 McDonald's bags in different spots filled with trash. This ticks me off. Why would you be so lazy as to stuff your garbage in a McDonald's bag and assume someone else is going to pick it up??? There are garbage cans everywhere... Use them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was pleasently shocked at how many trash cans they had out in the parking lot. But it was still very disappointing to see how much trash was just thrown on the outside of cars. I know Kings Island owns a street sweeper but that doesn't make it acceptable.

It doesn't matter how many trash cans a park has..  There will always be guests who can't be bothered to throw it away.  Just look at the parking lot at the end of the night on any public operating day; it'll be littered with garbage.  Grr!

Things I found on the ground today at KI:

Seven pennies

Three dimes

Two little plastic goldfish (one green, one orange)

Someone's Gold Pass (I dropped off in Guest Services)

I found a credit card on the walkway from the sidewalk during CoasterStock..  Just kinda chilling (warming) there on the concrete.  Ran that straight to guest services.

• Like 5