Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

We had great timing today; there was a slight drizzle when we arrived, but no more rain until the skies opened up as we were leaving the parking lot.

I've chaperoned a few trips to KI and CP and it is always interesting to hear the reasoning and logic behind a kid not wanting to ride certain rides. Some rides were deemed too scary or extreme because they lifted above the ground but the Whirlybirds and Sally's Seaplane were okay. The Scrambler is almost too fast. Space Buggies bouncing is okay but not Kite Eating Tree. I love kids.

We reached a point in the afternoon when I realized they needed a break from standing in lines at Planet Snoopy. Executive decision made and we were off to see Cirque Imagine before dinner. Smart choice as all three of them (and me, of course!) loved it. Their reactions were so fun to hear and watch.

It was a very different trip than my norm as I volunteered to take the non-coaster riding group. I go so often that I figured I would let the chaperones that don't get to visit ride all the big stuff. At the end of the day, my group of kids seemed to have a blast and that is all that matters.

• Like 7

One thing I forgot to share, was how we entered the park yesterday. It was raining and we were doing the restroom stop/pass out tickets thing before entering the gates. We start hearing music, live music playing. There was a group of musicians performing under the awning just past the entry gates. It was lively, sounded great and perked us up. It was such a happy start to our day.  

I also saw the drummer! We were making a dash to the restroom when I heard and then saw him outside RHFG. By the time we left the restrooms, he was walking away through Planet Snoopy. I hope to catch him with my niece and nephews so we can sit and listen. 

• Like 3

The KI Five are indeed back this year. I saw them earlier today in fact. Unfortunately they were hurriedly escaping the rain, so I didn't get to hear them today, but I did enjoy when I've heard them other times this season.

I also saw the KI Paint Department drummer again today. He was letting some kids join him on the bucket drums, teaching them how to follow a rhythm. It was pretty cool.

• Like 7

^Sounds like a great day! Still haven't tried Drop Tower...

Thanks everyone for the answers about rides running in the rain! I'm looking forward to a fun day with my cousins next week. Here's hoping that the all star game and Nascar race don't bring many people to Kings Island on Monday!

• Like 3

Well, I headed out earlier than I thought I would today. Just exhausted! The "Epic, 2015 Thrill Biscuit Season of Amusement Park Therapy" continues...

Was a good trip today. Wore my airbrushed "Tb KIC" shirt and made my way over to Kings Island.  Got in early enough to park at the edge of the preferred lot (I call it "half-preferred parking"), and got in the pre-Anthem line. I met fellow KIC'er MDMC01, chatted a bit over some Starbucks and then split off into the rapidly-growing crowds to start another KI day.

I Got in a mini-marathon of 3 rides on The Bat (until the line got about to the top of the hill, uncharacteristically fast for that ride so early in the day); experienced my first-ever, mid-ride, claustrophobic "overclick", which scrunched my 6'3" frame into a hunched ball (tall people: avoid the back-seats of Bat cars!) I had to take deep breaths and wait patiently for the train to be released from the "landing zone," back to the "loading zone," so that the oppressively tight horse collar could be mercifully released! Lesson learned!

Caught Panda Express right at opening, and enjoyed some noodles, Pepper Chicken and Crab Rangoons on the patio, watching for "harmonic convergences" of Delirium and Banshee, listening to the caller at the prize wheel echo along the crowded midway.  I noticed something: there's a never ending stream of people who've never seen (and are blown away by) the view of Action Zone emerging from the overhanging trees as they make their way along the "International Street-to-Action Zone corridor".  Watching their expressions as they realize how awesome Kings Island really is never gets old to this old fanboy. 

Made my way to Banshee and said "Hi" to DonKIPR, who was walking about. Saw that the line was about a span of geological time and, not wanting to stand around for that long, I went toward my beloved landmark, the Eiffel Tower.

The elevator ride up was pure sardines, and at the top, the deck was completely wet and there was no breeze! The degree to which "darnest" things were being said was extremely high (despite its bright yellowish-and-red coloring, we apparently now have a coaster called the "Black Diamond!"), and I didn't feel like helping anyone with knowing their attractions today, so I immediately came back down in a less-cramped 'vator (using park lingo) and headed off to WWC, because I simply cannot help myself, savvy?

Twenty-seven boats sent to Davy Jones' Locker.

As always, amazing fun and laughs ensued and, after a long, slow trek back through the beautiful woods, I made my way towards The Beast, but turned around and headed for the parking lot. 

EDIT: Removed paragraph to avoid turning into script for next Diane Keaton movie... :P

So, it was another memorable day at my fave park. I'll probably head over there tomorrow, too (gotta get on Vortex sometime this season!)

• Like 11

I just got back from the park and had a blast! Though it was pretty crowded (because Saturday), I still got to enjoy a decent amount of rides/attractions. Highlights include: my first ever Starbucks drink (thanks Tb!), Slingshot, petting the adorable piglet at the Petting Farm, Delirium, Dodgem, Banshee's insane line (approx. 1 hour wait, but she was still worth it!), Cirque Imagine, and Blue Racer. I also took 2 flights on The Bat, which was pretty fun.

• Like 5

The kids were so excited about Kings Island as they haven't been since May so we are still going tomorrow. My sister already knows about the BAF event and potential crowds. I'm hoping it will really just depend on how the weather pans out. This is the niece's birthday visit where she gets to be the boss for what to ride and where to explore.

She may be tall enough for White Water Canyon... At least the boys are; I'm going to have to bring some dollar bills as I love the oldest nephew's reaction when he sees me at the cannons. :)

• Like 5

Question: Can people with tickets purchased by a Gold Pass holder get into the park for ERT just like the Gold Pass or can only the Gold Pass holder get in early? I'd like for me and my friends to get to the park early enough to hopefully beat the rain tomorrow and ride things early. Thanks!

• Like 1

^I don't think you can use ERT on single day (or two day) tickets bought at the park.

However you can buy a ticket from like a Kroger or a Mejer that does have an ERT with it.

And for the most part them tickets can be bought cheaper than what you will pay at the park.

I'd look around if that's what your plan is. Hope that helps.

To answer my own question: I emailed Kings Island asking if the $40 bring a friend tickets get ERT like gold passes and I was told twice that they DO get ERT. In case I get any stick from staff at the gold pass entrances, I am saving the email to prove it. I am looking forward to a rained out hopefully quiet park tomorrow!

• Like 2